1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small Fender Solid State Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Velorex, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

Hello Everybody!

Normally i use my SF Princeton.
    I also have an old sidekick 5o Bass amplifier which sounds quiet OK
    and a Squier SP 10 with crappy built in Speaker.
    Are there any small (under 50 watt) Fender solid state amps useful?
    Especially the older ones, Frontman etc., cheap for home use?
    Do they all have crappy built in speakers lacking brilliance?
    What are your expieriences?

velorex

PhredE likes this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Mustang that I use for a headphone amp and home practice. It's fine. People rave about the Super Champ which is a SS/tube hybrid. If you are looking for something small for home use, the Roland Blues Cube and Yamaha THR get a lot of love around here.

3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A used Mustang III V2 will run $150 or so (US dollars). A Mustang II V2, which is smaller and lower powered will be about $100. Both of these do a good job of decent sound without needing big volume.

The Champion 50 and Champion 20 are inexpensive, and do a good clean sound to put a pedal in front of.

The Angle likes this.
  4. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

any Roland Cube series amp gets a lot of love too! Boss Katana 50 watt is also a nice SS amp for home use with its selectable power switch.
    Unfortunately the OP is asking about small “Fender” amps and we are giving him non Fender options.

5. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Cheap fender SS amps are often much improved by a simple speaker upgrade....you don't even have to go with a super expensive high end speaker...just a step up from what they come from the factory with is often a pretty good upgrade.
    The Frontman 25r's are often paired with a Ragin Cajun for pretty decent results.
    Of course...a lot depends on the sound you are looking for.
    The bonus is...the Frontman 25r's are dirt cheap....so it's a pretty low risk venture to just try a different speaker or two, or heck...get two...set them up in stereo with a wet / dry / different speaker combo..... Don't underestimate the sound of 2 small amps, they can sound really good with some tweaking.

If you can find them, I kind of like the old Harvard / Yale / London SS amps from the 80's. Decent clean sound, good reverb, cheap. Stick a $35 Joyo American sound in the FX loop...and you are all set.

PhredE likes this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i had one in the 80s...lil 10 watt thing...sounded like a wasp in jam jar
    cant remember which model it was...i had it given...

7. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Champion 20 sounds pretty good but a little hissy

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  8. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

I'm kind of jonesing for an old Princeton Chorus that I can use as a 2x10" extension cab, with the benefit of a backup clean ss amp.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm VERY happy with my pretty new/used Fender Frontman 25R ( bought used for $50 on Cl in March)

I LOVE its clean tone ( in the BF/SF clean ballpark) and real Spring Reverb, I have used it every weekend for low volume R&R/blues gigs since June- with an SG, Strat, Dano
    My particular Frontman came with an aftermarket Celestion 10"'-Thirty which I found good-sounding, but maybe a little too thin in the midrange, believe it or not.

So I replaced it with an Eminence Legend 1058 and this amp sound just great clean or overdriven ( I use a few OD's at low Drive). The $$ for the speaker is worth it! ($65)
    Very happy- cheap, light, LOUD ( when needed), sounds like a Fender!

20201010_200155.jpg 20201010_200050.jpg

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

A kid who lived down the hall in college had a Sidekick Reverb 35, a 1 x 12 combo, that sounded surprisingly good for medium-gain crunch-type tones. It didn’t get anywhere near metal-levels of saturation but it was a nice sounding, light, portable amp.

PhredE likes this.
  11. CarsAndGuitarsYT

CarsAndGuitarsYT TDPRI Member

I don't have a picture of MINE, but here's what I used to use:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.23.24 AM.png

It's a good practice amp, and it's actually pretty loud. It came with my first electric guitar (Mini Squier Strat) and still being used today. It's cool. The only add-on I use is a reverb pedal because the amp doesn't come with reverb.

Tyuk and Crobbins like this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Look at the LT25 small modeling amp...$149

Billy3 and DougM like this.
  13. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Had a Frontman 25, then the 65. Both sounded great on cleans. Especially after I went with Ragin’ Cajun in 25. Soon had to let them go... absolutely great amp for clean, with... very afordable price!

PhredE likes this.
  14. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

After using my Vox Cambridge 15 (similar to a Pathfinder but with a 12ax7 preamp tube) for a couple of years for tiny gigs I started looking for a small, solid state Fender to pair it with. A couple of them was actually given to me, both having some issues though. A Champion 110 and a Frontman 15r.

Until I get them fixed, I use a Fender Rumble 15 as the wet (+dry) amp with the Vox as the dry. Bought the Rumble as a livingroom bass amp but together with the Vox it sounds really nice for guitar. The Rumble is very clean and delay/reverb pedals sounds great through it.

15. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

My go to small SS Fender is the Bronco. You can see most of it on the rights side in the picture below, sitting on top of a Peavey amp.

The amp has a 8” speaker and a switch to select between clean and dirty. The trick for sweet toanz is to select the dirty side and dial back the gain. It gives a nice fat clean sound.

I originally bought it for the cab to build a tweed Champ. But the Bronco turned out to be a good amp.

[​IMG]

Alamo and Crobbins like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I think the Champ 20 and 40 are pretty popular.
    I like my little Crate Powerblock as well as any I've had. KISS

17. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

The Tone Master Deluxe is amazing, and if you want a "small amp" set the attenuator to .5 or .2 watts

18. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

My sons Bronco is still at my house and in the past I would use it when we would play at Nursing Homes. I’d stick a chorus and delay or reverb pedal in front of it and it sounded great! I have taken the back panel off of it to make it an open back...it just seems to make it sound fuller.

DADGAD likes this.
  19. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

In a basement closet I have a cheapo Champion 30 amp I bought in 2000 or 2001 and actually gigged with a lot back then in a strange little cabaret band with a fantastic Czech accordion player. I didn't have a car, so I wheeled the amp, my guitar, and a bowling bag for a couple pedals and cables in a shopping cart on cobblestone streets. Hence, the reverb springs are a little loose and clangy.

I remember the amp having a pretty good clean sound if I maxed bass and mid knobs and kept treble at half to three-fourths. I should dig that amp back out.

20. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

At the price they charge for them, they damn well better be amazing!

PhredE and Mike M like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.