Snake sighting

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Junkyard Dog, Jun 18, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I didn t play that video, i m afraid of them. I Just hope this is an animatronic.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I'm not afraid of them if I see them first.
    I sure hate nearly stepping on them.

dougstrum and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We don't really have copperheads up north here, however
    we do have fox snakes. They get killed since folks
    think they are copperheads. Sad but true.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Camping with the Cub Scouts, about 60 boys and 10 adults hiking in western Maryland. When we get back to the camp site, the guy who had the tail end of the group discovered a copperhead stuck to his boot. The snake had struck and couldn't release.

So don't get the wrong idea from the great stories of people trifling with poisonous snakes. They are wild animals and they will strike if they feel threatened.

william tele and uriah1 like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wow!
    A snake with it’s own theme music!

william tele, Zepfan and Fiesta Red like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I respect snakes. I’m not afraid of them, and they’re an important part of the ecosystem. However...

Water moccasins/cotton mouths give me the bad willies. They’re aggressive, fast and their breeding method is freaky.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry, someone had to do it:

djh22, william tele and Telecaster88 like this.
  8. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Northcentral Pennsylvania a couple of years ago. Riding my motorcycle I came around a bend and this fella was sunning himself on the road. He was stretched out full length when I passed and curled up when I went back to get a picture. About a 2 1/2 - 3 footer. And yep, he was rattling.
    100_2915.JPG

9. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well, this area is Snake Central. Copperheads, Water Moccasins, Cotton Mouth, Eastern Diamondback, even Coral Snakes. Plenty of non-venomous fellas too. Not one of them is an attacker - i.e. aggressive. They only attack if they think they're threatened or cornered. So, don't threaten or corner them :)

We do occasionally have to put one down because of proximity to kids. Unfortunate, but an easy call.

william tele and uriah1 like this.
  10. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

Saved this little guy from a building I was demolishing a couple months ago. Rat snake about 20 inches long 02793110-8E57-4D87-ADE0-6A1ED4043107.jpeg

uriah1 and Telecaster88 like this.
  11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I m glad there are no poisonous snakes here on the island. They were all chased out by Saint Frank (Perdue) , any trying to stay were made into nuggets since they taste like chicken.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Obsessed and verb boten like this.
  13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Last month, we had a local killed by a copperhead. Unfortunately for him, the article said he was probably allergic as copperheads are the 'least venomous' of the north American poisonous snakes. As a kid, I was interested in snakes and kept several non-poisonous types (usually just for a few weeks and then let them go). I had a beautiful (56" long) black Rat snake that would follow me around the yard like a dog.

I pulled up more than one bit of tin on the ground to find a copperhead coiled up and sleeping off a good feed. Tin went back down and I moved along!

Rattlesnakes are pretty common in this area. Karst landscape, lots of nooks and crannies, small caves.

14. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I think the south and SE USA have more deadly snakes than any place but Australia, and you mentioned them all. As kids growing up in eastern Ky, we were warned about copperheads moreso than the rest, it seems they are more likely to go after you than the others. I was small but remember my dad having a CH pinned with a shovel while sending me to the house for the shotgun and a shell....he never passed up the chance to kill one.

uriah1 and Zepfan like this.
  15. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Most poison snakes are "pit vipers" and are identifiable by their triangular heads.

verb boten and uriah1 like this.
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The Corn Snake looks a lot like a Copperhead, but the shape of the head and the pits between the nose and eye's are all you need to focus on. Rattles do get your attention.

Australia seems to have the most of anything that's venomous and deadly.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I lived in Alabama as a child, snakes were so common, nobody got much excited about seeing one. In the spring one year, my daddy was plowing the cotton allotment land with a team of horses, I was walking along behind him in the furrow and he plowed up a snake ball. Me being barefooted and all I stepped pretty lively to avoid them. They were all very sluggish at just being disturbed, but didn't take long to get moving, and most of 'em were not happy to have been disturbed.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It’s the real estate inverse: the nicer a place is/more desirable it is to live there, the more things there are to kill you.

So here ? Nothing . And I know it bugs my cats because just the other day one of them looked at me and said “hey how bout some snakes ?”

I didn’t know what to say mainly because I didn’t know she could talk.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Breckenridge mountain is covered with rattlesnakes. The ranchers carry shotguns to dispatch them, or did when I used to hunt there, because they descend on the water troughs at sundown. I don't know if they drink, or just prey on the small animals that come there for the water. They WILL bite a cow though. I've seen many a cow with swollen jaws where they've been bitten. I know the ranchers hate 'em.

william tele and verb boten like this.
  20. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My daughter is scared of spiders. I e-mailed that video to her awhile back. Hehehe
    That's a big spider there.

johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.