1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small board, what do you all omit?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Small and only board TU-2 ==> Bad Bob==> Flint. I've tried other options and will replace the Bad Bob with a Liquid Sunshine if amp needs a little more grind. I've tried delay many times but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe I will eventually come around.

2. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Tuner, overdrive and Delay is the minimum. Reverb, Chorus, second gain pedal, Compressor would be the add backs, in that order.

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

Omit nothing, no compromises either.

I just roll in with my Helix.

You're welcome.

4. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I have a few pedalboard with 5-6 pedals and I don't have multiple OD flavors. I like having a tuner, so it's either delay or reverb for me. Gotta have at least one modulation pedal.

5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

As others have stated, it would depend on the amp and what songs are being covered. In general, my amps have reverb, so I don’t need that. I could use the mini pedals mostly and get a couple of drives, a fuzz, a delay and a chorus along with tuner pretty easily. So, I’m thinking Mini Timmy, Red Dirt, and Tumnus drives, Baltic Blue fuzz, Little Copper Chorus, and TC delay. TC mini tuner. OK, that is 7. But they would all fit on a small board. If I were limited to 4 pedals, and no over large stuff, Keeley D&M, Tumnus, Little Copper Chorus and TC delay.

If I’m using a higher gain amp, I could get rid of dirt, and and get to modulation and delay only.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm. Well a Delay pedal can do Reverb well enough.
    The right Univibe takes care of chorus, phaser, flanger, tremelo.

So I'd probably do a couple flavors of OD/Distortion, a delay pedal and then an Earthquaker-D Depths univibe. That would be enough. You could even add a tuner.

(and before anyone says anything. No, a Delay pedal isn't a perfect substitute for reverb. And no, a univibe isn't a perfect sub for any of the other pedals. But each are close enough for me).

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

these are the only things on my pedal board I gave up on everything else

DSCF1171.jpg hqdefault.jpg

8. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

54829DD6-C629-4EA8-8C30-7B922BB46457.jpeg This is what I consider small. I run this into a Blues Jr. I also have a board with a tuner, trem, and reverb. Of course the BJ has reverb so I could get rid of that, but I just love reverbs. I’d rather have several small boards to choose from than one ridiculously large board.

9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Now I have two ovrdrives, a boost, a reverb, and a trem.

First to go would be one overdrive. Then the boost. Then the other overdrive. Then the trem.

The reverb stays.

10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I have a few "close enough" pedals. Its nice when you only need a certain effect for a single song but one pedal can cop a good enough soundalike for a club show or something.

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. jluke711

jluke711 TDPRI Member

1DC1D982-C345-4FD1-B3A4-1815099EFB58.jpeg This is my Little Ole Pedalboard. Admittedly, I’m not an greatly experienced player but this has everything I need (for now). I mostly play the blues so the overdrive is key, but I push it through my 5E3 and its a magnificent combo. I really love the sound of my strat through the 5E3 and a little extra dirt really makes it shine.

The reverb and delay is kind of necessary and I use it occasionally. I’m still learning what to do with it. This Fender Reflecting Pool has a lot of features and I’ve only scratched the surface so far. Being that I play a lot of blues, I only need a little of what this baby can do. I see it as more of a tool for those who play things like new age jazzy fusion stuff... not that i don’t like that type of sound, but, again, mostly blues.

The compressor is mainly for when I’m not using the OD to bump up the response, and the tuner... well, like my first guitar lesson went, “Buy a tuner and use it. Most guitarists spend half their time tuning the guitar and the other half playing out of tune.”

Oh, and the loop... because looping is awesome!! I only wish i could find a looper that i could specifically set the BPM on the drum feature... but that is probably another thread.

Oh, and my Strat and 5E3, just because.
    1A23FCF7-AF88-4AEA-813C-E8C72A4DE33F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  12. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

Actionaly I'm in a process of downsizing, have just sacrified a chorus pedal :)

At the moment I would need only 4, plus a looper for practicing.

Telecasters ====> Boss DS-1 (MIJ) distortion => Boss CS-3 compressor => Maxon AD-9 Pro delay => Polytune 3 mini tuner (buffer ON) => DITTO looper =====> VOX AC10C1

BTW the order of pedals is not what would you expect, but it works very well for me. In a different order some pedals didn't sound that good. I think this 12V ACA version of DS-1 needs to be first with nothing but the guitar before it. The compressor works well even after DS-1, mostly for clean sounds, but with DS-1 engaged it mellows its wall of sound little bit. AD9 and DITTO are true bypass, the tuner sounds good with its buffer ON and that's the reason it's almost at the end of the chain.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    jluke711 likes this.
  13. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

Single drive pedal is enough for me, which I use most days. Wah, fuzz, phaser, and delay for variety. That's the most I use, but not that often.

EDIT
    Just FYI, I use clip-on tuner, so...

14. ksmithdc

ksmithdc TDPRI Member

I have a really small pedalboard. It only has three pedals on it:

1. Wampler Dual Fusion
    2. Sweetsound Mojo Vibe
    3. Boss DD-7

My amp (Vintage Sound 20) has tube driven reverb and tremolo.

If you consider that the Wampler pedal really has two effects built into one box , that's a total of six effects. The Mojo has a toggle to switch between chorus and tremolo. So that's 7 even though they're not foot switchable. And then there's the Boss delay (which has a ton of effects including a looper).

This little rig is actually very versatile.

Kevin

havlma1 likes this.
  15. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

My board holds five.
    At home, typically, tuner-fuzz-comoressor-dirt-reverb.
    For gigs, I lose the fuzz, and add a delay before the verb.
    Although sometimes I just go straight into an amp using a clip-on headstock tuner, but not often.

16. philta

philta TDPRI Member

Recently went small
    Tuner>TS9>Timmy>Carbon Copy>MXR reverb
    Timmy always on
    Perfect

17. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

For me, depends on the amp. Most of mine require pedals for dirt. Even my AC15 head sounds great, but dirt is not really switchable mid-song, unless you use a Y pedal and maybe a boost to equalize volumes.

I’ve been working on a minimalist board. I think the smallest I could get for general use would be:
    Tuner > Super Phat Mod > Carbon Copy. And add a Red Dirt to stack if you have room for 4, and a boost if you have room for 5.

But if I used the Peavey Classic 20 head, it has switchable OD, boost, and reverb, so a no-board setup would be an option. But even then, need the tuner probably for the buffer and mute and to tune silently, and the switchable OD requires a switch pedal...so...

18. BostonTeleGuy

BostonTeleGuy TDPRI Member

Tuner>OD>Trem>Reverb>Delay

19. kilroy6262

kilroy6262 TDPRI Member

LOL, you'd go without a tuner? I've been in bands with guys like you....

20. Teleboss

Teleboss Tele-Meister

Pedaltrain Nano: TC Polytune Mini > Xotic SP > Wampler Tumnus > Tube Screamer Mini > Carbon Copy Mini. CS 6 power supply underneath. My “big board” is a Metro 20: TC Polytune Mini > Keeley Compressor > Morning Glory > Tube Screamer > DM-2W > Carbon Copy. CS 6 power supply underneath. It’s all I need and nothing I don’t.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.