1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small board, what do you all omit?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Comp, modulation(except tremolo), tuner. I need my four dirt two delay wah/verb to successfully launch from Cape Canaveral!

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

No, I built it myself. The Nux Cerebus allows you to send 2 functions to an ext switch. It has more functions than switches, so that is a handy feature.

Cooler, but not obvious is the tuner, which has a built-in power distributor. It powers all the other pedals.
    . IMG_20200830_114646.jpg
    IMG_20200823_155800.jpg

3. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Never used a pedal on stage ...too old fashioned I guess. lol

Blues Twanger likes this.
  4. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

OK, I get the gist of this thread. "IF" you only have a small board, yadda yadda yadda. Thing is, I think this thread is kinda lame. Senseless.

Why . . . for the life of me . . . anyone would restrict themselves to owning a small board, and then figure out what NOT to put on the teeny thing . . . is beyond me, beyond words, and certainly beyond IMAGINATION!

If you only use a few pedals, and that fits your style, AND needs, then a small board is fine! But . . .

If we're talking budget . . . this still makes no sense. Need a bigger board? MAKE ONE for A COUPLE $BUCKS$! Seriously. A piece of board. Bingo!!!

Go to Goodwill. Find a suitcase for $2 that's big enough. Make sure it's one where the top is shallower than the bottom. Like maybe 3" deep top, and at least 4 or 5 inch deep bottom. Remove the hinges so top and bottom are separate. Spray paint it all black (or color of choice) Buy a piece of 1/4" thick pegboard. Places like Lowes and Home Depot will cut them to size for you. Just make it about 1/4" shorter on both sides so it fits into the top of the suitcase lid and lays flat. As in, it fits inside the top/lid.

I can elaborate, but won't here or now. But you mount the pedals on the pegboard using zip ties! Easy as can be. Neat. Quick. Strong. You just use the holes in the pegboard! Even the cheapest, thinner zip ties will secure the pedals to the pegboard. And you can get them in a lot of different lengths, and colors!
    Use one color, or match ties to pedal colors.

Put "legs" under the top edge of the pegboard so the board tilts up. What ever angle you want. Maybe use 3" legs. Or better, a strip of wood across the whole board length. BUT I prefer legs so there are open spaces. So I can slide power supplies, excess cables, chords, etc. under the pegboard. You now have a nice 3" (or whatever) space under the board for "stuff".

You can just tilt the board up while putting the pedals in place.

If you go with legs, use several. At least 3 or 4. The board needs to stay rigid so when you step on a pedal the board doesn't sag.

You'll also need a brace running front to back under the board in the middle of the length. And along the outer left and right sides as well. Keeping the pegboard rigid. You'll need to cut an angle on the support boards near the bottom, (nearest you) for clearance so the board isn't too high off the bottom of the suitcase top. I uses thin angle made of stamped metal. Angle makes it much stronger than thin wood.

You can make one of these in a day! As big as you like. Add removable hinges to top/bottom so you can just lay the suitcase down on its top. Unlatch it. And slide the bottom (top) off at gigs.

Or you can use velcro strips and straps to keep them together during transport.

This whole project, used suitcase, paint, wood strips, pegboard, velcro, straps (got a used belt you don't need!) maybe $30! And it'll be as large as you want!

I built a board using a 42" x 28" x 7" high trunk. 28 pedals. Power supplies underneath. I put some lights under the board. They shine through the uncovered holes in the pedal board. What ever color I want at the time. (YRBG or W)

Why would I want a board with 28 pedals? Because I wanted one! They aren't all wired in series. I use an 8 loop pedal looper. Have 48 patches available. (combinations of pedals, like a processor would have.) I don't like processors. I have a few. Just prefer pedals. Plus my Morley Power Wah/Volume pedal is off the board. Sits next to the board. Next to the pedal switcher.

There's absolutely no excuse for not having a large enough board. None!

A piece of board! Cut to size. Or plywood! Some velcro. Paint. BINGO!

5. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

Not using pedals isn't old fashion. Pedals have been around since the 1940's.
    Started with Tremolo, reverb and fuzz.

J. Bonkosky and telemnemonics like this.
  6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

That's a lot of words to dedicate to a senseless thread. Thanks!

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg TDPRI Member

Tube Driver, Big Muff, WahWah

8. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Get rid of the tremolo and the flanger.

9. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

I'd like to start off saying a reverb, tremolo and compressor are absolutely necessary.
    If you do not like these you are an immature child musician.
    Now the moment you are waiting for.... what pedal would I take off the board.
    My Electro-Harmonix B9 organ machine pedal. I must confess I have "organ player jealousy".
    But even with this pedal , I do not sound like the "Keith Emerson" I feel inside me.
    I am an organ player loser.

K

10. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

1) i didn't have a car for 8 years (and once again i don't have one). having something as lightweight as possible that slings around your shoulder in a little bag makes life easier when you might have to schlep an amp and a guitar with it on public transportation. and i absolutely hate stuff that's big for aesthetic reasons (seriously, i can fit most through hole fuzzes in a 1590a, with two or three knobs, why the hell are you using some giant enclosure???).

2) i try not to do pedals that are one trick ponies. things on my board are usually something to develop different uses for, or have a number of functions. e.g., i don't need three boosts when i can build or mod one to work as a TS, clean boost, treble booster and switch it accordingly for different types of music. historically i have modded or built most things on my board to my needs to cut the fat.

3) that being said, limitations are the mother of creativity. audience thinks a guy who shows up with a massive board is some kind of sorcerer, most of the time i just see someone who can't make up their mind, or unfortunately in some cases, doesn't know their gear well enough.

4) when all was said and done with my first pedalboard that i built from wood (which was about the size of a pedaltrain nano), like you said, it probably ran about 30 something bucks. at that point i could have just bought someone's used pedaltrain nano for the same and gotten a free carrying case.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    J. Bonkosky and Blues Twanger like this.
  11. Tim Hicks

Tim Hicks TDPRI Member

I would omit everything, including the board, then spend the money saved on a better amp and better speakers.

12. Blues Twanger

This isn't a bad answer and it is a valid opinion, if that level of simplicity suits your needs.

Tim Hicks likes this.
  13. Track29

Track29 TDPRI Member

This be my rig:

PedalBoard.jpg

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

OD, delay, and reverb. I keep one slot open for whatever I might be currently messing with.

15. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

You guys and your fancy “boards”...

Personally, I can see the value of having a smaller board.. but considering how much crap we bring to gigs already in many cases, I would get a bigger board and not compromise. Moving gear is miserable... So what’s another 5% more misery in the heat of battle?

But to each his own, whatever makes the misery most worth it.

16. fajiteru

fajiteru NEW MEMBER!

Just Neo OD, Blackstar Distortion, Line 6 M5 and Hall of Fame Mini reverb. Thinking about Noise Gate as it is still small enough to fit my board. Line 6 M5 can supply myriad of sounds including a tuner so very convenient in a small package.

17. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

Just a tuner, various types of overdrive, and delay.

[​IMG]

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

What I don't understand about this thread is how many people worry about tuners...surely we're mostly Tele players on here and only need to tune up once a month? ;)

I did put a small board together and ran out of space, so that became my loop board instead, with echo, trem and reverb on it. I got a large one for my main 'input' board. I've got a space on the end of it for a 'guest' pedal depending what I'm going to be playing I can easily put an extra one on the end.

I've got one of those organ pedals on my loop board, but it's quite a skill to play in a style that makes it sound anything like a real organist, so I think that will be coming off soon.

19. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue TDPRI Member

If you have a good instrument and the right amp (I'm blessed with both) you can dispense with most of 'em. Drive and reverb are in the amp, so what else do you really need? Maybe a tuner. Delay, sometimes, but not a lot. It's what you actually do that counts. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

20. Blues Twanger

I do have to ask the "just a guitar and amp" crowd how they find themselves in the pedal subforum...

BorderRadio, pippoman and unfamous like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.