1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone for Live Performance

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Paul in Colorado, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to use Neumann KM-84's when I was a touring sound guy, but they weren't mine and are out of my budget range. Does anyone have favorites in the sub $500 range?

2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have a set of upgraded Oktava mk012 multi capsule mics that were fantastic and very affordable. There was one guy who brought them into the US years ago and did some capsule upgrades and frequency matching. It looks like Oktava has become a bit more of a player in recent years and that guy’s services have gone the way of the dodo.

Not sure if the current ones are as good as the ones from the early 2000’s though.

3. Chud

Shure SM81 is a good choice too. I’ve used them all over the stage from overheads to hat mics, piano, and all sorts of acoustic instruments.

4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Chud likes this.
  5. Chud

Yep, that’s the guy. Should have never sold my set. They were about half that price back in the early 2000’s, but worth every penny of today’s price.

jimash likes this.
  6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have a pair of Rode NT5 small diaphragm mics, I have never used them live but for recording they sound great.

7. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for Michael Joly...I’ve got 4 of his SDC and 3 LDC, all solid performers

Josephson C42s are another great choice.

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Joly modded Oktava and it is a very nice mic. Smooth up top. A bonus is you can add other capsules to get different polar patterns. Really nice bang for the buck, at least a few years back.

The Josephsons mentioned are worth a look. Beyer 930s too, but it looks like they’ve had a big price hike since I last was last considering them.

This is all studio though. Don’t know how they’d fare live, feedback suppression, proximity effect etc.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

First question, what are you using it on?

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Acoustic guitar, mandolin, fiddle, maybe a Weissenborn or Dobro.

11. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

So it's not an 84, have not seen one of those in a while (you are dating yourself) or even a KM 184 but I have used Shure SM137 microphones with great results on everything you mention except a Weissenborn, but no one has brought me one to mic at my venues. It is not a recording mic but for live it sounds good rejects well from the back, has good gain before feedback in general and it built well. I do mostly acoustic music and I have four of these in my mic box and another one at home. Since your list is stuff I see all the time I feel comfortable reccommending them. It is sub $200 and sounds better through a PA then most mics that are between it and a KM 184. It is not a DPA or a Earthworks, it has a slight hi end attenuation, which makes it excel at fiddle, that works well for me. So you have a point of reference I also have access to SM81 and AKG Blueline and KM 184 at my other theater and still like these mics.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  12. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have some Rode NT3 mics that work great on acoustic guitar, mando, dobro etc. I got them used for around $170 each if I recall correctly.

13. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Not sure if you've heard of these folks at Ear Trumpet Labs, but they are definitely turning a few heads, especially in the folk and acoustic industry.

http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/products/microphones/edna

As you see they have an unusual archaic look to them

I have the Edwina Model which is one of the large diaphragm models....Incredibly accurate and honest sounding mic

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. Chud

Those are pretty neat. Do they turn green over time? Or are the copper pipes/flanges clear coated?

15. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Good question....I'm guessing clear coated though. Mine still looks the same after 5 years.

I probably wouldn't mind if it did tarnish a bit, a touch of character....lol

Chud likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.