SMITHEREENS "Lost album" to be released late Sept!!

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Always thought they had a great sound. Don't care if they were "derivative," etc.
Yeah , Smithereens are the reason I have a Rickenfacker
1661525047050.png

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
Two other tracks are already available on Tidal and probably elsewhere.

Don't Look Down sounds like a Smithereens tune:

A World Apart sounds like a cassette demo of the song on God Save the Smithereens.

Full track list: Out of This World, Dear Abby, Don't Look Down, A World Apart, Stop Bringing Me Down, Pretty Little Lies, Monkey Man, Everyday World, Face the World With Pride, Love Runs Wild, I'm Sexy, All Through the Night

BlueTele

Tele-Meister
Saw them "live" at the Hollywood Palladium back in 1988, supporting the release of their "Green Thoughts" album. GREAT show! I had not seen them before or since, and found it fun and cool that they started playing each others instruments toward the end of the show: Drummer started playing guitar; guitar player started playing drums, etc. They were all good on the other instruments! I always thought his voice and Elvis Costello's voice in his early days were of the same vein ("Radio, Radio", "What's so Funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding", etc.).

A totally Beatles-influenced band like The Knack, but much more rocking' and in your face aggressive from the very first song:"Drown in my own Tears" at their 1988 concert. They even did a Beatles tribute album "Meet the Smithereens" covering all of the songs on Meet The Beatles." I was sad to hear that Pat DiNizio had passed away in December 2017. Yet another great band from New Jersey! And talk about a life story: he was a garbage/trash guy (like his father), before he made it big. Who says dreams don't come true in America? From trash collector to rock star...doesn't get better than that. He even ran for a Senate seat in the year 2000 (but lost). A great guy who hosted Memorial Day picnics in his own backyard for his fans whom he loved.

Last edited:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I know nothing about this band. But I think I might need to explore a bit. They appear to have all the tracks up on their YouTube channel. Some of the songs seem quite good, so far.

Thanks.

Pax/
Dean

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Looks like it's legit- a bunch of prev unreleased (supposedly because they were lost!) tracks with DiNizio- super pumped!

Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I was introduced to Smithereens on an MTV show called Live at the Ritz. Thirty minute live concerts with NO commercial interruptions. I was floored by this "rag-tagged-looking" band.......Live at the Ritz was also my intro to The Call, another great band that lost their "main man", but that's a different thread.
Looking forward to anything brought to light re: Smithereens.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
She had hair like Jeannie Shrimpton back in 1965
She had legs that never ended
I was halfway paralyzed
She was tall and cool and pretty and she dressed as black as coal
If she asked me to I'd murder, I would gladly lose my soul

I LOVED this song. These lyrics just hooked me.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

How did they lose an album?

From what I read yesterday, which I already have half forgotten and may have less than accurate, it was during a period of label transition, so went unreleased. But, almost all the songs appeared as solo releases by one of them over a period of time. Or, so like that…

Pax/
Dean

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
My little group always opened with 'Behind the Wall of Sleep' and did 'Blood and Roses' later. I still play them both today. They had a great ear for tone and Pat was a great songwriter.

In 2021 I bought my friends son, who was into old music and collecting vinyl, their "Covers" Red Vinyl LP, which I got off the site, and the “Especially For You” Rooftop 1986 Poster.

smithereens covers.JPG

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
WOW. I had the pleasure of seeing 'em play live a bunch. One show was the entire album 11, in order. It was fantastic. Got to meet 'em and they were ordinary guys who happened to make fantastic music together.

Like @blowtorch, they and Tom Petty are the reason why I'm the happy owner of this beast.

Ric-660.jpg

Rest in peace, Pat.