Small pick users, convince me I didn't make a mistake

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by edvard, Jun 16, 2021.

1. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I'm with Wallo Tweed on the Clayton's, they are a hard pick that stays in your hand. A lot of hard picks are slippery for me, these stay put.

Now for size, the small ones just feel right. If I use a larger pick I find myself gripping up on it so they play like a small pic. I use them for acoustic as well as electric.

Most people who want to borrow a pick will balk at these, I like that.

And these used to come in a variety of thickness. I think 1.14 mm was what I first used. These 1.07 mm ones give an acoustic a piano like vibe, especially when brand new.

They come in standard size too. I ordered them by mistake but they are pretty good too, the point is very similar to me.

picks.jpg

edvard, Blackmore Fan and Wallo Tweed like this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

But every time you hold it between your teeth, you drool on the strings, then seconds later everybody gets sprayed.
    We need to wear hazmat suits... :lol:

3. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I use the teardrop Jazz picks, the red Jazz Is and Jazz IIs for acoustic and the black Max Grip Jazz IIIs for electric. I like to turn the pick and use the rough grip edge to play with, it adds a cool little growl to the tone. I've also acquired a bunch of different picks that are roughly the same size - Blue Chip, Wegan, Dunlop and just ordered a vintage red casein pick from Apollo picks. They're all small and they're all rigid and thick, that and the tone they produce is what I like about them. Every now and then I'll grab a regular pick and it feels huge and cumbersome to me.

edvard likes this.
  4. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Dunlop Ultex has a sharp version that might be a good size for you. Sort of in-between size (roughly a standard pick in a sharp). Cheap enough to try a few sizes. Stiffer than most picks for a given thickness.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/ultex-sharp-pick-90mm/

dlaroe and edvard like this.
  5. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

you'll need bigger picks or smaller hands, really only 2 choices...

edvard likes this.
  6. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

For years I used the round edge at the "top" of my Fender medium picks because the pointy tip slowed me down in a bad way. I don't choose my picks for tone, I choose them for feel. When I got my mandolin my guitar picks were way too big, so I tried the Jazz IIIs and loved them. Turn around to play guitar a few days later and I realized I had to switch to the smaller ones for everything. 1.14mm Jazz IIIs are my first choice and I do not play jazz, at all. The standard Fender size seems massive to me now, I use them only on my 12-string, again based on feel for that particular instrument.

If ya don't like them, ya don't like them, so what? :) Picks are cheap, and I lose them constantly. You are a pick re-sharpener, we live very different lives haha. The variety pack of Jazz IIIs is a good place to try the different materials and thicknesses before buying one type in bulk.

Frodebro and edvard like this.
  7. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I used Jazz IIIs for a while. They helped with playing single notes - the only gizmo I've ever used that actually helped me play better. Unfortunately they did not work well at all for strumming chords. I found myself struggling and dropping them constantly, so I switched back to regular sized picks.

edvard likes this.
  8. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Thank you for everyone's input. I'd like to respond to everyone individually, but it's late and I'll be busy at work the the next coupla days.

For those who said:
    "You'll get used to it" - Yeah, I kinda already have. I'll use a Flow just to force myself to use it, then pick up a regular pick and it's like picking with a pancake flipper for a couple of seconds.
    "Small picks are better for precision" - Yep, I feel like I'm picking with the tips rather than the meats of my thumb and forefinger. I kinda get it, but it still feels a little strange. String skipping seems a little easier, like the "just Got Paid" main riff I don't seem to muff as much.
    "Not so good for strumming" - I get that too. When I'm digging in for the Metal chug or hacking a fast & loose Punk Rock power chord progression, I get the distinct feeling that it's going to flick itself out of my grip and into the unknown. It hasn't yet, but it feels like it.
    "They're not just for Jazz" - No arguments there, but there's no denying that smaller picks do find a home with many Jazzmos in general, hence the name. I was just making the point that I'd never tried them BECAUSE of the unfortunate (if deserving) stereotype. The smallest pick I've ever used was a plastic bread clip in an emergency. Can't say I liked it, but it worked.
    "Picks are cheap" - Yes, they are, but while I'm not poor, I am not exactly flush either, and every 5 bucks needs to be accounted and budgeted for; I can't just go spending $3-$7 bucks on random bags of picks whenever the whim strikes. My wife is very supportive of my hobby that I try to keep as cheap as possible, but we still have to put things on 'The Budget' list before any coin gets spent on it, and if the gutters need replaced or we need an oil change, then that gets taken care of first, and that's how it should be. Though I must admit, you folks who pay more than a buck for a single pick mystify me utterly.

