Small board, what do you all omit?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he can tune by ear, or he owns one of those newfangled headstock tuners?

loopfinding and bendercaster like this.
  2. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I guess I could leave off the second delay pedal if I had to.

3. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

Hope you're not soaking your pedals man after a few cold ones! Lol! Keep on pickin!!

Killing Floor likes this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I use a zoom ms-50g for reverb, tuner and eq...as well as a backup in case the amp fizzles. Then a delay and a couple drives can get me there.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I use so few pedals, so infrequently, that I don't even bother with a board. But if I had to ditch anything from my setup to simplify it, it would be overdrive and/or fuzz pedals, and my treble booster and flat booster. Won't give up a tremolo or tuner. I would take my amp with built in channel switching, graphic e.q., and solo boost instead. Channel swtiching replaces the overdrive. Solo boost replaces the flat boost. Graphic e.q. replaces the treble boost.

6. orbit_caster

orbit_caster TDPRI Member

If I had to downsize, I’d keep the Blues Driver, the xotic wah, and the DD-500.

Attached Files:

7. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

2 ODs and delay is all I really need.
    I prefer to have two lower gain ODs to be more flexible, because I can do grit, boost, stack them for higher gain.
    And delay would be good for any situation. From slapback to spacey stuff.

Next would go Tuner, which makes live more easy and Wah, which I can use as some filtering for solo or riff accents, or to mimic some modulation.

Well, basically 90% my board is just a mix of dirt and 2 delays or delay and reverb.

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can make do with no pedals, but prefer a minimum of a pair of something to stack dirt with. Maybe throw in my Electric Mistress, as it can be used either as a chorus or flange/phase device. If I am away from my main amp which has onboard DSP, I would swap the Mistress for a Reverb pedal. All this is on the assumption I am using an amp that features channel switching between drive & clean.

All pedalboards lead to rabbit holes, some deeper than others.

9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing pretty stripped-down lately in a "back patio" jam environment, so even though I use my standard board, here's what I use 90% of the time:

Ponyboy Klone -> OCD -> CH1 Chorus -> DD6 -> 5f1

That gets me where I need to be for most things. Everything else is gravy (but gravy is nice).

10. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I leave off my tremolo...but am considering putting it in place of my chorus. Don't know though...chorus works so well with the long delay swells.

11. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

I have a number of small board configurations I like. But the ultimate in "minimal yet versatile" is just this one pedal. And it sounds glorious in front of any amp I've played it thru.

520D96CD-D902-4189-BA9A-F81EA3FE6626_1_201_a.jpeg

JJAdams1956, Old Plank and gitapik like this.
  12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Enough dirtbox and you don't need a tuner!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    charlie chitlin and Treynor like this.
  13. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Depends on the amp, but I guess the Strymon Volante, a Fuzz and tuner would be enough;)

14. NEED4TWEED

NEED4TWEED TDPRI Member

To answer the OP, there are many but to generalize, some for me are utility pedals like loopers, tuners, A/B, etc and any non-core or subtle FX.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  15. Feral Feline

Feral Feline TDPRI Member

Small relative to size of board, size of pedals, number of pedals... there's a lot of leeway...

Tuner is essential, but it isn't an FX pedal so I'm not including it.

I only need one pedal.

This one:

[​IMG]

I've got PCBs to build myself a pedal like it.
    Mine might wind up being a bit bigger...

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  16. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Never seen that one, before. Checked out some videos. Sweet. Thanks!

Treynor likes this.
  17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking of doing a mini-board just for my Origin to take advantage of the effects loop. All of my other amps have at least built in reverb, most others also have tremolo, and my big board is really focused on gain staging with OD & distortion, and then some late chain delay, chorus and leslie sim pedals.

For the mini-board I'm thinking tuner, mini-volume/wah, compressor, TS type OD, and maybe a delay. Maybe get crazy and swap the delay for a flanger of phaser!! I don't know! I don't know if I'll have enough time!! :lol::lol::lol:

anigif_sub-buzz-10273-1510612473-1.gif

24 track and stormsedge like this.
  18. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

My "small" board has a spin/leslie pedal, but omits tuner, wah, compressor, fuzz, phaser, and chorus that are included on my "large" board.

Edit: On both boards...OD(s), boost, distortion, tremolo, and reverb.

19. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A timely question, as I'm currently fleshing out my first ever board (literally a board, a flipped over cribbage board), a simple wall one-Spot/5 plug extension, keeping it at 5 pedals max and deciding what I need/want from what I already have and what I may buy. First thought was to utilize as many mini, dual effect pedals as possible for maximum # effects types and saving space, but the more I look and listen to options via demo vids, and a lot of things like fuzz/octave combos not really sounding that great, the more inclined I am to just go with what I have; excepting maybe snagging an mxr Vibrato in place of the larger EHX Stereo Pulsar. I use vibrato sparingly but love it in places, and often use a PR (weak vibrato) and AC10 (no vibrato) together. So the final pedal will need to have stereo outs. Also considering the Dunlop mini-wah. Once I decide on the line-up, will drill and zip-tie and see how that goes. But to answer the OP question, pedals I could live without if need be are, a tuner, compression - not a big fan, reverb (all my amps have it), looper, and some modulation types. Ones I want for sure are an OD, echo, fuzz, vibrato. Here's where I sorta am so far ....

IMG_2799 (1).jpg

Blues Twanger likes this.
  20. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

This is my small board. The fuzz and wah don’t fit so they are my “omitted pedals” I don’t use them all that much and run both on 9v batts. They’re 1st in the chain otherwise. I guess if I had a bigger board with a more robust power supply I’d add an Empress Tape Delay on the end of the chain

F1C6A6E1-4898-4ABC-94E2-DBC6FA94CB77.jpeg

Old Plank likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.