small amp search ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SnidelyWhiplash, May 7, 2020.

1. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I've been on the hunt for a small tube amp lately. What I'd like is a grab & go combo. 6v6. 10-15 watts. Reverb and/or tremolo. I know the obvious answer is a Princeton Reverb, but I think the RIs are subpar & there is a SF on another forum for $1650! Not gonna happen. Just was curious if there are any " sleepers " out there to be aware of?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  2. internalprime8

internalprime8 TDPRI Member

Not sure what your price range is but if you don't mind spending a little extra, I highly recommend Milkman. Either the Creamer or HT (Harmonic Tremolo) would meet your needs. I own a Creamer and couldn't be happier with it.

3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Carr Rambler, 6L6 but has a 14 watt mode. Those are fantastic amps.

4. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker TDPRI Member

Supro Comet (14/6w 6L6, 32.5lbs), Supro Saturn MKII (25/15ish w, 6V6, 44lbs). I have and love the Saturn MKII. Described by Supro as their take on the Deluxe Reverb.

5. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Fender SuperChamp XD. 15 watt tube output stage in a light 1x10 combo. Three tweed and three Blackface voices. Great bedroom amp that is “almost” loud enough to gig with a band.

I own two.

Dismalhead and televillian like this.
  6. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

If the OP doesn't want to spend $1650 on a PR, he likely won't spend almost $3k on a MM!

SnidelyWhiplash and nojazzhere like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The real "sleeper" is finding a used Vox Pathfinder 15R. If I didn't tell you it was solid state, you'd never know by listening. I've re-mounted two chassis in a one 12" cab, and another in a four 8" cab. Stock they have one 8" speaker. The catch is....Vox stopped making them a while ago, and they're getting harder to find. I kid you not, owners who have them are not letting them go. When they DO show up, they're still sub $200.......a bargain.

Rowdyman, glenlivet and guspac88 like this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Orange Micro Terror or Dark Micro. You can get a head and small 8" cab for $300.

guspac88 and FrontPU like this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Gries Amps. Dave makes great amps and his prices are very reasonable for the quality he delivers. I recently purchased a Gries 5 Head and it is a fantastic amp.

http://www.griesamps.com/

RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. guspac88

guspac88 Tele-Meister

Just so we can help steer you in the right direction, what do you dislike about the reissues?

11. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And nobody's mentioned Blackstar's offerings?
    While a boutique product may have some cache (esp if you have the cash-eh?) has the OP considered what's available on the mass-market, or identified what is lacking in these commodity goods?

Peace - Deeve

12. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

I've been keeping an eye peeled for a VHT 12/20RT..... most accounts / reviews are pretty favorible.
    Not in production so used is the only option.

televillian likes this.
  13. Twin52

Twin52 TDPRI Member

Carr Skylark, expensive, but you didn’t mention a range. Has an attenuator. Check it out.

Deeve likes this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a tube amp guy, but I recently bought a Boss Katana 50(50-25-1/2) for $250 that's fantastic. 50 effects to choose from.
    The 100watt Artist series is the best one and they go for around $350.

Bluey likes this.
  15. fuzzfaze

fuzzfaze TDPRI Member

Yeah this VHT was my first thought it you can find one. Maybe Allen Amps? Not totally up to date on his catalog but a possibility. Or the Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC15, or 18w Marshall with pedals for reverb or trem. Ultimately up to your specific requirements.

16. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Blackstar Studio 10 6L6 combo. One pre-amp tube and a single-ended tube powerstage, emulated output, effects loop and reverb (though I use my Strymon Flint instead). My only gripe is the footswitchable boost is an all-or-nothing affair and WAY too loud for alternating with the clean.

stormsedge likes this.
  17. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I've got a Vintage Sound 15 (Princeton clone with mid knob) and a Lil Dawg Wonderdawg (Deluxe/super reverb in a Princeton sized cab, no tremelo on this one). Fantastic hand wired amps from two great guys. Both were purchased used and you should be able to find with amp around the $1200 mark on reverb.

Alex W likes this.
  18. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I love my Bogner ATMA. Loud enough for gigs. 18 watt and 3, yes 3 channels. No reverb though, but just get a pedal for that.

19. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

fe_chihuahua.jpg

Alex W and Zepfan like this.
  20. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@SnidelyWhiplash
    Marshall DSL20CR. Great clean channel, good higher gain channel (if you choose to use it), excellent effects loop, 10 watt/half power switch, and a really nice sounding digital reverb. You may want to swap the 12" speaker to taste (I use a 25 watt greenback) and given that its cathode bias, you can swap out the EL34s for 6V6s to get a bit of that Fender style clarity, while still retaining that mid range Marshall growl and the 6V6's drop the wattage by a couple or few. Killer little amp! I'd take it over some of the best Deluxe Reverbs and Princeton Reverbs! It fills the same needs as my Tweed 5E3 Deluxe, but with a few added, modern conveniences. I must say though that they sound their best when fully wound up! I use a great attenuator when needed. The trick is to keep the clean channel gain floored and the dirt channel gain kinda low, like 9:00 to 10:30.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.