Snipe-be-Gone?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by cleanheadsteve, Jul 14, 2020.

1. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i attach a board or whatever u have that is firm, wont flex, and has a slick top, to my planer and just run my boards over this instead of the flimsy flexible infeed/outfeed tables. cured my snipe problems right away. i will wax or use pam cooking spray to keep things slick. i just use double sided tape to keep the board in place. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

RodeoTex and MarkA like this.
  2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You can also use what we here in Australia "Form Ply" which is a thick plywood with one perfectly flat plastic or phenolic surface to make for an easy release when setting concrete.

I have two router tables both using form ply tops and I believe it is just as good as the artificial marble / stone counter tops without being brittle with the chance of shattering if something heavy should drop onto it.

DC

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    ale.istotle likes this.
  3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Here, we have what's called "Melamine Panels" which is probably the same thing by the sounds of it.

4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

We have the same stuff here in States, Dave. Good stuff :).

I've used hundreds of sheets of it as a part of forming systems for poured concrete walls, columns, etc.

Much stronger and more durable than standard plywood.

It has a high ply count and a real tough phenolic surface that stands up to repeated scraping and applications of form release oil.

It's tough enough to stand up to the beating it gets on a construction site :).

I haven't bought any for close to 20 years. It was around $45 bucks a sheet for the 3/4" thickness back then.

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi George! It really is a great product and I think it's just perfect for things such as router table tops and various jigs that we sawdust makers rely on to create jigs and other aids that last without warping and shape shifting. I always have a sheet of it in my shed and when it gets too small to be of much use I invest in another sheet.

DC

Regards DC

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    old wrench likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.