1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small Router Table

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by natec, Nov 24, 2020.

1. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I recently acquired a Bosch GKF125CEPK 1.25 HP and have used it to get further along with my parts caster builds (rounding over bodies, cutting pickup cavities, etc.).

I'd like to take advantage of a slightly more stable platform, perhaps to practice routing dovetail joints for a small amp cab project.

I was looking for a small router table or plans for a small table and ran across this:

https://www.rockler.com/trim-router-table

Does anyone have any experience, or comments on this setup?

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I noticed that in a Rockler catalog. Let me start by saying I have a bench top table router that I use a lot. I take it outside and put it on a low table - that makes clean up a lot easier than using it in the shop. One thing I really like about mine is that it has a height adjustment that uses a long socket wrench thru a hole in the top (the special wrench comes with the table). Most laminate trimmers don't have this kind of depth adjustment - you usually release a clamp around the body and move it relative to the base which would be a big hassle with a table.

If all I did with mine was route truss rod channels it would have paid for itself long ago. You want a good fence for this.

If I was going to do something like the rockler table I would put good short legs on it with brackets that I could clamp it down to a work bench or table. I would want a power switch conveniently located (not the one on the router). I would want the depth adjustment and I would want a split fence.

The hole with the little lines is the adjustment. One turn is 1/8 of an inch (but I always measure)

IMG_5905.JPG IMG_5918.JPG IMG_6006.JPG

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Just anchor it to something heavy, the biggest problem is the table moving or shaking while you try to move the wood!

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Make your own router table. The small ones are not long enough to do many luthiery router operations. I have a Benchdog one in mothballs. You won't use havlf the stuff that these router tables come with. What you want are a flat surface and a fence.

DIY Router Table : 6 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

Back in the 1980's I built one from home center materials from plans in a magazine. I wish I didn't leave it at school for the next teacher as it was better than what I bought recently.

The hardware was a pair of 1/4-20 bolts and wing nuts that ran in the slot that you can't really see that well.

router.png

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.