Snake story.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
This is a true story, only the swear words have been changed to protect the innocent.

I've caught a few snakes in my time.
I worked as a wildlife rescuer for 6 years and my specialty was reptiles of all types, snakes lizards....lizards and snakes...and that's it, luckily I live on the mid north coast of NSW so no crocodiles for me.
My tale starts as they all did with a call from the phone operator from WIRES (Wildlife,Information rescue service).
Jimmy we have a single mother with 5 kids who says she has a snake in her roof and could I come and take it away.
This was strange because I technically wasn't allowed in roofs to catch anything for insurance reasons but being stupid I said OK, I'd done it before so no problems, it could only be a carpet python and I'd caught hundreds of them so no worries.
I get to her house and she walks me inside and shows me the kitchen skylight and sure enough there's the silhouette of a snake lying on top of the skylight sunning itself, the skylight is in the corner of the kitchen not far from the edge of the roof so there won't be much room for me inside but she's worried and a little bit cute so of I go.
I scramble my way to the skylight and eventually get myself close enough to touch it, I'm sitting on a roof beam, my knees are up around my ears and I'm hunched over with very little room to operate, I have my snake bag and snake stick(modified golf club with a padded end for holding them down or herding them into the bag) with me and things are very claustrophobic.
The skylight has a corrugated foil surround and I see I can probably just lift one side of it up and grab old snakey and just stick it in the bag so with my the end of my snake stick I slowly lift up the edge of the foil surround, as I lift i start to see scales and so I lift further and further and I keep seeing the same scales from the same snake and I suddenly realise this particular snake might be a big one so I decide I'm going to lift the remainder of the foil up quickly and try and grab the beasty behind it's head and just cram it into the bag.
I jerk the foil up fast and freeze, lying their looking at me is the largest carpet python I've ever seen and it's not alone, what I've stumbled upon is a mating ball, basically a snake orgy where several males will copulated with the same female.
Hold your hand at arms length in front of your face, that's how big it's head was.
Having been disturbed the horror ball now starts unraveling and the huge female starts crawling out straight into my lap.
I can't do anything, carpet pythons are insanely strong and this one is massive so I sit there all hunched up in a freaking roof while snakezilla takes a leisurely crawl over me and disappears into the roof beams.
When I was sure she was gone I made a valiant effort and managed to catch two of the males both of which were of a respectable size but had to leave two other males and the giant behind as God himself couldn't have gotten me back in that roof.
The next day the guy who taught me how to wrangle reptiles came around and finished the job, he simply lifted the skylight out and dumped the big girl into a bag...wish I had of thought of that.
End of story.

th-2693744958.jpg

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
My wife and I actually like snakes. Way back we kept them as pets. Mainly Pythons and Boas. Recently we've been thinking about getting a corn snake. Super small and way more colorful than the ones in our past.

When I was stationed at a Navy base in San Diego back in the early '70s I took on a side gig collecting rattlesnakes for venom extraction to make antivenom. I was just the canvas bag holder. My partner / boss would slip a loop on a stick over the snakes head, lift them over the opening of the bag I was holding and release them. I'd cinch the top closed. When we had enough we've drive back to the University where the crazy's would work their magic. I know it was important work but I only lasted a few months. Maybe if the snakes didn't have rattles,, ( which really bothered me), I'd have done it for a longer period but ....... by the second month on the job I'd go to sleep hearing those rattles in my head. It was just to much. It didn't make me fear or dislike snakes in general but it sure as hell put the fear of God in me when it came to venomous varieties. Looking scary like a Cottonmouth is one thing but, sounding scary like a Rattlesnake is a whole different experience I wanted to earn some extra bread but this was obviously not my calling.

Jimmywrangles,
Considering your home turf and the number of venomous snakes that reside there ..... what are your thoughts on venomous snakes. I live in Missouri where we have copperheads, cotton mouths and rattlesnakes. Compared to the snakes in Australia these are probably small time in comparison. Any insight on how to co-exist in in Australia's environment? I've heard so many tales about "Browns" etc. that I tend to question the average Australians number of contacts with these venomous snakes. Are they really that common? Do the TV shows just bump up the number to create interest or fear? Rattlers ended up freaking me out. I'm not sure I could handle the snake infested environment so many shows make Australia out to be. Either the shows are fake or Australian folk must be born with balls that drag the ground.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
My wife and I actually like snakes. Way back we kept them as pets. Mainly Pythons and Boas. Recently we've been thinking about getting a corn snake. Super small and way more colorful than the ones in our past.

When I was stationed at a Navy base in San Diego back in the early '70s I took on a side gig collecting rattlesnakes for venom extraction to make antivenom. I was just the canvas bag holder. My partner / boss would slip a loop on a stick over the snakes head, lift them over the opening of the bag I was holding and release them. I'd cinch the top closed. When we had enough we've drive back to the University where the crazy's would work their magic. I know it was important work but I only lasted a few months. Maybe if the snakes didn't have rattles,, ( which really bothered me), I'd have done it for a longer period but ....... by the second month on the job I'd go to sleep hearing those rattles in my head. It was just to much. It didn't make me fear or dislike snakes in general but it sure as hell put the fear of God in me when it came to venomous varieties. Looking scary like a Cottonmouth is one thing but, sounding scary like a Rattlesnake is a whole different experience I wanted to earn some extra bread but this was obviously not my calling.

