1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Small 2mm+ nylon picks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by loopfinding, Oct 15, 2020.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

hey all, wondering about some pick recommendations.

my go to's are dunlop 205's and the red jazz iii's. i can live for now with the fact that i have to use each for different types of music, but they're so close i'm wondering if i can consolidate. i really prefer the 205's to the jazz iii's, but since they're polycarbonate, they make a pretty loud chirp if you're picking down string of the pickup. so i only really use them on the neck, and the jazz iii's for everything else. i like the dunlop little stubbys (2mm, 3mm) as well, but they're even worse with noise than the 205's.

looking for a pick that's 205-ish or jazz iii-ish size, nylon, and at least 2mm thick with rounded edges. i'm always eyeing those nylon big stubby's, but i really wish they'd make them in little stubby size. those ernie ball prodigy 2mm's are not too bad, but they're unnecessarily expensive and don't come in larger packs than 6. i'd like to find something like the 205's or iii's where i can just pick up a pack of 25 for like 20 bucks or less.

any ideas?

2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Have you looked into Chicken Picks?

3. loopfinding

ah not really. i reckon since they're made out of a pretty hard material they might not be the greatest with chirp. that and they're like 15 bucks for 2 of them.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  4. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

5. loopfinding

best solution so far: fender extra heavy 551.

the clickyness is even less than the jazz iii's, and while it feels a bit more flexible, it has a darker tone and glides off the string easier. not as easy as the 205, but i'll take it if i can get rid of the clicks. haven't used a celluloid pick in years, and these are never in any shops. i guess i should have switched sooner!

6. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

I use Dunlop 208, same material as the 205. The only other easily attained picks i prefer are primetone (similar feel and sound qualities to the 205/8 picks). I have some Papa's resin picks that are great...and I decided to buy a Blue Chip large tri-shape pick a couple of years ago. It's a great pick, but definitely not worth $40-. Your Dunlop 205 picks work great, maybe try a primetone if you're looking for an alternative.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.