Small hands here, 1.650'' nut Modern C vs 1.625'' Soft Clapton V, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Duckattack83, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Duckattack83

Duckattack83 TDPRI Member

I hate wide necked shoulders, like the oval 60s style c and instead love the modern c, but I wish it had a very slight v at the back to fill the space in between my thumb and palm. Would a 1.625'' nut with a Clapton soft v be a good pick? How are the shoulders on the Clapton v with a smaller nut? Any experts?

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My hands are probably about average and I find a small C or a soft V to be most comfortable. But I still enjoy something about my chunkier C necks ;)

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Clapton Strat. I love the neck. You are correct, the soft Clapton V has a good amount of shoulder bulge between the back and the fretboard edge. I hate a Jimmy Vaughan V. It's kinda flat where the shoulder should be and uncomfortable. I've had a couple different "soft V" by aftermarket makers, but they dont have the same feel as the Clapton.
    Are you saying the Clapton is 1.62 nut? I don't think mine is but would have to measure I guess. I dont have big hands and anything up to 1.69 nut is fine for me.
    [​IMG]

4. Duckattack83

I'm having a custom shop strat built and was wondering how a Clapton v with a 1.625 nut would far with a modern c, how would they differ in feel? Not that the Clapton has a standard 1.650 nut, what do you think?

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Boy it's just hard to say. You should get out and play a Clapton to see if you like the V on those. V's are not for everyone. I will say that when I pick up my Clapton, my hand just goes "ahhh..." I'm 72 years old. But I play the MIM more because I prefer rosewood boards for feel. Tone difference is "meh".

I have gotten very used to the Strat C shape, the MIM C shape whatever it is. I've had two US Strats that just didnt feel quite the same as the MIM ones.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a recent Indonesian Squire Affinity Strat.
    They have the same width and depth but cut the back shoulders tighter. They do it by starting the carve at the leading edge of the fretboard and cutting the C where MIM and MIA leave the fretboard sides flat and cut the C starting behind the fretboard glueline.

If you are spending on custom shop level prices ... order a couple of Indonesian Squiers, bullet and affinity, and try those out. you can ship the neck to the custom shop to tell them to make it just like this rather than try to describe over the phone what you want.

Maybe you find the Squier can work for you and you don't need the custom shop. I'd suggest to get a fret level and replace the controls with the same brands used in MIA. Leave the factory pickups as they surprise on the positive side after the new pots and caps swap.

acVox likes this.
  7. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

My hands are on the smaller side and the Clapton V is my favorite profile. It does as you stated and fills in the space between my thumb and palm and does so without feeling overly big and fat. I used to only do barre chords with a full first finger barre but since I have moved to a soft V I like to make ‘em with a partial barre and my thumb.. feels like they were meant to be played that way now . Do indeed get yer hands on one..
    Eddie

8. Duckattack83

how are the shoulders after the v tapers in to the c? I can get the custom shop to shave the shoulders down to a more modern c shoulder, rather than an oval c. Also, should I go for a 41.3mm nut rather than a standard 42m for easier thumb over fretboard barre chords? How tall are you btw? 5'7'', trying to gauge your hand size, unless you know how big they are.

9. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I have a MIJ ST-54 from the early 90's with a pretty thick 'v'. It's very comfortable indeed... Every time I've not played it for a while, when I do it's like coming 'home'.

10. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

I don't notice the shoulders at all. I hate very thin (front to back) necks as their shoulders seem "sharp" and "dig"into my thumb and first finger.The Clapton V seems to fill that space up between my finger and thumb all while not feeling like a big fat nocaster neck. I am more concerned about neck width getting too narrow and then there is less space between the strings and i start to feel like I'm tripping on the strings. I
    I measured my hands and from the base of my thumb to the tip of my middle finger is 7.5 inches long and the width across my knuckles is 3 1/4 inches wide...I always wear medium size gloves.

11. acVox

acVox TDPRI Member

The Clapton neck profile has been a slowly evolving shape over the yrs of his collaboration with the guys in the custom shop.
    It really is its own thing really, somewhere between the soft and hard V based on historic examples, but now are very much personalised to Eric's changing tastes.
    I believe there are illustrations showing how subtle alterations to the profile have changed over the yrs, this may include nut width and neck depth, (I'm sure they are still available somewhere online) Perhaps on the Fender Custom shop website?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.