Small Tube Amp Suggestion

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Sep 4, 2018.

1. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Another vote for THR.

Sorry that you asked for tube and some of us are suggesting the THR10 series. Frankly - you don't want a tube amp in an airstream. I have a VOX AC4HW1 and it's fabulous, but I definitely annoy my neighbours with it when I'm getting the best out of the amp - and that's in a house in suburbia.

You can also use headphones with the THR10 and it sounds great. You can also use it with a cable as a phone/mp3 amplifier. Yes, it's more expensive than other amps, but I'm one of the many people who believe it's a lot better. Besides, if you're rocking an Airstream you shouldn't be worried about the cost of a THR10.

2. Rob L Evans

Rob L Evans TDPRI Member

VHT Super 6 would do the job nicely not expensive but it has some mojo single channel open ended hand wired ( in China ) but built very well 6 watt tube amp with boost loves pedals

TequilaCaster and powerwagonjohn like this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

¡Bueno!

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for slow response!

I'd like to keep the Princeton but was worried how it would handle the road. It would only save a few pounds and a couple square feet at most so size/weight not the issue I initially thought. it can ride in my Tacoma.

I guess plenty of tour musicians tour with tube amps but they may also have a box of replacement tubes and a tech or just know more than I about amps.

Perhaps wrapping in a heavy blanket or something may keep it safe enough.

All that said....since it does not have a bias adjustments should I buy a complete set of spare tubes in case of trouble? Any advice on a good set?

I'll be full timing lord knows where so getting spares not as easy as Amazon!

Texacaster

4. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

5. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I'm gonna talk up my Tech 21 Trademark 30. Organic, natural tube tone for days & versatile as all-hell. Small, lightweight, and has the Sans-amp out if you're going into a board. Also has a headphone jack & spring reverb.

Can't beat it.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  6. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Another recommendation for the VHT 'Special' 6.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

@stantheman has put it right. The Princeton is the one I'd keep , I have a 65 Blackface Re-Issue
    and the sound is great, as you would know.If it's a matter of room a Champ would be fine BUT it will break up earlier and you may regret selling /trading the Princeton.
    BTW welcome and good luck in your move.

maggieo likes this.
  8. LasVegasIRA

LasVegasIRA TDPRI Member

Can't speak highly enough about the California Set5 ($109 thru Amazon) or the Monoprice 611705 ($99 thru Monoprice dot com).

Both amps are tube and have similar features and tones to a Fencer Champ. And the Monoprice has a bias switch that lets you go from 5 watts to 1 watt for quieter playing.

9. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

I have the bigger brother of this hand-built 10-watt tube amp. Dimensions are 14.5" x 9.5" x 18" Weighs 11.5 lbs. Preamp: 1 x 12AX7, Inverter/Driver: 1 x 12AU7 & Power Stage: 2 x 6AQ5. Controls include a Fat/Clean Switch. MSRP $379.

I've been very happy the 14-watt amp offered in this combo series; it's my only guitar amp.

http://www.tubeampfactory.com/combos/taf-10x-8c/

10. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

You love your Princeton. BF/SF Champ for you. Nothing else will make you happier. I carry an analog delay pedal with mine because reverb pedals eat batteries. Not an issue if you don't mind a wall-wart. That said, Roland Micro Cube is pretty sweet for the size and money -- I also have an Airstream and even the Champ would take up a lot of space in there. The little cube is so small and light that you can easily store it away in a cabinet. It can get several different amp tones including a respectable blackface fender tone. And has built in effects. Even runs on batteries. That would be a perfect Airstream amp. But if you are committed to having a nice tube amp, find an old Champ.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  11. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

I've got the head and cab version. Great amp, but it ain't my Princeton.

12. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Keep the PRRI- you love it, it loves you, you can use it as an end table.

13. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

1. Find a way to keep the Princeton.
    2. The Allen LF is about as good a mini combo as you could find (12"x12"x 10").

14. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Re: VHT Special 6 ...

True that, as it is really more akin to a Champ, being single-ended as opposed to push-pull.

That said, add cheap reverb and tremelo pedals, and it is perfect IMO.

15. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

I have a 65PRRI and I also have some family background with Airstreams. Here's your solution. Get a Laney Cub 10, and buy the nicest blackface style 10" speaker you can find to swap into it. If you want to upgrade the V1 tube, go ahead; you will still probably be under $300.00 all in. You will be very pleased with the results.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'd say keep the PR since you seem to like it. Personally the PR is the smallest amp I've ever liked to play. Had a couple of Champs over the years and just don't care for them for some reason.
    Besides they're isn't much out there that's much physically smaller or lighter.
    Even though a PRRI isn't built like a blackface it's still better than most little amps these days by a long shot. It should handle the traveling fine.

17. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Makes no sense to me to sell your PR - You already own the perfect amp for jamming or gigging no matter where your trailer takes you. And its about as small as your going to get a good tube amp with a 10" speaker.

For noodling in or out front of your trailer, I would highly recommend a nice battery powered amp w/ some effects. Roland, Vox etc. I own multiple SF and BF Fender amps from Pros to Vibrolux Reverbs to Deluxes, Princetons and a Champ not mention a 5E3 clone. But when I just want to have a little me time on my deck, or even jam along with a guy on an acoustic by the pit fire, I grab my tiny little trusty Vox DA5 and have a blast with it, no outlet needed! Think I got it for $60 or $80 years ago and love the little bugger. I literally use it on it's .5W setting most of the time.

Good luck!

18. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Keep the Princeton!

Add the monoprice 5 watt

Attached Files:

TequilaCaster likes this.
  19. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

$89 on sale monoprice 5 watt

Attached Files:

TequilaCaster likes this.
  20. LasVegasIRA

LasVegasIRA TDPRI Member

Here's a video I made that shows how to mod the Monoprice to make it sound more Champ (or Princeton) like:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.