Smallest tube combo amp w/ spring reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ChemicalBlues, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Tele-Holic

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

If you wanted to tone down a Chihuahua use a Weber WO22772 on the low voltage taps. Use a 6V6. It's an SE 6L6 amp as-is.

I think the Allen PT is 310-0310 with enough current to power a pair of 6L6s. I just went through the "small amps with big iron think they're big amps" discussion. If you want to get it back into the '60s Champ / Vibro Champ zone that's how to do it. Otherwise it will absolutely kill a stock Champ. You'd think it was a Princeton or a tweed Deluxe.

There are reverb pans available that will fit anything. Some of them are tiny.

The main reason small tube amps don't have reverb is it effectively doubles up the parts count. If youre going with a tube circuit you need a driver circuit and a recovery circuit. It's like a Champ backwards. You need another power amp tube (due to the way Hammond designed their original reverbs) as a driver then another small signal tube for reverb recovery. That means a normal Champ power transformer for instance... which is perfectly adequate for a stock Champ... now has to supply twice as much power. Then there's the issue of chassis space. Small amps have a small chassis. You could of course go solid state. Then you get into hybrid hassles where you need high voltage for the tubes and much lower voltage for the silicon. It gets complicated. Complicated costs money. Believe me, it's hard enough to make a buck on small amps without tryin' to pack twice as much stuff in there. :rolleyes:

3. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

I agree. There is a reason Leo designed reverb for the Bigger amps and left the small ones bare. Get a hardwire RV-7 and any of the small all tube offerings out there. Fuchs and kendrick make Killer 5 watt combo's.

4. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

New to the Swart line up is the Swart Atom which is the size of the legendary Swart Space Tone 6V6se and smaller than the Swart STR....
    There is a new range of and a third generation for the Matmp Minimat that includes a Miniverb which is the reverb model that can also be used as a stand alone reverb unit.
    The Goodsell Super 17 from the Hammond Guy is an oustanding amp with reverb and
    tremelo that can switch from 17 to 5 watts.
    The Cornell Romany is 10 watt but can switch down to something like 2 and 0.5 watt and the Plus version has reverb and then there is the Laney Lionheart 5 watt which has
    the lot and while PCB has gold traces.....
    The best value deal is perhaps the Valvetrain Lexington Reverb which has got to be difficult to beat for a handwired made in the USA small combo.

5. Raviolio

Raviolio TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

6. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Excellent Option!

Too bad Fender never made this one.

7. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

:eek:

AWESOME!!!

What's the scoop with this?

8. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

PRs use bias modulation on the output tubes for tremolo, right? I'd guess having only half of the output tubes in might make that a problem area, huh? FWIW, as much as I love Princetons, the trem in a good Vibro-Champ....daaaaaang. IIRC, the VC uses some kinda scheme that modulates the preamp for trem...but I'm no expert, just a nerd...

9. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Indeed..this is a real sleeper, easly the Fender equivelent of the Pathfinder but it has no where near the street cred..perhaps it is TOO cheap lol

I agree the OD leaves something to be desired (but so did the OD of the original SuperChamp IMHO)

I actualy like this better than any SF Champ I have played, it has tighter bass, & the 'verb ads a nice depth, It also sounds as good clean as the SCXD..if you have no need for the effects this is the way to go. It would be intersting for Fender to take out the FM25's OD and use the two knobs (gain/vol) & footswitch contact to control a basic ss trem circuit.
    The Vibro 25 !
    Offer it in some retro colors (Brown face, silver face w/blue weave grille cloth) I bet they could sell a couple of containers full. Alas probably wont happen as it would cut in to SC & Princeton sales..

10. rusticoaf

rusticoaf Tele-Meister

I used a Rivera era Super Champ as my first amp and it was killer, the reverb was quite good although not as lush as i was normally used to. (comparing it to my dad's silverface twin) 18w and freaking loud.

i may just have to swing by and grab that amp sometime, i sure do miss using it.

edit: holy moley! just checked ebay and these things are going for some coin... yeef!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fen...745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a13f4ccc9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Fender-...320?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a6734cf28

11. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

lol yep...I got a sightly rough one for $500 a few years back and felt I had done well, clean one with the FS can go for 900+, hand book?..even more, box= name your price.

I really do think the Frontman 25 is 80% of the amp for 1/10 of the price (used ones are easy to find for $50 or so) does basicaly the same thing and close enough in sound that the average player would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test.

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Laney L5T-112? - got one.
    Excellent parlour amp. Mousefart or can get loud.. 2-channel switching with a full set of knobs. Full size combo with full size Accutronics (now Belton sp?) spring. Celestion Heritage G12H-30 speaker. Does everything, sounds - Fender through Vox to Marshall. Made in UK

Do note this is a "British" reverb set up, they're traditionally not as wet and lush as a Fender, but you can turn the reverb knob past 5 and still be usable, all the way to 10.

In comparison the Laney LC-series are a bit kiddies bedroom blaster, their box is too small for a full spring tank. Mind you, the Fender BJ manages nicely with a half tank. The Laney Cub series sound quite good but I believe their reverb is solid state. The Laney VC-series start at 15W, same controls as the Lionheart. Btw avoid the 20W Lionheart apparently, they got that one wrong.

13. Raviolio

Raviolio TDPRI Member

Sorry for the delayed response...

It's the love child of a Vibro Champ and Princeton Reverb.

I found a broken down old VC that had been modified beyond recognition and decided to bring it back to life, and add reverb to it in the process.

The front end is now essentially a PR circuit (full tube-driven reverb) with the original Vibro Champ power section. Rehoused in a new cab with an efficient 10" speaker. It's basically a mini-Princeton Reverb. Sounds glorious. I love it.

14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

The Swart is a thing of beauty, it really is -- played one for a couple of hours in Montreal the other year. Inspired a bad attack of gear lust.

Then I got home and plugged my trusty tele into my GA-5 with a Holy Grail in front of it and it wasn't as good -- but it was nearly as good, it really was. Lately it's the Boss FRV-1 into the little Gibson, even better. I still covet that little Swart. But I'm never going to buy one until I win the lottery. It's just too much money for too small an improvement in sound -- especially for an amp you can't gig with.

15. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Check out the Gries Seahorse

16. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

Allen stopped making the class act sometime ago but it has the best reverb I ever heard even compared to my bigger amps like my DR.

17. SkinnyAss

SkinnyAss TDPRI Member

Anybody else tried the Crate GX-15R? It has a distortion channel (like everybody else) and a nice-sounding spring reverb (much too rare). I do not know when they stopped making the GX-15R, but I could not find a new one. I bought mine for $35 at a garage sale. I cleaned & lubed the pots & switch with Deoxit®, cleaned & tightened the jacks and re-soldered a circuit board connection (the reverb pot). I now have the best amp I have ever owned. My 1982 ’52 Re-issue Tele, 2 Indy Squier Strats, and 60s Danelectro never sounded better. I evaluate amps with guitar tone controls full up (10) and all amp controls--except the gains--straight up, (5). The open-mikes in this little town tend to be run by Folkies. They usually do not like my classic rock, honky-tonk ****-kicking, zydeco and electric blues (although I see more and more of these “acoustic-only” purists plugging in their cutaway acoustic-electrics), so I mike my little amp through the PA and it sounds great! For gigs in larger venues without a PA to mike my little baby, I still use my ’84 Markley Spectra® 60T combo, but it sure is a ***** to drag around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.