1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Snake Oil Dept. What is "Tone Aging for your Guitar"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marshall_Stack, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

For the guitar-owner with everything.....but brains. :rolleyes:

2. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i mean this in the nicest possible way and i'm not personally attacking you, but...with all due respect, that's not how physics work. two of your examples are hearsay and anecdotal, which isn't proof of anything. what i think may have happened with your personal account regarding your viola is what is called "confirmation bias": you think you heard a difference because you expected to (whether consciously or not), not because there actually was one. Confirmation Bias is a very real and observable thing and it happens all the time, to everyone.

but there's also this: "They were, surprisingly, allowed to take the cello into some different rooms to try it out." absolutely logical explanation for why it sounded different. unless they sat in one specific spot and one person played it the exact same way for the entire event, this is the most rational explanation for what they may thought they heard.

and: "...but that could have been my playing technique after a period of absence." again a very rational and logical conclusion, and one that many (if not most) of us here have experienced first hand.

3. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

That is just so sad. :(

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

A guy with good chops and a processed or aged vintage guitar will sound way better than a wanker with a new axe.

That's another inconclusive bottom line. ;)

5. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, they could really improve their bottom line if they just realized that they don't need to do anything to it, as just shipping back and forth through UPS etc. provides all the vibratory exercise anything could ever need or in many cases withstand! :lol:

6. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

7. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

No offence taken and I agree on both instances. :D I was merely dredging up a couple of anecdotes to keep the thread rolling along, to spark further discussion and to throw spanners in the works. :D

With my viola, I have a hunch that I was merely playing it 'better' and 'worse'. It is a difficult instrument to 'dial it in' on, because it relies so much on muscle memory, touch and feel.

8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

now that is a great businessplan.

9. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Isn't that what happens at raves?

10. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Just took my MDF body tele out of the cement mixer.
    Incredible difference in tone.

It now sounds like heavy-density fibreboard.
    With rebar!

This is no longer a guitar meant for playing - it is a guitar tuned for hand to hand combat!

Good on ya.

11. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

12. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

I've noticed it on my Martin, it takes a bit of playing for the sound to "open up" after it's sat in its case for awhile... which reminds me, I need to pull it out and play it again!

For solidbodies, methinks you can get more improvement with a good setup, and just playing the thing... there is some truth to the "vibrating the wood" theory (it's related to a theory in screen printing called "work hardening" where a nylon mesh screen gets stronger with use) but the difference is far subtler than an acoustic. You might also get a larger change in tone (note I didn't say better) by stripping the finish and playing it bare...

Franc Robert

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

There's less difference between cheap and expensive pickups than you might expect. Besides they are really just microphones, they do not generate the sound. You might get better sensitivity or frequency range, or output level, but they do not produce the timbre.

You can put the best pickups in the world into a poor sounding guitar and it will still sound bad, done that.
    Pickups that sound bright and zingy in one guitar sound 'brown' in the other, like it did with its original pickups, done that too.

Mini pots are less reliable than full size but full Alphas are every bit as good as CTS. A capacitor is a capacitor and if you have paid more than 37p for the best 'audiophile' ones then you have been royally ripped off.

I've no idea what tonal qualities tuners might have but cheap and nasty ones work just fine.

14. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Just blast some " Bach on 45" to the guitar and be done.
    beware though - if you over do it you get nitro cellulite.

15. TellySavalas

TellySavalas Tele-Meister

Wow. That just sounds utterly stupid. Granted, I'm a purist as far as aging an instrument goes. Gimmie a new Tele or Strat and 3/4 gigs a week and I'll have it looking like a 1963 relic in no time flat :twisted:

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seriously? Microphones?

17. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I think you are very selectively quoting him to undermine what is an otherwise fairly well explained post. In context;

"There's less difference between cheap and expensive pickups than you might expect. Besides they are really just microphones, they do not generate the sound. You might get better sensitivity or frequency range, or output level, but they do not produce the timbre."

The first bit is fairly accurate. Short of better magnets, different coil-wire gauge, magnet material, magnet size, number of winds, bobbin material and over-arching construction technique (humbucker, P90, single coil), most pickups adhere to some basic principles. All changes to any of the above attributes make measurable and well known changes to the tone.

18. mr_hankey

mr_hankey Tele-Meister

Cheap pots and expensive pots both contain carbon composite tracks, and really only differ in reliability and (sometimes) feel. Capacitor construction can make a difference, but it's extremely insignificant within an electric guitar. They can make a difference in amps, somewhere between "undetectable" and "subtle". Besides, expensive caps will by no means guarantee a better sound.

19. Tele-writer

Tele-writer Tele-Meister

darnit, I really was hoping for an opportunity to garner a new flavor of NOS snake-oil.

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I always wanted a pony for Xmas.... sigh...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.