1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Smaller Harley's

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Dec 25, 2018.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm not wild about the Harley Davidson Street series.

They were made in India, of all places, and they are too heavy for beginners to enjoy learning on. (In my opinion.)

I'm not against small motorcycles, mind you.
    My motorcycles, over the past few years, have been getting smaller and more nimble.

Keeps you out of trouble, or so I have come to believe.

:)

[​IMG]

Toto'sDad, LocoTex and kuvash like this.
  3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I had a red one of those.. love the sewing machine exhaust note they have

Nickadermis likes this.
  4. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

AFAIK, the Street models for the U.S. and Canadian markets are manufactured in Kansas City. Not sure whats going to happen after it closes.
    The ones made in India are for the Indian, and European Markets.

5. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

My one sons' first street bike was a CX-500. It wasn't much to look at, but it took some serious abuse for 2 years and never broke down.

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Ah, so.

I did some homework, and you are correct, good sir.

There was a junior salesman on the floor in our local HD shop last year who had said, "I think these are made in India," and I have been operating under that assumption ever since then.

Anyway, it's good to hear that Kansas City is producing them here.

:)

Toto'sDad and Wallo Tweed like this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

I am only 5'4" had my 2003 Dyna Low Rider since it came out the crate..white brothers lowing kit and low profile seat allows shorter ones to flat foot. Many a people got one like it after sitting on it cause the sporty's sit real high even tho they are smaller bike.

8. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I always wanted to love Harleys. Especially the old sportsters. One ride on a sportster back in the early 70s cured me of that. It wouldn't stop! Transferred my love of ancient, crude but effective technology to moto guzzi, where my affections remain.

richiek65 and Bassman8 like this.
  9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Millennial generation shows very little interest in motorcycle's in general. The baby boomers like me that drooled over bikes from full dress Harleys to road racing rice rockets, well we are drooling now and dreaming of the new generation of badass rides.
    Biker-Bar-Florida.jpg

10. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That may be because they are both designed with the 'standard motorcycle configuration' template, flat 'bench' dual seat, large-ish fuel tank with knee indents (though the Guzzi holds 5.5 gallons versus the CX's 4.5), neutral seating position, etc. Both have shaft final drive, and similar wheelbases.

The engines of both bikes are transverse V's, and both are pushrod types, and both produce similar hp numbers, if I remember correctly-50 for the CX500, 52 for the Guzzi 750.

The Honda, however, is liquid-cooled and spins up to 10,000 rpm, which was astronomical for a pushrod bike in the late 80's (and still is)

The Guzzi V7III's air-cooled V runs out of revs at a relatively basement level of only 6500 rpm.

I remember a lot of details about the CX500, I test rode one back in '78 when they first came out and liked them a lot, but I never bought one for one reason or another.

11. John Backlund

The 2004 XL1200R 'Roadster' that I owned about five years ago was a LOT different from those pre-rubber mount Sportsters before It, and was the first Sportster I ever rode that could be comfortably cruised down an interstate at 75 mph and not shake you to death. Dual disc front brakes that actually worked, mid-foot controls, and even a little suspension travel on the rear end. I wouldn't call it 'smooth', and it was still very 'Sportster-y' in character, which was a lot of it's appeal. And it was, IMO, probably the best-looking Sportster HD ever made. I really enjoyed that bike.
    IMG_20171205_002047.jpg

12. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

I never liked Sportsters.

Don't hit me, I'm crippled.

13. John Backlund

I always wanted to like them, but other than the one I owned, I really still don't, but now it's more for cosmetic reasons than mechanical ones. I would buy another 2004-2005 1200 Roadster, but nothing earlier or later than those two model years.

I'm REALLY picky in my old age.

14. John Backlund

Notice! It even has stock mufflers, talk about a rare Sportster, sheesh!!!

They were the only non-stock 'mods' made to this bike by the previous owner, and I had to go find a correct, stock set for it....which isn't all that difficult, considering damn near every Sportster ever sold had the stock cans ripped off it before the thing made it off the showroom floor. Found a pair in new condition for $100, including shipping from Texas.

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Is that you, Mr Knievel?

Danocoustic likes this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I had to sell mine after marrying an ER nurse, who was having no part of a two wheeled widow maker. I'd say it excelled at low noise, low vibration, and the weight, cg, and suspension made for less fatigue, bullet proof too. I could ride for hours without stopping. But, it was a bit lethargic and didn't get as good mileage compared to other offerings, I guess due to the shaft drive and water-cooled weight penalties.

John Backlund likes this.
  17. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

John: What always stuck with me about the Sportser was that lean, purposeful look. Never thought I'd find a ride that looked that cool, but it did happen. The Harley/Moto Guzzi connection runs deep somehow. My '84 Guzzi Le Mans III was the sharpest ride ever, and owed more than a little to the sportster heritage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    John Backlund likes this.
  18. John Backlund

I currently own a 2017 V7III Special, bought it new. It's my first Guzzi, and I love the thing. 9000 trouble-free miles so far. On average, I seldom keep a bike more than three years, but this one will probably stay around well past that mark. It compliments my Triumph Thruxton nicely.

IMG_20180827_133806124.jpg

mad dog likes this.
  19. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Harley already outsold itself. The success will now kill the brand.
    Look how cheap used ones are now, bad investment and with the steel imbargo..

20. luckett

luckett Banned

How to Succeed in Business
    Rule #1: Don't take business advice from someone that can't spell embargo.

Wallo Tweed and kuvash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.