Snapping off Screwheads/ drill bits - A Dark Art!!!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Time to finish off the guitar, job basically done, just add pickguard screws, strap buttons, String trees and Machine heads. EASY!!
    What can go wrong, drill a pilot hole and screw that sucker in, right?
    WRONG!!!! Stuff up an otherwise flawless Guitar Build :mad::mad::mad:

This is embarrassing, but I now qualify for some award for snapping off small screws in bodies and necks!!!!:(

And I've read the articles on Stew Mac and others on pilot hole sizing, I try to be careful, so why do I still get 'em wrong????

What trick do you use to size small pilot holes for those String trees and machine head screws especially?

And how do you go about drilling a screw out with minimal damage like on a natural wood peg head where any oversize hole from preying the leftovers out will be visible?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a drill index measurement plate to measure the screw diameter and then use a pilot bit a little smaller. Then the screw gets some wax on the threads. A new phillips screwdriver the correct size helps too.

You can take a piece of brass tubing and file teeth in it. This saws around the screw remnant and then you bust it out. Replace the wood with new face grain plug. Wood end grain doesn't hold screws so well.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/broke-the-head-off-a-pickguard-screw.808931/

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...MIiqvchbCc5wIVyp6zCh33WwyVEAQYASABEgKNZPD_BwE

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Tool_Demo_Videos/Guitar_Screw_Rescue_Kit_V-1709.html

Treadplatedual and Slowtwitch like this.
  3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

When in doubt I install a stainless screw, remove, then install the screw I want.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Bees Wax

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

^^This.. I've never snapped a screw even using cheap Chinese tuners. They go in like butter. I do the same as Marty and use a guide.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.