Small "Vintage" Amp Builders?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Could you please suggest some small reputable hand wired old school real vintage style amp builders who create old school Fender style amps?

If you could differentiate between single bench builders who would take a year to deliver and those who may have one on the shelf for quick delivery that'd be great!

Trying to keep budget <$2000

I've found Allesandro and am impressed with what I've learned but no clue of lead time. Have yet to hear back.

Thanks,

TEX

PaceAmps likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Swart?

maggieo likes this.
  3. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

Allen, Vintage Sound, Gries, Lil Dawg off the top of my head....

Geo, Greggorios and Dukex like this.
  4. graybeard65

graybeard65 TDPRI Member

+1 for the Li'l Dawg - that's one that I've often regretted selling off - fantastic little amp!

mad dog and Dukex like this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

There are a number of guys on this forum who build amps as a hobby and do a great job of it. I even think some are out in the AZ direction. You might hit one of them up and see if they will sell you one of theirs.
    I have a '57 clone deluxe that I built using the original as a template. Size and such it is exactly the same, I however changed some of grounding schematics, used newer components and went with a different covering just so it did not look like a "tweed amp".

I played it side by side against the original '57 and was pleasantly surprised that it sounds the same to my ears, although the '57's pots are more scratchy :)
    So I know if I can duplicate it, someone on this forum can duplicate it for you.

6. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member

First off, there are a lot of differences across classic Fender amps. If you're looking for Tweed era tones, you can find a ton of options including Clark and Victoria and there are a couple of really good micorbuilders who post here too. (I have a 5E3 and Bandmaster clone that a friend built using Webber kits as the starting point.)

For the Brown era, Allen are probably the best known although Lil Dawg has a bunch of offerings as well with a tremendous amount of customization available from Jim. (if you don't need a perfect example, you can also find an original one in that price range)

Blackface and Silverface also present a lot of options. In fact, for under $2k you could have someone restore / upgrade an old silverface Fender like Rivera used to do. I had Tony at Desperadoville retrofit an old silverface bassman for me and it's built for life now.

You could even order one of these handwired BadCat Blackface amps brand new and know that it will be overbuilt and bullet proof.

https://badcatamps.com/bad-cat-custom-shop-amps/classic-deluxe

Also, Winfield Amps are amazing and a good deal too.

Good luck, you should have some wonderful options.

7. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here is a photo of my Clark Webster/Harvard..I love it, it's a great amp!!
    20190317_001902(2).jpg
    20181020_151957.jpg

http://www.clarkamplification.com/index.html

Michael was great to work with. Mine has an original Jensen P10Q that came out of a 1959 Bassman, complete with Bell cover....I also own a Swart AST that is my grab and go amp for gigging. Michael Swart is a great guy and Swart amps are wonderful!!

RJ

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    stevemc likes this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Have had or played Allen (fantastic old-school Fender with modern touches like a "raw" control), Swart (Fender camp but more its own thing, lovely amps), Lil Dawg (faithful tweed recreations, amazing build quality) and Winfield, who's in your neighborhood -- if you're in Tucson you can play through these amps at Rainbow and even buy one if you're so inclined. The Cyclone I played through was more of an AC15 style amp but it did cause amp lust and covetousness. The Elizabeth or the Dust Devil might work for you.

zatoichi and zook like this.
  9. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

While I wouldn’t call them recreations, Dr. Z makes great handwired amps that have Fender inspired sounds.

10. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I have a Lil Dawg 5e3 and a Vintage Sound Vintage 15. Both are top quality IMO.

Twelvefrets likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As the kids say today:

Seriously?

Too many to count.
    Under $2000 is no problem but you didn't say which amp.
    Victoria is in stock at many retailers and spares no expense.

I'm not sure small builder and has them on the shelf are compatible.

drf64 likes this.
  12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You, yourself, could be that small amp builder. Start with a Champ.

13. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

"Fender Style Amp."

Tweed, Brown, Black, Silver? 5, 15, 20, 40, 80 watts? 1x8, 1x10, 1x12, 2x10, 3x10, 4x10, 1x15? Trem? Reverb? Clean like a Twin Reverb? Dirty like a 5e3?

For what it's worth, I love my Carr Rambler and it is the best of all worlds for Fender Style amps. Blackface style preamp, Tweed Pro style power amp, mine's 1x12, but different speaker configs available. If you are patient, you may be able to find one under 2k.

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Spotted the thread, read it and was going to post pretty much what drf64 wrote.

Champs are easy to build and can sound fantastic. Once you get into the swing of a Champ, your playing will improve too and you'll find yourself making sounds like never before. There's nothing to muck about with. Plug in, switch on, make glorious noise.

Now you've got your eye in with a Champ build, and an awesome amp to boot, you'll want to build more. It's a very rewarding thing to do. Be warned though, the buggers seem to breed!

telemnemonics, drf64 and dunehunter like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love hobby builders, many are careful and get some online support, then sell pretty durn good amps cheap on the used market!

drf64 likes this.
  16. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

17. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

THANKS!

I have a question about one I'll start another thread about!

TEX

18. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

pm'd

19. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

20. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Gries! I bought my Gries 5 two years ago and I love it. Black face and tweedish and points in between. From the time I made my inquiry to Dave to the time I received my amp was about 6 or 7 weeks. Dave is easy to deal with and very responsive to emails. Not gonna lie: the price is easy on the wallet, to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.