1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small practice amp build: Champ/Deluxe

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bdgregory, Sep 12, 2010.

  1. bdgregory

    bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,225
    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    Location:
    Virginia
    I posted a couple of threads while building this amp and thought I would post-script them by showing the final result. I'm thrilled with it to say the least.

    I had started with a cabinet I bought from a guy on Craig's list. It's a small cab, and accommodates an 8" speaker only. It's 1" wider and 1" deeper (same height) than a Fender Champ 600. It was harder than I expected to find an amp chassis to fit it. I purchased the amp off ebay. It was out of an organ and had (1) 12AU7 that provided one stage of gain, and phase inverter. It uses a 6X4 rectifier, and (2) 6W6 tubes (p-p) for power. I added another 12AX7 tube socket and rebuilt the preamp and tone stack based on a Fender Deluxe schematic. I'm using the power amp as is and the existing transformers. Because the chassis was so small and left no space, I built an outboard control panel and installed the tone stack on it. I've run the amp with 6V6's and the original 6W6's - sounds great with both. Not too loud, but plenty loud for practicing in the house. It's got just a little bit of overdrive - just right for what I was after. I set it up so I could plug it into an external cabinet and drive a larger speaker. It sounds really nice driving a 1x12 cab.

    This amp was done on the cheap - the cabinet cost me $25 for 2 of them off CL, and I sold one on eBay for $30. The amp including tubes was $16 (plus$12 shipping). Add another ~$15-20 for switches, pots, resistors, and caps. So the total was ~$60.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. falconer

    falconer Tele-Holic

    Posts:
    800
    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Location:
    Oceanside
    You should be. Some gut shots would be nice, as well as some clips.

    Great job.
     
  3. bdgregory

    bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,225
    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    Location:
    Virginia
    thanks! I neglected to take gut shots when I had it on the bench but will be opening it up again shortly and will post some updates. It's not at all pretty though (actually it's pretty ugly). It's all straight point to point, and the guy who last worked on it used some pretty funky power resistors (ie large) in the PS section which I chose to leave alone as it was working fine. I compounded the fracture by cramming the second preamp tube in it. I may eventually clean this all up a bit.

    As for clips, I don't have recording hardware at this point but am in the midst of buying it, so eventually will try to post some.

    thanks again . . .
     
  4. Stubarber

    Stubarber Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    122
    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2010
    Location:
    Houston area
    Sweet.
    Looks rugged, too.
     
  5. Platefire

    Platefire Friend of Leo's

    Age:
    73
    Posts:
    3,601
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2003
    Location:
    North Louisiana around Many
    Good work! The chassis in the bottom sure give is a 40's and 50's look. Platefire
     
  6. cousinpaul

    cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

    Posts:
    3,494
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location:
    Nashville TN
    Inventive use of space! Got a picture of the outboard control panel?
     
  7. bdgregory

    bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,225
    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    Location:
    Virginia
    here's some more shots of the inside. The inside of the amp betrays its origin - I left much of it alone except for what I had to - the guy I bought it from had 250V filter caps in it which blew on me before I even finished the preliminary test - so I replaced them with those little 33Uf/550V caps and moved the power resistor and power cord around to make room. I pulled the input jack and volume pot out to make room for the 12AX7 pre stage.

    In my haste to get this thing done I preserved the rat's nest point to point connections.

    The control panel is mounted to a 3/16" Plexiglas panel, and all of the electrical parts are connected to a length of 14g copper wire pulled out of romex.

    I haven't labeled the knobs yet and may not - they are bass, treble, and volume. The knobs were salvaged from an old oscilloscope. I'll probably get something else at some point.

    Thanks to all for the kind words! I'm still working on getting sound clips, but it's going to take time . . .
     

    Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.