Smallish amp for jazz organ trio?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by nosuch, Jun 8, 2019.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I am thinking about getting another amp for small gigs – right now I use a blues jr. for that but the last time we played with the trio I used maybe half of the capability in terms of volume. I took it with me in the subway on a foldable cart – which is a bit of a hassle and annoying for other passengers.
    So I'm thinking of getting an even smaller amp for these kind of gigs, something I can carry in a bag so it won't disturb other passengers.

I was thinking about either a fender pro junior or a DV Mark little jazz (both are readily available here in Germany) or the ZT lunchbox (though nobody seems to sell these anymore around here ...) or a 5E3 built locally (a bit bigger but still light enough to carry a couple hundred meters). Henriksen amps are also available – the bud or blue would be options, right?
    I like a clean tone with some warmth but also bright (basically the guitars tone, only louder) – think Kenny Burrell or Grant Green. My guitar is a Gibson ES 330 with the great P90. I also play teles in my other band. I have loud and big covered with my vibrolux btw. ;-)

Maybe you have other suggestions or can tell your experiences. Thanks.

2. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

From what I know (which ain't much), I'd try the DV Mark Little Jazz. I used a Pro jr (miked) on stage, and was really boxy and...missing something.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I have a Hendrickson. It’s a great amp with powerful eq controls and a thick sound. I have an older one head and cab style. He only offers combos now

4. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I get great jazz tones from my Orange Crush 35 RT clean channel. Think George Benson, but Kenny Burrell or Grant Green shouldn't be out of the range. Guitars: MIJ Tele Custom, Washburn J6 archtop, Gibson Les Paul studio, Tokai ALS 55, G&L Tribute S500, they all sound great with that amp. Size is about the same as the Blues Jr, but it's lighter.

asnarski likes this.
  5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Tube vs. SS ... But I think the DV is a safe bet .. and very light too. They seem to like it at jazzguitar.be

Haven't tried it myself tho .. but I have a Frank Gambale DV (bigger amp that is now out of production) that I really like.

6. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

The ZT Lunchbox is perfect for that.

It can get tricky with hum buckers but it sounds like you are not using them.

IMO the Lunchbox JR is garbage. Unless you are after tinny, fizzy, farty kazoo sounds. It is perfect for that.

But the regular Lunchbox is great.

7. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

Why not a tweed champ, like Julian Lage? Great tone, and weighs almost nothing.

nosuch likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The Princeton Reverb is great for that sound. Sweet and warm if set right. Not sure if the 10" version is still too big for you or not.

9. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I love Julian Lage but I sound nothing like him. And I think that 5-Watters wouldn't work for what we do. Though we play quiet I still need some punch, not that washed out, fizzy bass notes he gets with the champ.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I just wish I had a jazz organ :confused:

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

OOps, shoulda read the OP completely....

12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Fender champion 40 is so light to carry around, 8,5 kilos, very good clean, the dimensions are almost the same but it weights half the Blues Junior.
    Do you want also a smaller one ?

13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I have used a Champion 40 and a Little Jazz for various jazzy bar duties with a organ ,drums ,and electric double bass plus singer .I normally used Telecaster of Gibson Midtown .

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I've tried 3 different CHamp types is a Jazzy, bluesy duo. Just too fizzy and and middy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.