1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small board, what do you all omit?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I us
    I use a very large pedal board for compression, wah, volume, tuner, distortion, POG, etc., and a separate board for time delay based pedals which goes in to the effects loop. That’s my live rig. At home, I don’t need all that cumbersome stuff - just a few effects.

The OP presented a hypothetical scenario for us to contemplate and exchange ideas. Why would you insult him and the participants on here? In fact, why were you even drawn to this thread to begin with? In the future, if you spot a “lame” thread, please just move on to a thread that you can contribute to.

2. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Why, to troll of course!

Blues Twanger likes this.
  3. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I suppose if I absolutely needed something small, I would consider a few of the Mooer chiclet-sized effects. It would need to be just a "git-R-dun" kind of thing, but are we talking the only band vehicle now is going to be a Cooper Mini? Or why do we need to go small?

Cooper Mini 3.jpg
    I think before I lose pedals off my board the drummer could lose about 15 of his cymbals and stands... doesn't really need a double bass kit to play blues... I've seen some very talented musical drummers play with a snare, mounted tom, and one floor tom... high-hat, crash and a ride...

The bass player can leave his Ampeg 810E SVT cab home, he could maybe just get by with an MXR M81 bass preamp direct to front of house...
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-bass-preamp/

The keyboard guy needs to leave the 5' x 8' trailer of JUST keyboard stuff home... all the rest of his Rick Wakeman setup can stay at home, just pick one damned good 88-key workstation and one keyboard stand

And the singer could get a hair cut... no more of the Linc from Mod Squad afro stuff going on... that just takes up too damned much room

I suppose if we tied the drums and one keyboard to the top of the Cooper, and did all the rest of the shrinking, we'd fit... And then I wouldn't need to shrink my pedalboard at all...

4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I had to get rid of the Volume pedal, the Wah Wah, Equalizer, Compressor, Tremelo and Chorus to make room for the Octaver, Harmonist, Looper and Reverb.

5pedos.jpg Boss TR-2.jpg pedo board.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Did it break when you dropped it?:)

Ducksteino likes this.
  6. Kansas

Kansas TDPRI Member

Frequently at band practice I just use a TC mini Flashback delay to fatten things up. Actually I could play a gig and be ok, but then, there aren’t any gigs.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Then your amp already makes the dirty or clean sound you need?
    If I had that (or with my OR15) just a delay is great.
    But then why not add a few icing pedals?
    Actually the delay is in the loop of the OR15 and always on so nothing goes on the floor.

8. telemnemonics

I see you list Detroit as your home?
    I hear there are whole streets of empty buildings there?
    With tons of space and notta lotta people there ain't much reason to downsize!

9. telemnemonics

What do you do with the harmonist and how often?
    I have an older Boss pitch shifter I bought as a curio and have no clue what musical things it does.
    The Boss PS has some harmonizer settings but I think single voice where the harmonist has two voice.
    For that matter I couldn't find a use for the Boss Octave but at least I understand what it does.

10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

With the Harmonist you click it in and out on certain sections of a tune. With this pedal you use the third knob to select one of 12 keys. The fourth knob selects if you are in major or minor or pitch shift. With the second knob there are 8 settings. The first is "3 voice" and will add 2 additional voices to create the diatonic triad of the note you played in the selected key. With the second knob, there are 2 more inversions for triads, a setting for 3rds, a setting for 5ths and another setting for 6ths. The first knob adjusts the amount of dry and effected signal. Haven't used the pitch shift setting yet. I hate reading manuals and like to just plug in and play. Have you looked online yet for a manual to your pitch shifter pedal?

20210216_115542.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    telemnemonics likes this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

It can be really cool to be in a guitar-less punk band with just bass and use the harmonizer for power chords before your dirt:

i had a two man punk band where i tuned down to B standard or sometimes just played bass on the A through G string. I always wanted to try octaver and harmonizer in parallel into a fuzz so i could do power chords with one finger and also get bass parts, or be able to do higher up freakout solos on bass. when you have that much dirt it doesn't quite matter how natural the pitch shifting sounds. but in general i only use them for octave or 4ths and 5ths.

telemnemonics and Maguchi like this.
  12. telemnemonics

I did some google searching but there's also a chart on the side of the (PS-3) pedal with some setting details.
    Might be a problem with my imagination?
    I've read though that mine is not popular in a musical context.
    At the same time I've played in a lot of free music or I suppose experimental, so maybe I need to revisit it.

13. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Now see I'm the exact opposite, All I Need is a Phaser, unless that amp doesn't have reverb, then we will be using a delay too. Otherwise I can live without effects in general.

14. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's usually dirt that gets kicked off the board, probably because that's what I have a variety of. I keep 2 dirts, a comp, wah, large delay, chorus, buffer/booster, tuner - yeah can't kick the tuner off, I sound bad enough when I'm IN tune.

15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Reverb. I like it but not enough to warrant the space. My amps have it other than the Vox MV50Ac.

16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

There is definitely a lot of pre-planning and arranging a tune involved in using Harmonist and Octaver pedals

17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I don't need any. So I don't leave off anything. All pedals are extra. I only like real overdrive from an amp, so I don't even own an OD pedal. I tend to not want to use reverb or tremolo unless they're from an amp as well, so my small board is tuner, fuzz, delay. My three favorite things amps don't do.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  18. kilroy6262

kilroy6262 TDPRI Member

Yes, I know, but that's not what he said. I've been in bands with guys without a sense of humor too.

19. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Joy. You will be omitting joy.

20. Kansas

Kansas TDPRI Member

I play through a Bartel Starwood amp and the amp sounds so good that pedals really aren’t necessary to correct the amps shortcomings. It doesn’t have any. Yes you can dial anything from clean to dirty and different tonal personalities with the few amp knobs. Once you are on to it, the Starwood is an amazing thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.