Smaller router table for Bosch colt

sleazy pot pie

Tele-Afflicted
I have a foldable skil router table (ras900)and a 2hp skil router (1820 I think, it was my dads old one) that I am using primarily for pickguard.
The issue I am having with the Skil router is that it doesn’t always keep the bit height in place. It will drop down as I start the router. So not ideal or safe .

I haven’t gotten into cutting bodies.

I also have a Bosch colt trim router that is great. But the quick release from the router table doesn’t work on the colt.

any suggestions on a good table or a way to make a smaller table for the Bosch Colt to cut templates and pickguard?
I live in an apartment, so space is limited .

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
For years I had a Black & Decker bench top router table that was a great starter router table. If you google bench top router tables there’s a pretty large selection. You may have to re-drill the mounting holes to match the sub-base mounting holes on your Bosch router.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
How does your Colt adjust for depth of cut? Most of the trim routers I've seen just use the clamp around the motor. My little Ryobi router table (which I love, by the way) has a mechanism to turn the depth adjuster from a hole on the top - I believe one turn raises or lowers 1/8 of an inch.

If you don't need the adjuster you could make some sort of adaptor - I adapted a Ryobi laminate trimmer to fit the hole pattern on a StewMac binding routing rig - it was just a matter of drilling and counter sinking some new mounting screws.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would make your own table out of a piece of baltic birch plywood for the top. The rest was 2 x 4 holding it up. The fence was laminated plywood. It had two bolts and wing nuts that ran is a groove on each side.

If you ever think you will make a neck with a long truss rod slot, make the top 36" long or so.

All you need to do on the top is drill a hole for the bit. Drill 3 holes for the mount or whatev er the colt uses. The best table I had was one I made myself. I wish I still had it. Look for an old craftsman full size router from the 80's and 90s on craigslist or FB market place.

router.png

You can always scale it down for apartment living I guess.

This would be faster.

Veritas Table for Compact Routers - Lee Valley Tools

Bosch Benchtop Router Table RA1181 - - Amazon.com

Mini Router Table - YouTube

Last edited:

sleazy pot pie

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for the replies everyone.

That otter is perfect.

I sell cutting boards , so I can just make my own for a fraction of that cost.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would make your own table out of a piece of baltic birch plywood for the top. The rest was 2 x 4 holding it up. The fence was laminated plywood. It had two bolts and wing nuts that ran is a groove on each side.

If you ever think you will make a neck with a long truss rod slot, make the top 36" long or so.

All you need to do on the top is drill a hole for the bit. Drill 3 holes for the mount or whatev er the colt uses. The best table I had was one I made myself. I wish I still had it. Look for an old craftsman full size router from the 80's and 90s on craigslist or FB market place.

View attachment 933536

You can always scale it down for apartment living I guess.

This would be faster.

Veritas Table for Compact Routers - Lee Valley Tools

Bosch Benchtop Router Table RA1181 - - Amazon.com

Mini Router Table - YouTube

I made a router table on a construction site from scrap mahogany plywood and haven’t yet replaced it. Sits on sawhorses or an old Makita table saw base, gone through a few fences and since I use the common Porter Cable 1 3/4hp router I leave a base screwed to the table. Total cost was $0.00

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
My router table is a piece of 1/2" marine ply with a laminate trimmer permanently attached to it. It's basically a small panel with the router stuck on it. This drops in between the rails of my Dewalt table saw when I need to use the router table. All other times it hangs on the wall out of the way. It uses the saw's fence when I need that feature.

If you're currently making cutting boards, you can easily whip up your own version of that overpriced Otter thing sold by Stooge Mac. You probably already have the materials for it.

sleazy pot pie

Tele-Afflicted
I’m not making cutting boards, but I sell commercial restaurant equipment. The material that the otter is made of is the same as the cutting boards I sell. I have a 15x20x1” that will work great. I will never have to worry about it bowing.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m not making cutting boards, but I sell commercial restaurant equipment. The material that the otter is made of is the same as the cutting boards I sell. I have a 15x20x1” that will work great. I will never have to worry about it bowing.

I would assume that is UHMW and in my humble opinion that would make a great router table. I scored a bunch of UHMW from the fab shop I used to work at and make all kinds of jigs and cauls out of it - glue doesn't stick to it, it has low coefficient of friction, machines nicely.