small voxy amp with attenuator???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by kdale1, Jul 27, 2021.

1. kdale1

kdale1 TDPRI Member

I've been on the hunt for a small amp for a while. I tend to play suburban home volume levels around 80-90db either through my old Music Man (overkill at 65w) or Amplitube software with studio monitors; but I do play with a band lineup OCCASIONALLY. I do like Princetons (I found PRRI too spikey but a well worn '67 silverface so good), but am pretty sure I want something Voxy. I played a Tone King Gremlin last week which was great, and I liked the attenuator at -9db with knobs around 2:00. But is there anything with a british flavor and attenuator? Or other ideas about how to get in that territory without buying a separate attenuator? Morgan AC20 with power scaling or Dr Z with post phase master volume? I run edge of breakup and stack a fuzz face and/or Hudson Broadcast, ride the volume knob; sometimes in hard rock territory, sometimes warm gritty vintage (love recent Budos Band tones). thanks

2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Well you could get a Vox AC4...

Gunny, Leftyshep, stnmtthw and 3 others like this.
  3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

A number of Orange amps have the Headroom/Bedroom feature where you can attenuate. I have the Rocker 15 Terror and can run it at 15-7-1-0.5 watts.

41144, stepvan and kdale1 like this.
  4. kdale1

kdale1 TDPRI Member

Right, and haven't had a chance to play an AC4 yet. Wondering how the breakup and overall feel will be without attenuation -- I was very struck by how good the Gremlin's attenuator sounded at a medium setting (more than that was too much), and in Amplitube I like a virtual AC30 running pretty hot. I know it's a matter of trying some amps out

5. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

I’d buy an AC15 and an attenuator. More tubes and a more useful amp overall. The AC4 is big and low wattage.

If you want a volume control Vox sound, get a Vox MV-50 AC with a good speaker cab or a Vox MVX150C on the “crunch” channel.

kdale1 likes this.
  6. natec

natec Tele-Meister

You can run the AC4 TV at 4, 1, or 1/4 Watts. Essentially attenuating the volume.

https://voxamps.com/product/ac4tv/

Note* I don't expect you can get tone approaching an AC10 or 15. Whether it is 'voxy' enough for your uses is something only you can decide.

Nate

7. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

My Vox AC4 head is awesome. Needs a 12" speaker. 1/4 watt mode is perfect for practice.

I've played the AC4 combo and didn't like it.

kdale1 likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

OP — could you better define what you are looking for when you say “small”?

Are you looking for a particular speaker size? A certain weight threshold? Dimensions small than XxY?

This will help people better target a solution for you. Otherwise you may end up with suggestions that have nothing to do with what you are actually looking for.

Happy Enchilada and kdale1 like this.
  9. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

I like my AC4. It's simple and fun. But I had an AC10 on loan for a while and for most applications, thought it was better. For low volume, edge of breakup tones, I'd be thinking AC10. MV rather than attenuator, but worked well for me.

And considering the other amps mentioned by the OP, I wouldn't think the lower price of the AC4 would be decisive

kdale1 likes this.
  10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Er yes, that's kind of the point.

There's more than one AC4 model. The OP should try as many as he can.

kdale1 likes this.
  11. kdale1

kdale1 TDPRI Member

Yes and thanks for the replies. By small I mean a 12" or smaller combo or a head, and low wattage or effective attenuation of 30w or less. There is something appealing about a very small combo for convenience, but I do record often enough that it will likely live in my home studio. I'm also implying here that I'm surprised there isn't a vintage british voiced amp out there with built in attenuation since I'm so impressed buy the tone king amp.

12. kdale1

kdale1 TDPRI Member

(and wondering if I've missed something!)
    Interested to hear other thoughts on MV vs attenuation, but I have read some other threads on that.
    Cost wise, just looking to stay under 12-1500. Otherwise the Ox could be part of my solution.

13. kdale1

kdale1 TDPRI Member

just another note on size-- I've always preferred 12's but did really like the vintage jensen 10 in the princeton I played and the 2x10's in a 90s custom vibrolux. Champs sound too small and boxy for me.

14. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

You might look at the Vox "Mini-Beatle" head and cabinet. Even though it's technically SS (nu-tube technology) it sounds and plays much like its Vox tube brothers. If you run the head through a good 2x12, it can hang with a classic rock band pretty easily. While some folks think it is merely a "novelty", I have found it to actually be pretty practical.

kdale1 likes this.
  15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

I’m a big fan of the MV series by Vox. I’ve played the small MV50 micro heads and own an MVX150C. They are all hybrid amps that use nutubes. The MV50 AC is a simple, no frills head with a 2 band EQ, drive and volume that outputs up to 50 watts. Loud enough for a drummer with a good cabinet. The MVX is kind of like a Vox take on a Mesa Mark amp. It has two channels with separate voice/gain stage switches and EQs. The clean channel does a squeaky clean or a Vox chime clean.

I’d watch some videos to get an idea what these amps are capable of. I’d personally go the MV route instead of attenuation.

kdale1 likes this.
  16. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’ll just say the Morgan AC20 is one of my favorite amps. It goes perfectly with a Tele. Sounds great at any volume.

kaludjerko and kdale1 like this.
  17. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Dr. Z Z Wreck that Brad Paisley uses has an optional half power switch. Or you can always get an Air Break.

18. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The new Z Wreck Jr. has a master volume.

skay and kdale1 like this.
  19. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

As a Tone King owner, I understand what you’re saying. Mark Bartel did make a British-voiced Tone King amp called “The Royalist”. The Mk1 (18w) had an Ironman I attenuator built in while the Mk2 (45w) had an Ironman II attenuator built in.
    They are not small (over-sized 12” combo or head & 2x12 cab), not too easy to find and not cheap. But check out Reverb. You may find what you want there (I’m on the lookout for a Mk2 myself) ;)

kdale1 likes this.
  20. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Although not Vox-like have you looked at the Marshall dsl line? All have attenuators

northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.