1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small board, what do you all omit?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

I have a small board for at home practice and small gigs that goes -> distortion -> delay -> reverb -> looper.

BSG1 likes this.
  2. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Hah, that small board has 99 knobs and 60 switches!

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

Yeah for Timmy

4. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

I guess I need to figure out my delay pedals, I have a TC and a TOMKAT...but, can't get the things to work like I think they should. Maybe it's my lack of rhythm...LOL! It's not my bad hearing cuz I play loud.

I don't "gig" in fact I spend more time building pedals and amps than practicing, so pedals rotate on and off my board monthly.
    Cheers Mates!

decibel likes this.
  5. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction TDPRI Member

I have far too many pedals... And another couple arriving in the next day or so.

Depends on the size of the board, but if I went barebones, I'd need a tuner of course. I could get by with Tuner -> OD -> Delay if the amp had built in verb. Set if for a good rythym sound and use the OD (probably a TS mini) and delay just to help lead parts stand out in the mix a touch.

Of course, on my board currently is fuzz, tuner, comp, EQ, a couple of drive stages, phaser, chorus, delay, reverb and looper. But the imaginary audience at home love them

6. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

Yeah for the RAT

7. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

Like those space saving flat wire jumper cables...where did you get them?
    Also, gotta love the utility of a bottle opener, why didn't I think of it.

Killing Floor likes this.
  8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Only pedal board:
    Supro Boost- tuner- overdrive (subject to change)- wah- TS9- tremolo- Ibanez stereo chorus- TC digital reverb.
    Boost and reverb are almost "outboard": makes it easier to skip them if they aren't needed.
    On the gigs where I slim down, it's tuner- wah- TS9, pulled from my bag of tricks, with the occasional addition of an A/B/Y box to run two amps, all on batteries.
    The amps are usually Super Champs: an X2 and an XD.
    Barefoot through either of those is just fine, also.

9. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

That is what I end up with. I have a lot more than four pedals, but most of them serve as variations.

Lately it's been just a VFE Red Wolf (Rat) and a Hermida/Lovepedal EPH-3 delay. I have a TC Alter Ego in the chain, but I have been using it more as a looper to capture little ideas. Went through my drive/OD "pile" to find something a bit more aggressive. 3 pedals later I ended up preferring the Rat copy.

10. Brek01

Brek01 TDPRI Member

There are only OD pedals on my board, so hmmm, I suppose to strip it to bare min I would use the Timmy and my decibelics golden horsie. The other 6 OD pedals will have to wait it out.

11. David Menke

David Menke TDPRI Member

boss board.jpg new build.jpg

Attached photos show a new build and a boss case. Main board has 10+ pedals, but for the average gig, whether it is at a church, jam session or club, a small and simple pedal board will do. The new build is waiting on an MXR compressor. Sometimes simple is the best way. Pedals are icing on the cake. Talent is in your hands and mind.

havlma1 likes this.
  12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I love those Nano boards but since I am attached to my Orange Terror Stamp I end up filling them before I get to any effects.

I've always had amps with an onboard reverb and more than a one knob EQ. When I use this Stamp it's a pedal itself, plus a delay or verb pedal, plus an EQ pedal. So I'm up to three with just what I consider my Amp section lol.

I have very seriously considered using the multiple Nanos in a modular sense. One with the Stamp/delay/EQ, one with effects I'd run in the loop, and one with effects I send in the front.

But, does three mini boards defeat the purpose of a mini board? Lol.

13. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

this is what i'm working on, on a pedaltrain nano+:

board.png

fuzz face > soda meiser > green ringer > forest green comp > iridium (with expression pedal for drive amount)

the fuzz face and ringer are sideways for easy access, as well as easily being able to hit both at the same time for an octavia sound. ringer is closer because i use it a lot by itself for "clean" octave up weirdness.

the soda meiser i actually built with the final stage of the bit legend of fuzz, so it's kind of useless on it's own, but it turns into a full bit legend of fuzz when you use the fuzz face as the first two transistor stage.

the comp is really subtle, just to even out hammer ons and add sustain when distorted. it has the clean signal blended in significantly, and will slam the iridium front end a little to make up for the lack of gain in the fender mode. if i'm not using the iridium, i can use the expression pedal as a volume, after the comp to dial in an amp between clean and dirty.

for delays i usually just do it either in my DAW or on my groovebox, tempo sync'ed. if i were to play without the iridium into a real amp, i'd just throw a flashback mini on there instead for slapback. I hardly ever use reverb as an effect, I only really use room reverb in post.

i'm thinking about putting the expression pedal on the floor, the iridium on a table (only take it out when playing ampless, which will invariably involve a table for other electronics), and then adding either an envelope filter or pitch shifter, but idk, that might be too much in my book.

even though i play mostly experimental music, i'm more or less a "gain-only" type of guy. most of the weird effects i do come from my hands or objects. for years my only pedals were a blues driver and a volume pedal, so a small board is not really much of a concession for me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  14. David Menke

David Menke TDPRI Member

Pedal train makes a 18" and a 28" straight across. No tiers to reach. I got the 14in Nano so I could limit to 4 pedals, and the tuner acting as a power source. Pictured is my main board main board.jpg
    For small venues Modified Blues Jr, which now has a decent reverb and extension speaker. Any large venue, which has not been the case lately, either a Boogie SOB or Fender bandmaster, both combo amps.

15. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Yup, I knew the Nanos come larger but was brainstorming in the realm.of the little one, sorry if I didn't explain it well enough.

I've got a Metro 16 and a Classic Jr both going at the moment. The three pedals that make up my amp sound as I described above are the top row of the Jr, so in effect my effects portion (lol) is the same size as the Nano+ at a single row of 18" across the bottom of the Jr.

16. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

For me, it really depends on what gig I'm playing. For my Rockabilly band, I just need dirt, overdrive, delay and tuner. For my main band, the singer covers a lot of ground so I have a couple of other effects pedals, but the truth is, I could get away with the Rockabilly band if need be. When I play with a Classic Rock band, I really bring on the pedals; don't need them all, but that band only plays big stages so there is always plenty of room. Tuner is a must have for me, I hate the look of those clip on tuners, and I've seen more than one instance where multiple people used them and they didn't match each other or my pedal tuner so that's a non starter for me.

17. clem trout

clem trout TDPRI Member

Blues Twanger likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

These are EBS brand cables but there are several others available. I believe Sweetwater has them as do a couple local stores here. They come in various lengths which is also helpful. Here's an extra one I haven't used yet (which means I need another pedal or a bigger board?). I know Rattlesnake Cables sells sets of board cables as well. These are easy enough to find.
    upload_2021-2-12_13-8-24.png

BSG1 likes this.
  19. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Curious about the foot switch - Music Man amp?

Current board has 11 pedals, but my mini traveling board that fit in carry-on luggage was just 5 on a Pedaltrain Nano with a Volto rechargeable battery:
    Dunlop Wah
    Barber Direct Drive
    Paul Cochrane Timmy
    Xotic EP Boost
    Ibanez AD9 Delay
    2015 Aug Mini Pedalboard.jpeg

20. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Wah is the first to go, just doesn't get used enough to worry about. Then I went small; Phase 95 in place of big Univibe, Stereo Electric Mistress in place of both Boss RT20 and MXR Micro Flange. Mooer OCD knock-off instead of Red Llama. Mooer delay instead of Boss Giga-Delay. Then a stupid headstock tuner (I hate those, but I was downsizing).

loopfinding likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.