Jimmywrangles,
Considering your home turf and the number of venomous snakes that reside there ..... what are your thoughts on venomous snakes. I live in Missouri where we have copperheads, cotton mouths and rattlesnakes. Compared to the snakes in Australia these are probably small time in comparison. Any insight on how to co-exist in in Australia's environment? I've heard so many tales about "Browns" etc. that I tend to question the average Australians number of contacts with these venomous snakes. Are they really that common? Do the TV shows just bump up the number to create interest or fear? Rattlers ended up freaking me out. I'm not sure I could handle the snake infested environment so many shows make Australia out to be. Either the shows are fake or Australian folk must be born with balls that drag the ground.
Any venomous snake deserves your respect but they fundamentally don't want anything to do with humans so all you really have to do is give them some room and they'll go away eventually, I don't like it when people kill snakes but I don't preach, snakes are scary.
As for Eastern Brown snakes I've only ever caught a few, to complete a training course you had to catch Brown Snakes and I had to do refresher courses every other year so I suppose I've caught a dozen or so.
The further North you travel the more prevalent they become but my area in NSW is to cold for them thank God, they are truly scary, not a big snake but small and fast rarely over 5 feet long but whippy and with an attitude.
I had to deal with Black snakes and a few types of tiger snake so I didn't always get it easy.
Australia is not snake infested, Until I became a handler I'd only ever seen two or three. That being said there are lots of them but they keep to themselves in the bushes or the trees and unless you're very unlucky you never see them.
Most of the snakes I ever rescued were in recently developed areas where they'd been pushed out of their homes.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's

Jimmywrangles,

Living in AZ, there's lots of rattlers. That rattle sound instantly triggers something basic in the reptilian fear part of our own brains when you hear it. You don't have to learn it; a switch just flips.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Anything larger than an Indigo Snake, I'll gladly leave to someone else - that it be disposed of entirely.

But I already miss our Resident Timber Rattler. He had a warm spot all to himself, in some rocks out to the front of the main parcel. He was a reliable presence all summer, but I guess he's headed south to Chile or something for the season. Four feet, but a chunky 4 feet - really kept the mice at bay this year.

Paull

TDPRI Member
This is a true story, only the swear words have been changed to protect the innocent.

I've caught a few snakes in my time.
I worked as a wildlife rescuer for 6 years and my specialty was reptiles of all types, snakes lizards....lizards and snakes...and that's it, luckily I live on the mid north coast of NSW so no crocodiles for me.
My tale starts as they all did with a call from the phone operator from WIRES (Wildlife,Information rescue service).
Jimmy we have a single mother with 5 kids who says she has a snake in her roof and could I come and take it away.
This was strange because I technically wasn't allowed in roofs to catch anything for insurance reasons but being stupid I said OK, I'd done it before so no problems, it could only be a carpet python and I'd caught hundreds of them so no worries.
I get to her house and she walks me inside and shows me the kitchen skylight and sure enough there's the silhouette of a snake lying on top of the skylight sunning itself, the skylight is in the corner of the kitchen not far from the edge of the roof so there won't be much room for me inside but she's worried and a little bit cute so of I go.
I scramble my way to the skylight and eventually get myself close enough to touch it, I'm sitting on a roof beam, my knees are up around my ears and I'm hunched over with very little room to operate, I have my snake bag and snake stick(modified golf club with a padded end for holding them down or herding them into the bag) with me and things are very claustrophobic.
The skylight has a corrugated foil surround and I see I can probably just lift one side of it up and grab old snakey and just stick it in the bag so with my the end of my snake stick I slowly lift up the edge of the foil surround, as I lift i start to see scales and so I lift further and further and I keep seeing the same scales from the same snake and I suddenly realise this particular snake might be a big one so I decide I'm going to lift the remainder of the foil up quickly and try and grab the beasty behind it's head and just cram it into the bag.
I jerk the foil up fast and freeze, lying their looking at me is the largest carpet python I've ever seen and it's not alone, what I've stumbled upon is a mating ball, basically a snake orgy where several males will copulated with the same female.
Hold your hand at arms length in front of your face, that's how big it's head was.
Having been disturbed the horror ball now starts unraveling and the huge female starts crawling out straight into my lap.
I can't do anything, carpet pythons are insanely strong and this one is massive so I sit there all hunched up in a freaking roof while snakezilla takes a leisurely crawl over me and disappears into the roof beams.
When I was sure she was gone I made a valiant effort and managed to catch two of the males both of which were of a respectable size but had to leave two other males and the giant behind as God himself couldn't have gotten me back in that roof.
The next day the guy who taught me how to wrangle reptiles came around and finished the job, he simply lifted the skylight out and dumped the big girl into a bag...wish I had of thought of that.
End of story.

View attachment 1032342
Beautiful!

Dadzmad

Tele-Meister
About 4 months ago I moved to the East Valley area of the Inland Empire in CA. I live by the groves on the edge of it all. 3 nights ago I nearly stepped on what turned out to be a 40"+ 10 rattle Diamondback about 10 feet from my back door. I'm generally a live and let live kind of guy and know that this critter eats mice etc and has a role to play out here. I am ok with the Tarantulas patrolling the perimeter as they eat Scorpions. But this snake was too big and too close to the house. Sooner or later someone would be accidentally bit and have to be hospitalized. I shot the snake but don't feel good about it.