1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Smaller Harley's

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Dec 25, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Ducati has sold as many of my model bike as Harleys entire lineup in the past five years.
    This is a v twin for a new millenia . 20181227_185456.jpg

John Backlund likes this.
  2. ebb soul

Ummm, no. No I wasn't.
    Pointing out a current situation is not advice.
    And a misspelled word is not as bad as lack of comprehention, Jefe'.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I love a movie with a happy ending:

[​IMG]

4. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Hey thanks anyway folks guess I didn't state the question very clearly.

5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Hmm, the Harley a motorcycle fitted with a volume control rather than a throttle :D

Sent from my SM-G900I using TDPRI forum mobile app

6. ebb soul

...well harley is trying to pick up new riders with the smaller 500-750.
    But overall what with indians new lineup and ducs meteoric sales I think their stocks will tank.
    Pretty much everyone that wanted a harley already bought one over the past 20yrs.
    The wildcard may be thier new electric bike.
    We'll see..

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

"Training Wheels" optional or included?

8. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I love it: Big wheels and leaf spring. Cool to the core.

ftbtx likes this.
  9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I can't tell if you're joking, or delusional. Ducati sold about 14,000 Scramblers in 2017. Harely sold about 240,000 bikes in 2017. On average, Harley sells about 5 times as many bikes per year as Ducati does.

Scramblers are great bikes, but come on...

kuvash likes this.
  10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I s'ure hope that Harley i's able to deliver a bike that excel's. If they were s'hort in the game, then they would s'uck. I'm s'ure I'm wrong.

11. ebb soul

Your numbers are as far off as the past five years. Why did you settle on just '17 sales?
    What freaking year do you even think this is?
    I said five years, numbnuts.
    Getting real tired you you peps and yer lack of comprehention.
    17!??

12. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I chose 2017 because the 2018 numbers aren't published yet. If you're so connected you already have the 2018 sales numbers for both companies, post them up and show everyone how far off my numbers are.

I chose one year because I didn't realize you were a lunatic who wouldn't see how ridiculous your claim is from considering even one year's worth of data. But since you are based in a fantasy world and I've got a lot of time on my hands and huge interest in Ducati, here are some numbers and sources.

Harley's 2017 Annual Report
    https://investor.harley-davidson.com/static-files/98813045-7888-4ad9-8574-8f13991acf26

Page 27

HD.png

242,788 bikes in 2017

Now let's look at Ducati's finanacial results. From their website

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/editorial/2017-financial-results

Ducati.png

Ducati delivered 55,871 bikes in 2017. From other sources, 14,000 of those were Scramblers. 55,871 is considered "growing sales" which means they were less in previous years.

Benefit of the doubt let's say they built 55,000 bikes each year for the past five years. That makes 275,000 bikes over the past five years. Total. Not just Scramblers. Total number of bikes.

Harley sold 242,000 bikes in 2017 alone. Ducati sold less than 275,000 over the past five years. Let's say half of those were Scramblers. We all know they weren't, but half makes the math easier. Tell ya what, we'll even round the 275k up to 280k just so it's easier to divide by 2 (that's what "half" means).

Harley sold 242k bikes in 2017. What is half of 280k? ("k" stands for 1000 BTW. And again, "half" means divide by 2).

Which is larger? 242 or 280/2? ("/2" means "divided by 2" or "one half"). So basically Harley sells more bikes in a year than the total number of Ducati Scramblers ever made, past and present versions combined.

Do the math, show me where there is any possible chance of your claims being remotely true.

Speaking of doing the math, the (reintroduced) Scrambler hit the market in 2015. It's now 2018. I know, math is hard, so let's walk through this. Ok, so if 2015 was your thumb, and 2016 was your index finger, and 2017 was your middle finger, 2018 would be your ring finger. That leaves your pinky unaccounted for. How many fingers do you have if we count your thumb as a finger? Now subtract 1 from that number to account for your pinky. But let's use five years of data anyway, because, well, I don't know, but really, why should that make any more sense than the rest of your incoherent ramblings?

Yeah, I know, you were only joking, talking out of your a$$. And hopefully drunk based on how assinine your claims are...

EDIT: Fun Fact. Harley has built roughly 1,239,826 motorcycles over the past five years. Ducati built their 1 millionth motorcycle in December of 2014. Add 2015 - 2018 builds to that (assuming 2018 numbers equal to 2017) and Ducati has built roughly 1,222,131 bikes total, in their entire history. Here comes that math again... Over the entire history of Ducati, Scramblers would have needed to make up over 100% of the mix to match the number of bikes Harley has built over the past five years. Yeah, sounds feasible.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Wallo Tweed and kuvash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.