Smoothing a Sticky Neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SpringTank, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

That's my approach to gloss necks too, keep then clean and wax polish them, after polishing they are super slick feeling, more so than a satin neck.

Blue Bill likes this.
  2. lasrup

lasrup TDPRI Member

I used the grey scotchbrite
    I think that it is the finest grade.
    Then polished off with Dr Ducks Axe wax.

gregulator450 likes this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

tedro likes this.
  4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Green Scotchbrite are what I use. When I say easy I mean it. Just lightly back and forth a few times, and you want to lightly scratch the finish. Wipe it with a rag, to remove any finish dust, test it out see how it feels. A few more passes, test again... The keep the pad handy, and it may need a quick few passes again over a few days or a week until it sticks (har har).

5. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I have a parts guitar with a classic 50s lacquer neck. It was super sticky when i first got it. I left it out on a stand, with cloth covering the foam after it got melted into the finish. After playing it every day for several months it is no longer sticky and the area that was stained by the foam had wore off. My kitty also gnawed on the edge of the fretboard near the ninth fret. It will always remind me of his kitten time.

tedro likes this.
  6. telecastasaurus

telecastasaurus TDPRI Member

You might want to try bronze wool and see how that works, steel wool, like other ferrous products can leave black marks. Nubs commented on scotch brites, they do not discolor at all. I have used them with a dish washing sponge under the scotch brite pads and that will prevent any finger marks. Use long even strokes, the full length of the neck on each stroke if the neck and body are supported correctly. I use cotton bath towels under the body and headstock so that the full length of the neck is exposed for scuffing.

7. RPKennedy

RPKennedy NEW MEMBER!

My Santa Cruz acoustic was getting sticky on the back of the neck, especially in the hot, humid summertime. It's a lacquer finish.
    I called Santa Cruz directly for advice, and the owner Richard Hoover himself picked up the phone. Impressive, in and of itself.
    His recommendation was a little rubbing with naphtha, followed by just a few strokes of gentle sanding (in the lengthwise direction only) with 600 grit.
    It worked wonders in my case, and has lasted a very long time.

And I found this article helpful as well:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24083-guitar-shop---curing-sticky-neck-syndrome

8. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Hi there, I am going to expand on Dunedin2019...

First of all, all of my guitars have nitro finishes and I’ve never had the sticky issue. I think some people have more acidity in their bodies and that may translate to the sticky issue.

That said, similar to Dunedin2019, I used a Birchwood Casey product on the neck of a Tele I put together, but I used the TruOil on mine. This is definitely the quickest neck of all my guitars.

If anyone is willing to sand or steel wool their neck, then applying a few light coats of TruOil can make quite a difference. And it can end with a gloss or matte finish depending on how you treat the last coat.

Good luck.

Brocephus likes this.
  9. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I have a 79 ish gibson flying V that is sticky gummy. Not like any other gibson I've played and not like the sticktion you get from poly like on a fender. This is more gummy. And its fine when I leave it alone for a few months but in a few days of playing the neck finish softens. I'm typically non corrosive in my sweat and strings typically last me a long time so I dont think its my chemistry. I dont recall but I suspect I did something to this guitar 35+ years ago back before I could check on the internet and this was just a $350 guitar. Is there any guess what was out there back then and any product that may just help to reharden the original finish. I'm pretty sure if I were to try any kind of sanding I would end up with a globby gummy mess. Maybe if someone can mention a product that causes this I might recognize having it around. Does pledge do this or silicone auto polish or?

10. Brocephus

Brocephus TDPRI Member

Ditto. I'm a huge fan of Tru-Oil, my brother and I have used it on numerous All-Parts homebuilt parts-casters.....and more AK47 stocks than I can recall ! :D

DHart likes this.
  11. Fishin Musician

Fishin Musician TDPRI Member

I like to sand until the clear coat is gone, then finish off with very fine wet/dry sandpaper (1000 or finer), wetting it with Danish oil.

12. Fishin Musician

Fishin Musician TDPRI Member

My 79 Les Paul Custom was like that, too. Never did find a solution, just wiped the neck constantly until I sold it & let it be someones else's problem

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.