1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Snakehead telecaster kit

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sbrnrmf, Jan 2, 2017.

1. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

I'll admit, I've never been a huge telecaster fan until probably as of recently. I've always been a Les Paul Junior fan. The thing that has caught my eye about the snakehead tele is the simplicity of the 1 pickup design and how far it dates back. I knew I could never afford one or even a reissue, so I'd searched online and found a few and have been blown away. I had ordered a kit and assembled it. I'd bought 2 assembled ones and took them apart and did my own mods. I wasn't going for a relic'd finish. I just don't have any experience finishing guitars. But I knew one of the teles needed a double cutaway much like the Juniors I've always loved. Kinda reminds me of an Epiphone Wilshire or Crestwood. SAM_0269.JPG SAM_0270.JPG

radiocaster, syrynx and Unpossible like this.
  2. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

Nice! Didn't know there were kits out there. Well done - have fun in the self made tele prototype (postotype perhaps?)land.

3. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

great, looks nice

4. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Did you do that cutaway?

5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

One pickup means one Esquire, not Tele.

6. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

That's cool. Where did you find the kit and are you happy with it?

7. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

I did the cutaway myself with a drill bit. Saw someone do it on youtube. This kit is really cool. The neck is nice and solid like a baseball bat much like that of a 50's Gibson neck. The body is nice and solid and dense swamp ash. Decent hardware and pickup. Totally dig. I have 3!

8. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

9. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

probably the exact kit from China. Great quality!

10. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

china seems to be upping there game with these kits.

11. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

some of these kits are hit or miss. Just do the research on the woods. I know usually there are stock pics of these kits. But if there's a return policy and you don't like what you're getting, use it. I did. I had gotten 2 tele kits: one 12-string tele and a thinline and the bodies were made out of empress. I don't know or ever heard of that type of wood, but it was almost like balsa wood which I'd used to make these thin airplane gliders as a kid. Just gotta do the research and know what you're getting.

12. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Interesting. Didn't actually see a price. Do you mind if I ask how much, how long was shipping, and how much work did it need beyond finishing and setup?

13. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

The kit I'd found was on eBay. I'd gotten mine on auction and won it for $90 and that's with the shipping. I was lucky. The other 2 I'd found on eBay were ones which were already built: 1 was built from a kit and the other one was already a complete. I think they're of the Cozart brand which is probably out of China. The kit guitar was swamp ash and the neck is like a baseball bat. Those 2 guitars are pretty solid. The complete with finish doesn't seem to be as great. The neck isn't as chunky. Still cool, but not as. Neck seems to be like a 60's slim-tapered.

Not much else after you finish it and set it up. I would probably recommend better tuners. The pickups are decent. No soldering at all.

14. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I like the Jr. pick guard. did you have to mod it to fit?

15. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

I did have to get new bridge saddles. The stock ones suck ass!

The Junior pickguard is one I'd ordered on eBay and it's usually for the single cutaway Junior. Didn't have to mod it.

16. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

I'd just ordered some string trees, ones which are for all six strings. The strings tend to stick up and out at the headstock. I was bending some notes on some strings, probably the G-string and it popped out of the nut. I think the string tree may help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.