Small Parts Chroming

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by rstaaf, Sep 19, 2021.

1. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Anyone know of a chromer that can deal with small delicate parts?
    My worry with a chromer that specializes in things like automotive parts is that they will lay on too much chrome.

I have a Callaham polished stainless control plate that I want to have chromed to match the rest of the hardware on one of my projects. Stainless looks more like nickle than chrome and it really stands out and makes my OCD brain itch o_O

Why not just get a chrome control plate you ask, well this custom Callaham control plate has the Tone knob hole moved forward a bit to give me wiggle room in the control cavity of a Warmoth body to work out the fitment with the pick guard. A standard control plate creates a ripple effect of problems.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I wonder how chromable SS is? I guess it would be as it has chrome in it. Not sure a control plate is worth it , there are so many Tele chrome plates out there cheap. But as you say....
    I was gonna suggest whomever some of the Hot Rod restoration clubs use. Go to a fall car show and ask around. But it sounds like you are a bit fearful of those shops.
    I will say, they rechrome some valuable, hard to find, small pieces that are irreplaceable for vintage dash boards etc. Shouldn't cost you more than the guitar itself.... :lol:

3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I wouldn’t worry so much about the chrome thickness you will get as I would the price you will get. I am guessing that a minimum charge will be over $100 USD.

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Blank control plates are available online. A job shop would easily be able to put holes and slots exactly where you want them, and probably less $$ than a one-off plating job.

5. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

It depends on where you are located I suppose.

Chroming is a process with a lot of toxic by-products, so there aren't a whole lot of chroming shops in the U.S. anymore.

If you are in the States, I think your best bet would be with a custom automotive chroming outfit.

Chrome is chrome.

Back when I was doing a lot of work on motorcycles, I had some good contacts for chroming.

Good chrome plating is a multistep process with copper base coats, which being softer are more easily buffed and polished, followed by nickel, and topped off with chrome which is a clear oxide plating.

Your most economical choice would be to find someone who has a batch of parts going to the chromer and piggy-back your control plate along with their order.

You might give these folks a call -

HOME | customchromeplating

edit: I think your worries about "chrome thickness" are un-founded.

The only time there is is a considerable thickness buildup is when the piece to be chromed is real rough or pitted - then it takes more layers of copper to develop a smooth surface suitable for the nickel and chrome.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    rstaaf likes this.
  6. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.