SMASHING PUMPKINS - Cherub Rock

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire

1670448602658.png

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I play nothing like this ( style of music, or guitar tone), but I just love this song!

Funny how intense the guitars already are, during initial verses and Chorus, and THEN things get kicked up another notch ( more distortion and Octavio or similar) during solo break. Pretty creative and powerful
I remember Billy Corgan ( maybe GP Magazine article?) saying how frustrated he was that he couldn't find anything ( gear/process) that produced enough distortion that he had in his mind.... wow!!

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I play nothing like this ( style of music, or guitar tone), but I just love this song!

Funny how intense the guitars already are, during initial verses and Chorus, and THEN things get kicked up another notch ( more distortion and Octavio or similar) during solo break. Pretty creative and powerful
I remember Billy Corgan ( maybe GP Magazine article?) saying how frustrated he was that he couldn't find anything ( gear/process) that produced enough distortion that he had in his mind.... wow!!
Ha! I read that same article! Yep, it was GP. And the comment Corgsn made had some F-bombs in it, as I remember, which was more surprising to see in print back then.

I Never got fully on board the SP train, but Cherub Rock did indeed have some killer distorted tones in it, and a memorable riff that was deceptively tricky to get the feel of just right.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
Amazing record. It was the one that got me interested in the guitar. I'm a fan. I've never been a huge fan of Corgan's persona but I love those first three records, especially SD and the double album.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Ha! I read that same article! Yep, it was GP. And the comment Corgsn made had some F-bombs in it, as I remember, which was more surprising to see in print back then.

I Never got fully on board the SP train, but Cherub Rock did indeed have some killer distorted tones in it, and a memorable riff that was deceptively tricky to get the feel of just right.
I know I would
( sometimes) read GP magazine articles about guitar players I had heard of, but knew nothing about their music. Maybe just to read about what guitars and gear they were using...

Billy Corgan was definitely one of those, but I would catch up soon after, listening to the 'alternative Rock' station, playing '90's music.
I would end up really liking most Grunge stuff a lot ( even though I don't play it- old fart...)

SnidelyWhiplash

Poster Extraordinaire

I remember that BC stated that he had to turn his equipment up almost to
self destruction to achieve what he wanted. ;)

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Afflicted
The Smashing Pumpkins had a lot of really awesome pedals in their setup. I do think songs like Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Cherub Rock and The End Is The Beginning Is The End are good examples of a Strat through a lot of fuzz pedals.

Corgan will probably be blacklisted for playing a CBS Strat, but he got a good tone out of it. I believe most of his setup was a Marshall stack with some Fender tube amps.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
The Smashing Pumpkins had a lot of really awesome pedals in their setup. I do think songs like Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Cherub Rock and The End Is The Beginning Is The End are good examples of a Strat through a lot of fuzz pedals.

Corgan will probably be blacklisted for playing a CBS Strat, but he got a good tone out of it. I believe most of his setup was a Marshall stack with some Fender tube amps.
In the early days it was a JCM800 with different tube preamps (Mesa/Boogie, Tri-Axis, Marshall JMP-1), and he hated all of them because they did not provide enough overdrive. I remember reading this in an old Guitar World magazine. That strat was stolen after a very early show, and was recently returned to Corgan, like in the past couple of years. There's a YouTube video about it.