1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Snap Crackle & Pop?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by davetcan, Apr 26, 2004.

1. davetcan

davetcan Tele-Meister

Guys my CVR has just started some pretty loud static type noises when I first fire it up. I don't use it very much anymore and even when I do it's only for 1/2 hr or so. Any ideas what it might be? It clears up and sounds normal after about a minute or so, and it's not affected by the volume control at all, i.e. with volume fully off the snap crackle and pop is still loud. Tubes "look" alright.

Dave

2. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

trying changing the pre amp tube

frankly if it settles down once it's warmed up that's okay.
    how does the amp sound otherwise?

3. davetcan

davetcan Tele-Meister

Thanks Stan, I played it for over an hour yesterday and when I turned it on today no problem. Guess it was just upset at not being used too much :D
    As far as tone, I really like it. It works very well with both my Tele's. There's not much clean headroom available though, starts to break up around 3 or 4, although that's still pretty loud. I've got the jensen re-issues in mine but word on the street is that a pair of good speakers, such as the celestion vintage 10's, are a huge improvement.

Dave

4. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

speakers etc

I don't think you have a speaker problem.
    has your amp always broken up at 3-4?
    has anything been done to this amp recently?
    do you store this amp in a damp area( this is a no no)?

5. davetcan

davetcan Tele-Meister

No! No! Sorry if I mislead you Stan. From what I understand the amp is designed to break up early. I have no speaker problems, I was just referring to comments made on the Fender Forum about improving the overall sound of the amp. I'm really pleased with mine and the snap! crackle! problem has gone since I played it extensively the other day. This is an amp that works extremely well with a Tele as long as you can live with the early breakup.

Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.