Small Gap on back on Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GLee94, Mar 14, 2019.

1. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

Ok, so I have a Mexican Nashville Deluxe tele that I've noticed has a small gap on the back of the neck pocket (not the sides like SRV strat, but the actual pocket where the back of the neck meets the body). The gap is prolly <1mm and even all the way across. There is no real negative effect (sounds great, plays great). So I'm not really so much worried about it now, just wondered if something like this could lead to greater issues down the road (guitar is ~2 years old). I suppose there may be a partial shim lifting the neck since I've never popped the neck on the guitar so I do not know. Anyone have experience with bolt-ons like this? Just curious, Thanks!

2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Need to see a picture. It could very well just be the edge of the pocket falls off and it's completely cosmetic.

As you say, sounds great, plays great, I'd keep it as is.

GLee94 likes this.
  3. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

Thank You! I will upload pics later this afternoon, appreciate the feedback!

4. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

It could also be shimmed there - as long as the action is good and the neck is stable, no worries.

GLee94 likes this.
  5. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Shim is my guess.

6. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

I'm going to upload some pictures when I get home from work today, but I've done some reading on similar posts that suggest the screws may be binding in the body + raising it away from the neck when tightened. It's been a common suggestion using an 11/64 bit to widen the holes in the body so the neck+body sit flush. Not sure if I wanna commit to this since the guitar is playing well, but definitely something worth investigating imo if anyone else has tried this. Pics soon! Thanks guys!

7. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

pics here. Gap it just big enough to slide printer paper between body + neck

Attached Files:

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

That's not right, imo
    Remove neck, and check for any debris or uneven stuff
    There might not even be a shim in there, but looks like the neck isn't seated right
    Make sure the screws don't thread in the body... If they do drill body holes a bit
    Very important that the screws don't thread in the body, very common they do.... Also from Fender

Chunkocaster, LutherBurger and GLee94 like this.
  9. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

will do! Thanks

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Re-look - sorry for the hasty first response. I think it just needs to be screwed on again. If it creates an action problem, then the pocket needs to be either trimmed or shimmed, depending on the skill of the person doing it.

BUT, if it's playing fine for you and sustains well and sounds good and plays well, I would leave it alone unless you're just curious.

GLee94 likes this.
  11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

...oops...duplicate thread

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Do you have a quick-grip type clamp with a non-marking surface? That's probably the easiest way to get everything to stay together while you're running the screws in.

13. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

If the surfaces are even close to level, the neck should just fall into place.
    Remember these are two Fender parts meant to go together
    Even in this CNC age, things can go wrong, items resting on debris while getting cut and so, but it is very rare things like that happen
    I almost guarantee you that the holes in the body are too small, and the angle of the screws prevent the neck from being drawn straight down to the floor of the neck pocket

GLee94 likes this.
  14. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

^^^^ This.

...or...

Looks like maybe the neck pocket "bottom" is not perfectly flat?

GLee94 likes this.
  15. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

I plan on popping the neck over the weekend and possibly using an 11/64 bit to bore the holes in the body a lil wider. If of course theres nothing resting between the neck and body causing the gap. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll post update when I pop the neck.

16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Be prepared for stickers , misaligned shim, overspray, holes in both neck and body that needs an undercut treatment, and whatever else could be revealed in there

17. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

And , if the gap you have shown here goes away, you will have to adjust the action quite another afterwards!

GLee94 likes this.
  18. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

Oh, I anticipate some setup work afterwards. Partially why I'm holding off until this weekend when I have the time to tinker. Thanks for the heads up! Haha

19. GLee94

GLee94 TDPRI Member

UPDATE: I popped the neck over the weekend. Ended up drilling the holes in body w/ 3/16 bit and removing a barcode sticker on inside of neck. Once reattached the neck now sits flush (no gap) and I was able to raise the saddles slightly, they were decked before to get decent action. Appreciate all the insight + assistance. Thank you all!

Chunkocaster, SuprHtr and galaxiex like this.
  20. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Well done. It's fun to solve these issues yourself, especially when you end up improving on what the factory did (and probably should have done better!).

Cheers,
    Rex

GLee94 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.