Small pick users, convince me I didn't make a mistake

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by edvard, Jun 16, 2021.

1. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

OK, I bought a 12-pack of Tortex green (0.88mm) "Flow" picks because I wanted the sharper tip, and I couldn't find a discount on the TIII picks (I was trying to stay within a Father's Day gift budget) and some folks on the interwebs said they're really great because they were larger than the smaller-than-average Jazz III or Teardrops. When I got them, I was surprised to see they are smaller than I expected, though I must say they are pretty close to the size of worn picks I've re-sharpened. I thought I'd stick with them and see what happens, but if I can't justify or get used to them, I might just save my pennies and get a 12-pack of TIIIs down the line, but still...

So, small pick fans, what can you tell me about the benefits of smaller picks to help me convince myself that I don't need to trade up to TIIIs? I don't play Jazz (the intended audience of small picks, or so the interwebs tell me), I'm more partial to crunchy blues and high-gain rhythm, which is why I wanted the sharper tip. Are small picks more comfortable? More precise? Do they help bring out the magical tones? Or is it just personal preference and I'd probably be better off going with the size I'm used to?

String Tree, Billy3 and Wallo Tweed like this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I cut Tortex picks down to the size I like and feel comfortable with. It's personal preference, just like how you actually hold your pick.

edvard likes this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using Jazz IIs for years, the last couple of years it's been the John Petrucci ones. I like the sharp points because I don't dig in very hard at all, and I like that the smaller size doesn't extend into the first joint on my index finger (I prefer to have just the last few millimeters of the pick exposed). Standard picks with round tips just feel awkward and hard to control to me.

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

It’s definitely only that IMO, but who says you have to stick with what you’re used to? Give them a chance and see how it goes.

Flow picks are roughly the same size (and almost the same shape) as jazz III XL, so they’re definitely not tiny picks.
    A couple of months ago I quit using a pick like I’ve been doing for the last 30 years, and I’m now using a thumbpick + metal fingerpicks. It was really weird for the first month or so, but now I’m glad I did something new.

RomanS and edvard like this.
  5. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

None of it matters that much definitively.

Whatever you use you will get used to unless you convince yourself you won’t.

Any pick can play any style equally well.

6. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

I can get used to almost any picks within a day or two except the huge triangle shaped one.

7. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

Small picks aren't just for jazz guys, us in the metal community like them a lot as well. Easier to control for alternate picking, sweeping, chugging. I even prefer trem picking with smaller picks. Jazz III's were my first foray into the smaller pick world but I needed something a bit thicker. Been using Ernie Ball Prodigy 2.0MMs, specifically the mini shape exclusively for two and a half years now, can't see myself changing picks any time soon. They're too good.

Maguchi, Wallo Tweed and edvard like this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Those .88 tortex ‘flow’ picks hit the spot for me. Not too big, not too small.... just right.. gave me good control.

If they work, stick with them for a while. Like others, I can use any in a gig and sound like me.. I just dislike the really big ones.

edvard likes this.
  9. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I've used Jazz IIIs for years - didn't take too long to get used to, now a regular pick feels like I'm playing with a roof shingle.

You can always go back if you decide you don't like them, picks aren't really a big-budget item.

Maguchi, Frodebro, edvard and 2 others like this.
  10. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I'm certainly not a jazz guy, but I started using small picks years ago when I was trying to learn circular picking and never went back to large ones.

I use clayton 1.00 mm. They are kind of hard to find, so I usually order a bag of 100 every 5 years or so.

edvard and toomuchfun like this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

They look to be the same size as the 351s I use. I think I have some of the Tortex in my big box of picks...but, I always go back to the 351s (hence the big box of picks:oops:).

edvard and unixfish like this.
  12. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

I'm terrible for that.
    One week, one big pick feels great, two weeks later, 20210616_075333.jpg one small pick feels better.
    Get them all.

TelEBaby123, SacDAve, edvard and 2 others like this.
  13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Picks. I have been on a "pick hunt" for a while now. I think I finally found what I like best. I've spent about $70 buying V-Picks, Dunlops, and Gravity picks before a winning thickness and shape have emerged; I have two of those now. If they pass the test of time, I may order a few more.

I've posted before about picks; I don't mind spending a bit more for what I like, since I rarely lose them. My current faves are $5 each, which is a lot for a pick, but not really a lot of money in the big picture.

DeepDangler, Frodebro, edvard and 2 others like this.
  14. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I like the way I do it, and everyone else is wrong. :lol:

TelEBaby123, Frodebro, edvard and 3 others like this.
  15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I've been using the Tortex Regular Teardrop picks for 25 years... the blue ones (not sure of gauge).

Imo, it really helps with hybrid picking to have something smaller, but not too small.

Maguchi and edvard like this.
  16. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use the purple Stubby Jazz III 3.0 mm picks for funk and rock. It gives me great control, and is easy to palm for fingerpicked passages. I started our 55 years ago with the thinnest Dunlops I could find, and eventually morphed over the years to thicker and smaller until I settled on these a coupla too-tree years ago ...

Frodebro and edvard like this.
  17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

You had me at 12-pack. :rolleyes:

Maguchi and edvard like this.
  18. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I started using the 358 style and shape several years ago. I've tried a lot of other picks, but I always come back to these. I usually buy the "Alice" brand because they have a wider selection of thicknesses than anyone else. Bigger picks now feel like bricks to me.

Jay Isler and edvard like this.
  19. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I use the Flows. I spent most of last year playing with a 351's point turned in, the rounded "corner" of the wide end of the pick striking the string. Nice non-clicky tone, easy to control, a great suggestion from Guthrie Trapp.

But before that I'd used Flows pointed the "right way" and am mostly back to that again. Since they're shorter, they fit perfectly in the crook of my index finger and don't extend too far beyond the end of it, which for me feels like more control. The point also really works for me and if I turn it as with the 351 above, a flatter tone again.

Big fan of 'em anyhow, but the only thing that matters is what's comfortable to you imo.

Frodebro and edvard like this.
  20. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

First, I’m confused by the initial premise: I am seeing both of those picks for just under $4.00/dozen. What was the budget.?:eek:

Second, I’ve used Jazz iii picks for so long that a full size guitar pick feels freakishly large and clumsy. I’d say I was ruined for full sized picks within about a month of using the smaller ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.