Small pickguard?

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
Does anyone know where to get this kind of pickguard? This would work perfectly for my body, as it has a flame maple top that I want to show as much as possible. Just want to cover the neck pickup wiring cavity.

Found this image on the web...may be someone's here.
e3af4f20e2dff45a2b710bdc8256374b.jpg

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I made that pickguard by hand.

I'm not making any more of them, than I need for my own projects. Very labor intensive, soldering is about as much fun.

This is a 3 piece light ash body from the great Tommy Rosamond (Rosamond is making money, doing something else now). Heck, the neck is also from his crew, one of a batch of eight with the same fat specs.

This is a set of FCS No-Caster pickups, and the switching is 4 way to yield two positions that are RWRP quiet. The bridge is from an import company making Joe Barden bridges under license. These stock "Barden" saddles are borderline too heavily compensated - intonation would be easier with less slant than this.

I wondered what Desert Sand would look like, in a toner form. But the furniture nitro rattle cans I used to get this, are no longer available - this was like leftover material from before furniture manufacture went away in the USA. To the extent it is back, I think they've gone water borne.

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Custom one-off pickguards like that are a cinch to make if you have a scrollsaw.

Obviously if you're making more than one, a template and a router are the way to go.

And Peegoo did a custom pickguard for a Squier 51 and my recollection is........

His pickguard is the inspiration for the one you see above, plus others I did. I started thinking about how to make you own, when I saw his.

ftbtx

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I made that pickguard by hand.

I'm not making any more of them, than I need for my own projects. Very labor intensive, soldering is about as much fun.

This is a 3 piece light ash body from the great Tommy Rosamond (Rosamond is making money, doing something else now). Heck, the neck is also from his crew, one of a batch of eight with the same fat specs.

This is a set of FCS No-Caster pickups, and the switching is 4 way to yield two positions that are RWRP quiet. The bridge is from an import company making Joe Barden bridges under license. These stock "Barden" saddles are borderline too heavily compensated - intonation would be easier with less slant than this.

I wondered what Desert Sand would look like, in a toner form. But the furniture nitro rattle cans I used to get this, are no longer available - this was like leftover material from before furniture manufacture went away in the USA. To the extent it is back, I think they've gone water borne.

Is Tommy doing guitar related work or a whole new field?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I dont have a scroll saw so making my own would be rather difficult, but I may attempt with a dremel

Those are actually large curves, so getting to that shape would be a cinch with a belt sander.

The best place to start is with a pre-made Tele pickguard if you want to make it super easy to do. Lay painter's tape over the face, draw your two lines, rough-cut the large areas off, and then sand with the belt sander to final shape, like this (click on the pic to enlargenate it):

How-to-make-a-pickguard.jpg

NOTE! If the body has the angled rout between the two pickup recesses for the neck pickup's leads running to the control cavity, take that into account before you commit to the final shape. Make a paper pattern first and test fit it to be certain you're covering everything that needs covering--before you get out the chainsaw ;)

ejphotos

Tele-Holic
Those are actually large curves, so getting to that shape would be a cinch with a belt sander.

The best place to start is with a pre-made Tele pickguard if you want to make it super easy to do. Lay painter's tape over the face, draw your two lines, rough-cut the large areas off, and then sand with the belt sander to final shape, like this (click on the pic to enlargenate it):

How-to-make-a-pickguard.jpg

NOTE! If the body has the angled rout between the two pickup recesses for the neck pickup's leads running to the control cavity, take that into account before you commit to the final shape. Make a paper pattern first and test fit it to be certain you're covering everything that needs covering--before you get out the chainsaw ;)

Thanks! I dont have a beltsander either, lol.