1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small board, what do you all omit?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. guitargeek

guitargeek TDPRI Member

I'm just here to compliment your Amanda Gorman avatar. I'm an 8th grade English teacher and my poetry unit just happened to fall in Jan when she read for the inauguration. My students are loving her.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

A pedalboard tuner isn't the only kind of tuner. But yes I've been in bands as well with folks who only think one way.

3. guitargeek

guitargeek TDPRI Member

All I ever use is tuner, OD, two delays, reverb. That is all.

4. Late Comer

Late Comer Tele-Meister

My standard setup is: wah/volume pedal, crunch, and echo. Depending on my mood and the gig, I'll add one or any combination of a phase shifter, tremolo, compressor, chorus, and volume boost.

5. hank57

hank57 TDPRI Member

Definitely OD, Distortion, Echo and verb (unless your amp has verb)....if you can get a mini PolyTune tuner in the first position, it has the Bonafide buffer in it so you’re buffered with a quality buffer as well. Extras would be chorus or trem

6. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Treble Boost>OD>Delay>ABY (+ 2 amps, which defeats the purpose of a small board LoL. The 2 amps both have on-board reverb and trem.)

For a single tweed amp, a slight amount of treble boost is handy for lead breaks in live band situations, and sometimes a delay is fun. Flint is also handy.

I've also got a whole lot of pedals I mostly don't use LoL - they sit in a chest of drawers

7. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

My house amp (I supply it and 10 other guys play it at the blues jam) is a Laney LC30...4cEL84 for 30 watts. I have 2 of em. One is 2X10 other is 1x 12. Both of these amps have same head built into the combo. It's got reverb a clean channel that's not really clean and a gain channel that has plenty o' gain. I used to use my home pedal-board with it, but last year or so, just lug straight in with a clip-on tuner. Not a lot of real estate available on the stage and often not a lot of time to get ready, so this just works better.

When there is a lot going on and I need to cut through, I use the clean cranked up and use guitar volume to fatten or clean up.

When I have more sonic space, I use the gain channel. It's pretty danged good! BTW: I paid less than $400 each for these amps on ebay. Had to have both serviced at about $150 each, so $650 per amp. They're pretty sweet.

If I'm bringing my own; Basic Setup; in order: Shure rechargeable wireless with tuner built in (not cheap, but I'm saving batteries like crazy and it just alway, always works. > Keely small compressor > Keely Java Boost > Joyo AC Tone (fabulous pedal at any price...They're $39 new > Roland Space Echo pedal.

Lately I've been binging on new pedals due to covid boredom: added, before the AC Tone, a cool lo-fi delay and after it, an equalizer and a phaser...going for a bit more of a Trower sound. These are, so far, in the experimental stage. Also putting one of 3 wah pedals in the chain, but not sure yet which one or where in the chain.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  8. stueycaster

stueycaster TDPRI Member

I used to play through a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212. It had a clean plus 2 gain channels, 16 digital reverbs and delays and a stereo chorus. Then along with it I used 2 compressors and a graphic eq. I had all the bases covered.

But then 25 years of carrying it around in the trunk of my car banged it around so much that things started breaking. And I discovered that I like the Vox sound. I had to build a pedal board to have the the sounds the Peavey spoiled me with. I use 2 overdrives, 2 compressors, graphic eq, delay, chorus, harmonizer and AB switch. I couldn't be without any of them. I play various types of music and I have different sounds for all of them.

9. Pcs264

Pcs264 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I used to have 12-15 pedals on my board, and over recent years I've kept shrinking it. Here's my current board, unchanged since early 2020:
    Pedal Board 2020.JPG
    Total = 1 knob and 2 switches. The MXR Micro Amp is just used as an occasional clean boost for solos or a tiny bit of grit. How & why did I do this?
    1. I gradually let go of the idea of emulating tones from other players, recordings, etc. and moved toward finding tones that felt like mine & made me happy. and,
    2. I gradually found a guitar & amp who's essential tones I really loved (it's a 2019 AmPro Tele with Mojotone Classic Tele pickups and a Tone Master Twin Reverb).
    Once I did those, all the other pedals seemed like they were just in the way. I don't play in a cover band, but even if I did, I've learned that the only people who care that the guitar tone matches the record are the couple of other guitarists in the room!

Jbnaxx and Blues Twanger like this.
  10. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Haven't read the whole thing, just answering the question from my point of view.
    All I need is dirt and reverb, and if I am gigging, not just jamming at home or with friends, I never leave home without my noise gate. I cannot stand venues with crappy wiring or neon/fluorescent lighting(that's most places, honestly)where if you take your hands off of the strings for a second, or you don't know to turn down your volume knob when not playing, there's massive hum and line noise.
    Personal preference and most guys probably would never consider that, but...

11. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I have a tiny board that I built to fit in the back of my Champ clone for easy transport. That will take 3 Boss sized pedals or four mini pedals.

Last set up on that was all mini pedals - compressor, Mooer Green mile OD, Mooer Black secret, then a reverb. I’d be quite happy with that generally. Most of the time I just use a gritty amp setting plus reverb.

But it’s fun to experiment sometimes...

12. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Tuner, Keeley Compressor, TS808 Tube Screamer.

If there is room:

Flint Strymon
    Wah
    Fuzz

In that order.
    Board must have power supply.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  13. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I'm arranging my first board with some pedals I've had forever. So far...
    TS-9
    Chorus
    Analog Delay
    Reverb

I thought about adding an old Cry Baby but decided to pass. Thinking about maybe adding a tuner.

14. ampsplus

ampsplus TDPRI Member

I keep the modded TS10, the Billionaire Leslie pedal and the Spark Drive pedal. That is all I would need.

15. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

To each their own. I play in a cover band and actually use two boards, one for time based effects which I run into my effects loop, and the other board for everything else.
    My small board? Wah, distortion, reverb, chorus and tremolo. I only use it at home.

16. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I could get rid of everything but my Flint

17. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I think it depends a lot on what kinda amp one has and what kind of music one plays.

When I'm playing Classic Country music I can get by with my tele direct to my Twin as it has reverb and enough dirt once you get up to 5 (Volume) to warm the sound. Once I start playing newer Country I start needing some OD, compression, and delay. I guess the newer the music the more effects one will likely need...sort of.

18. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This is my small board, obviously I've omitted almost everything. Still one footswitch too many.

[​IMG]

19. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

I usually try to keep my pedalboards as simple as I can. I mostly use a tuner and two overdrive/distortion pedals and end up with a noise reductor. If the amp that I'm using has built-in reverb then I'll use it, if not I might add a reverb or delay pedal.

Depending on my set list, I may add a flavour of chorus or phaser. Compressor may also be a must have for some songs.

I own a Line6 HX Effects that I can mix with pedals or use it on its own for small gigs.

Here are examples of my typical boards:
    1) An IKEA-based pedalboard that I used for a while:

ikea2.jpg

2) The small Rockboard that I now use for rehearsals. The Plexitone is huge but it's very versatile. I also like to use my Radial Tonebone pedals as they're more compact and still provide with two distorted sounds:
    IMG_3781.jpg

3) My larger pedalboard for larger stages. I know most people want to hide their power units under their board but for larger venues (with usually more stress and less time for sound balance), I want to have everything at sight. In case something doesn't work as expected, I don't want to spend too much time troubleshooting a bad wire or connection:
    IMG_7229.JPG

20. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

smallest board i've done has been an all MXR setup that was: Classic Fuzz/vintage flanger/Carbon Copy. Having recently acquired a Univox outboard delay I could shave the Carbon Copy and be good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.