Small room sound quality.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by rolloman, Sep 2, 2018.

1. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Is there one flooring treatment of carpeting, or vinyl hardwood looking flooring that is best for recording vs just playing an electric guitar in a small 10 x 10 bedroom? Having house built and need to decide on one over the other in the next week or so. Thanks so much.

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Square rooms are generally bad if you have any options there.

I'd put in something durable like the Pergo or similar, honestly, and use area rugs. Other treatment, like bass traps in the corners, etc. is going to be more helpful than anything you put on the floor.

If you want to be nice to the others in the house, I'd get some Roxul Safe'n'Sound to put in all the walls and a solid door with a sweep and weather strip so it's tight. Then you'll be able to crank it up a bit more. Ask them to leave you a bundle of the stuff so you can make more acoustic panels for the room.

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

One of our members made and posted this video 8 July 2016

4. still_fiddlin

Good video on how to build a soundproofed room (but it's not a shining example of room treatment, which he does correctly clarify is different from isolation).

I was assuming the OP is not going to go full-out soundproofing, especially starting with that small of a space, so just suggested damping as much as possible, then treatment, which is more important for recording.

Edit: P.S. The double layer of drywall is a good idea, too, because mass is what stops the LF from traveling. (Unfortunately, a lot's going to go through the floor unless you build a suspended floor.)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    tery likes this.
  5. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Carpet won't do much. Angles and Roxul work.
    We record in a 300 square foot room. It's not treated in any way. Everything is close mic'd so the room doesn't have much effect.

6. still_fiddlin

That's probably Ok for a guitar amp, but not much else, and sounds like that's what the OP wants.

If you're going to mix in that room, which is what a lot of us end up doing, IMO you'll have to have some treatment in there.

7. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Yeah, 99% of the time just playing in there. Not too worried about recording or soundproofing. Would prefer the vinyl hardwood stuff more so than carpet.

8. still_fiddlin

I'm confused why you were asking about flooring, if it's not recording or noise, TBH. If it's durability, well, I'd want something a mite bit harder than vinyl if you're dragging/sliding amps around on it. Maybe wood-look porcelain tile or garage tile?

Just my $.02, this is the only chance you'll be able to really do anything that might address the sound issues, so I'd take it, even if you're "not too worried about recording or soundproofing." 10'x10' is going to be damn loud inside (sound treatment) and out (sound proofing) if you don't do anything.

9. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Reflective flooring is actually pretty good for acoustic instruments, but reflective walls maybe not so good, especially for electric. Corners are your enemy. But it seems like sound conditioning and isolation don't matter much in your case, you're just looking at a place to wail. Cranking amps in a 10x10, well, most of the room-treatment rules go out the window. Turn the amps toward the wall and point them at a couch cushion is about the best I got. :rolleyes:

10. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

I never heard of this flooring until recently. It is supposed to be very durable though. I've heard it is starting to take over a lot of the real hardwood and composite wood sales. Here's what it is. I've been looking at samples and it is hard as nails.
    https://www.flooringamerica.com/blog/luxury-vinyl-tile-pros-cons

11. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree with you on mixing but we've had a lot of success close mic'ing damn near everything.
    Everything on this cut, (vocal, guitars, upright bass, and drums), was close mic'd except the pedal steel. It went direct.

12. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Adding sound treatment to my home studio made a HUGE difference. Built the panels myself for about $300 and has been worth every penny. Also invested in some Isolation towers for my monitors and put me right in the center of the mix. It's not sexy or fun but is a must if you are going to be doing any serious mixing, IMO.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

40953819_666008437111817_4812900825313574912_n.png

RodeoTex and Zeonoid like this.
  14. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

All true, but the OP has said he's not particularly interested in recording.

rolloman likes this.
  15. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

That's right 99% just playing and goal to get the best sound out of my amp in the bedroom. I did enjoy the video very much and it will come in handy I am sure in the future. I forgot to mention that the drywall was already up in the room when we bought the house during the construction of it.

16. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

The room I'm using started with wood floors and sheet rock. It was actually a nice echo and IMO sounded good with acoustic but when playing electric, my ears couldn't take all the bouncing off the walls. Once I got a large area rug down and the panels up, my tone tightened up and my ears were less fatigued. It also highlighted how untrained my ear was to room acoustics. Now, I can hear stuff that I never heard before in recordings and I'm very critical of bad acoustics, anymore... Building the panels was actually fun for me since I'm not exactly handy. Have fun with it all!

17. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

This would have been in helpful in my last marriage....

rolloman likes this.
  18. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

I will definitely have fun. I pretty handy so will keep the idea of building some panels in the back of my mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.