1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small tube amps for home studio/DAW use

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digital Larry, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I could always do the Prince thing down at my local GC where I crank it up through the nicest guitar and amp on the floor, play Louie Louie for ten seconds, then throw the guitar over my head as I strut off defiantly. Yeah... that's the ticket... I'd at least have done it once.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  2. Digital Larry

I'm also checking out the H&K Tubemeister 18. Not as fancy schmancy (doesn't offer USB and re-amping) as the Laney, but is about half the price (used). H&K doesn't have reverb but I have a reverb pedal I could use.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I recently bought a Bugera power soak that has a line out. That's working quite well when paired with my Hotone Binary Cab. I'm usually using OwnHammer IR's. Right now the amp is a Monoprice 5w but I'm looking forward to getting my SF Princeton Reverb back from the shop.

Digital Larry likes this.
  4. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Inspiring me to try making a low voltage junkbox amplifier. Soldered up the sockets last night. TV levels, ran off a HP printer power supply and a 25L6 output tube.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  5. Digital Larry

Such a trip my mind has gone on since I started down this path! And to think I thought "nobody makes any..."

I talked to my old buddy who is a die hard vintage Fender guy. So yesterday I was checking out those Princeton Reverb reissues. And... those really do look and sound cool. I even checked out "what's the difference between a blackface and silverface" demo, think I figured that out.

Then I thought, let's look on Craiglist... guy selling a used "Blues Deluxe" right here in the neighborhood - but a 25 year old one for more than I can get a more recent used one through Guitar Center. Then I listened to some demos of the BD and read some threads about them... many people think the drive channel blows and there are many web pages and even a commercial kit for a mod to make it less sucky... ehhh... Tweed vs. tolex seems to command about $75 extra.

Then I saw a Deluxe Reverb II (Paul Rivera design) at the Santa Cruz Starving Musician... listened to a demo of that, but not sure I am really tilting towards a channel switching amp given my previous thoughts.

This brought me around to looking at load boxes, IR thingies... Torpedo, Mesa Boogie. Two Notes makes a "Torpedo Reload" which has a DI but there's no concept of tracking your dry guitar signal and an amp signal at the same time, without running it through your DAW for that lovely "latency" we hear so much about... no thanks.

Today I am circling back to the Revv D20 which all of a sudden is 15% off at a number of places. That plus an external active DI box might just be the thing.

6. Digital Larry

I was JUST ABOUT to drop $800 on a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 used from Guitar Center when I thought I'd review Peavey Tube amps. Turns out there's a "Classic 20" Head with 2 channels, USB audio out, XLR with switchable cab sim, attenuated outputs at 5W and 1W, for $399 used AT the local GC, which I've basically never patronized except maybe once. If I don't like it, I get 45 days to bring it back AFAIK.

Considering that I was also going to drop $500 on a Captor-X attenuator/sim/DI thing to go with the Mesa, AND the whole point of me getting a CHOOB amp was just to check out "da feelz" and have a simpler alternative to my modeler, which is already pretty stonking, I think I did OK. We shall see!

I do have this Ampro movie projector 1x12 thing which most people think is pretty crappy, but I'm going to give it a try with its built in driver and maybe get a Celestion V30 or who knows what if it's too bright.

7. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Attenuate your regular amps when you have to tamp them down at home or on stage. Has worked great for me for years. I have three THD Hot Plates in the various wattages (2w, 4w & 8w) and other than the neon bulbs on all of them going out they're good as new.

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I've got the old school Lexicon Signature 284. Dual EL84's, stereo FX loop, XLR record outs with ground lifts and bright switches, Slave outs, and switchable 4/8 ohm stereo outs. Fun little amp.It's a 2U rack mount in a 3U cabinet with a Lexicon MPX550.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had that Peavey 20 head and liked it a lot. Real tube Peavey with all the modern conveniences on the back. Actually it just sold mine and I hope I don’t regret it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.