Slow Down!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Mar 29, 2020.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

For some of us this is hard to do. In these trying times I have noticed that my routines have changed. I am planning things for every day. Let's take one particular subject. Meals/Cooking.

I am planning meals for each day. I made sure I stocked breakfast foods, lunch foods and dinner foods. I made up a menu for each day and have cooked planned meals. Wohhhhhhh! I never did that before! I just realized yesterday it has gotten out of hand because of this food buying thing going on! Because I bought the food now I am obligated to eat it? I'm spending more money on food than I ever did. The freezers are full, fridge is full, cabinets are stocked. Bullcrap.

I need to slow down and get back to my normal. I don't have to cook every night. I can eat peanut butter out of the jar with some crackers. Piece of cheese with a hotdog! I need to calm down and get back to "normal." I cannot let the crap going around denote what I am doing. I'm saving money on gas and laundry but spending more on food. Slow down. Take a deep breath. Eat a snack. Relax. Do something. Doesn't have to be big, just something. Play guitar. Slow down. F*** I hate getting caught up in stuff. I walk my own walk and I will not be pushed and shoved into doing stoopid stuff.

See how easy it is to get ramrodded into the wrong program? Rant over. :) Have a nice day!

Jlwctn, GreatDaneRock, tery and 5 others like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

good one... do just that... take 10 days and don't buy anything and just eat down your stores as you need them...

we plan one meal a day and coffee in the am... don't need a store for awhile...

3. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We missed the boat with eggs and milk. I have purchased powdered milk but haven't used it. Beer is another issue.

dented and getbent like this.
  4. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

This is the way it goes:

Jlwctn, puddin, nojazzhere and 5 others like this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

We try to support he places where we normally go out to eat
    Most of them offer take-away to keep the train rolling.

6. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Meal planning and preparation are an essential part of my life, which is coming in pretty handy right now. We're pretty well stocked with meats and veggies, and I need low carb and low salt meals so it's best when I just cook at home. Of course, I love to cook.

dented and getbent like this.
  7. getbent

we have a neighbor for eggs.. she has way too many and is thrilled that we take some...

Milk, you know, can be frozen... if you buy it in plastic or paper jugs... it is bulky, but if you have room... buy two, freeze one... we don't drink milk anymore, but half and half for coffee... and a little milk for baking etc... powdered is rough.. bad memories from childhood!

I have a few cans of evaporated milk... we are all eyeing it in weird ways... thinking of some kind of ice cream or something... I think I have a bag of salt around back...

nojazzhere and dented like this.
  8. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Slowing down has been maybe my only ambition for a long time. Since I retired, I've been able to get some good practice in. IMO this is a great opportunity for folks whose lives are normally too busy to go ahead and settle into the circumstances and enjoy the slower pace as much as possible. It's good for you.

daddyplaysbass, nojazzhere and dented like this.
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

No panic purchasing, nor overstocking was available here- the vultures got out early, to the shops. :rolleyes:

You'll almost certainly find there are no shortages of food where you live and the shelves will fill up again- albeit with some form of rationing, to put a brake on the crazies and profiteers. More of a concern will be if we all over-eat, at a time of reduced mobility and extra enforced time near to the kitchen. The food you have in the house now, will probably keep you in calories until June or July, with a few minor supplements. As you've determined, there is no need to over-think the menu, just find stuff to do, around the house and observe the health and hygiene precautions the medics recommend.

I just made soup, with some leftovers and fresh croutons, topped off with cheese and served with a salad. Easy, cheap, nutritious. Now, whose turn is it, to do the dishes? :)

Obsessed and notmyusualuserid like this.
  10. dented

I'm exhausted. I've been doing the "Couch to Kitchen 5K."

11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I deliberately ate a lot of fresh green vegetables of late, to get my immune system fully charged for any fight it has. Trying to rest up a little as well, on same principle

Preparing fresh nutritious food doesn't feel like any burden to me

dented likes this.
  12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Reminds me that I never knew what proper coffee was, until I started hanging out with a guy whose Mother was German, when I was in high school. She always served filtered coffee (cone and paper)with the option of evaporated milk, as well as awesome cakes and pastries.

If I drank coffee like this all day now, I'd put on 40 pounds every year. Or more.:)

Obsessed, getbent and dented like this.
  13. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Me and Mrs. Dread are empty-nesters now but usually there are kids (5) and grandkids (11) to eat whatever is available. Since they aren't currently coming over to our house, seeing as we are in the high-risk category, I am having to cook for two, and/or freeze some stuff.

In the past week I made a big cauldron (8 Qt) full of chili and another full of chicken vegetable soup. I was able to freeze two meals of each for easy reference later.

Cooking for two is kinda fun too. And I'm eating healthier than ever before.

Flaneur and dented like this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

man, you are SO out of touch with milk! You can buy milk that has been treated with ultra-high temperature pasteurization so that it stays good in the pantry with no refrigeration for 8 months or more. UHT (ultra-high temperature) milk. Freezing milk? you're crazy, gb!

getbent likes this.
  15. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

why is everybody so concerned all the sudden about cooking and preparing meals? The only problem we have over here is that everybody has decided they are gonna bake their way out of the crisis - there is not a bag of flour to be found anywhere.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Same here, surreal experience sitting in a partly lit rather cold restaurant at an un laid table with about six others, each a table away from the next. Gotta support these guys, we’ll want them when this is over, sooner rather than later we all hope.

dented likes this.
  17. dented

Maybe where you are at. But over here those cows are staying home and not going to work! :rolleyes:

jhundt likes this.
  18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I haven't done any actual grocery shopping in over a month. My job has me in a supermarket five days a week, and I'm allowed to do any shopping that I need before they open to the public. What I have been doing is picking up things only as needed, with no stockpiling whatsoever. Couple things here, couple things there, and this approach has been working just fine for me.

dented likes this.
  19. getbent

I am most definitely 'not right'

I need to know more about this fancy milk... my idea of fancy milk is Rosa Bros!

20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

But UHT (Ultra Heat Treatment, to be persnickety:eek::twisted:) milk tastes like crap. IMHO, YMMV, ...

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.