1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small body 12 string acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Titletone, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Titletone

Titletone Tele-Meister

Looking to buy a 12 string acoustic, but the dreadnaughts and jumbos just aren't very comfortable for me to play. Does anyone have any suggestions for a smaller bodied 12 string?

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ovation? Guy at church has had his for over 30 years. Sounds like a 12-string to me! Just have to get used to that bowl-back sliding around, but I'd give them a serious look if size is a concern.

3. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Try a Tanglewood TW145/12. It's what they call a super folk size - rather smaller than a dreadnought or jumbo.

I have the TW45NS 6 string, which is the same size. Mine is the next range up from the 145/12, however it stands up incredibly well to pretty much all comers at open mics.

4. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

although my personal preference is for Jumbo or Dreadnaught 12 strings,, I have played a number of smaller bodied ones. Guild and Taylor have good ones that have been in their catalog at different times and are available in the used market as well. If you don't need all wood, I think that the Ovation Legend 12 String and the Rainsong WS 12 string models sound great and are much more stable than wooden 12 strings, which is great in a gigging situation. the best smaller bodied 12 string I ever played was a Larrivee (their C body shape, which is like a Gurian classical) but those are harder to find.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

It ain't gonna be cheap, but I like the old Gibson B-25s. Friend had one and it sounded great.
    But as far as sounding great, I haven't found a 12-string that sounds as good as a Taylor 55 series or a Guild jumbo. Or course, those are bigger bodies...

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Can't vouch for them as I have never played one but you might take a look at the Vintage Paul Brett Signature guitars. They seem to be very reasonably priced and even Stefan Grossman has given them a shout out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.