So far, I like them. I can't say I'm won over to the 'small picks are better' side quite yet, but I'm not as disappointed as I thought I might be, and fer Pete's sake, they aren't THAT much smaller... One thing I noticed right off is that with normal picks, I constantly re-adjust my grip as I play for different dynamics, and the regular size picks have just a little more surface to hold onto and therefore make on-the-fly manipulation easier. The one thing I like best about the Flow is the sharper point. I've found I don't have to dig in as much to bring out the tone, just flick the string with the point and "Ka-ching!!" there's my note ringing out like I just spent twice the energy slapping at it with a regular 351. I've just about sworn off the regular round-point picks, and re-sharpening worn picks is becoming a preference, not a necessity. I think next time I have a few bucks burning out my pocket and I don't have strings to buy, I'll try the TIIIs anyway, or maybe even the Jazz IIIXLs. Fun times ahead...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  9. wangdaning

wangdaning Tele-Meister

I never knew people put so much thought into picks. Now you are making me think I need to as well (puts down coin and looks for something plastic to use).

edvard likes this.
  10. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I've used Jazz III tortex 1.5mm for years now. I was using Tortex Sharps previously (which are 'standard' size), but as I hold the pick close to the tip, about half the pick was uselessly sticking out above my thumb.

Perhaps if I had larger fingers and thumb a bigger pick would be more use, but for me, as only about 2-3mm of the pick ever touches the string and I have no problem with gripping a jazz III, there doesn't seem to be any point in using a larger one.

11. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Before I took a 13 year break from playing I would just grab what pick I could find. When I started playing again I researched and thought that Jazz III would be the pick for me. I tried my best to like them. Now I use the regular yellow .73 Dunlop Tortex.

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Almost started a new thread, but will add here how 12ish years ago I started pushing myself to finger-pick (almost) everything… live.
    I keep a piece of Duct Tape loaded on the stand with picks for those “pick” moments.
    Fast-forward to now I am finding a bit of trouble transitioning back to the pick for my 60’s/70’s songs. A re-unlearning maybe?

edvard likes this.
  13. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I moved to the size of Jazz III XLs a few years ago. I've used them to the point where the "regular" sized picks feel large to me other than on acoustics.

edvard likes this.
  14. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

Jazz III cultist here. Once you get used to them, small picks are the best for every style, bluegrass to doom metal. They help you to improve your right hand technique and give more consistent, less sloppy pick attack.

edvard and Frodebro like this.
  15. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

Stick with what makes you want to play more. Your comfort is your zone. Your hands will decide. Not anyone else.

edvard likes this.
  16. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Best pick hands down is the D’Andrea ProPlec, it comes in all sizes, but the big boy with 3 sides is what I use now. I used Jazz picks and Petrucci picks for years, sometimes I go back to the smallest ProPlec.

They’re the best because they tame a little of the high end without being tortoise or something difficult.

edvard likes this.
  17. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Tele-Meister

I recently started to "roll my own." I like the size and shape of Jazz III picks, but like others have said, they're too stiff for strumming. So I took some regular picks I liked and trimmed them down to J3 shape. My favorite so far is a Fender medium celluloid 351.

edvard likes this.
  18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Side question...I have a hard attack...what pick would help soften the blow?

edvard likes this.
  19. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

I used to like the tiny picks but not anymore. They’re cool but they benefit from a lighter touch and are most suited to single note runs. I’m a bit heavy handed and gravitate towards larger and thicker picks. V-picks 2.75mm screamer triangle has really hit the spot for me.

edvard likes this.
  20. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

I use a Dunlop Tortex 1.5 mm flatpick and play off the side edge and not the Apex. Gives me a lot more control. I also use a dunlop plastic finger pick on the ring finger.

edvard likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.