1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Slotted nut question.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by the_best_of_fools, Sep 20, 2009.

1. the_best_of_fools

the_best_of_fools Tele-Meister

Hi,

Does anyone know if a 1-11/16" slotted nut as the same string spacing as a 1-5/8" nut? I want to order a neck with no nut installed and install myself a pre-slotted nut but I can only find 1-11/16" pre-slotted nuts.

Thanks,
    tbof

2. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Most nuts are slotted with the E and e strings relative to the edges of the neck at the nut. So I would say they are slotted differently - but that's just a guess.

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

What Nick said. Most nuts are slotted by choosing a minimum distance from the edge of each e string (say 1/8"), and then dividing up the distance in the middle between those two for the rest of the strings, either equadistance from each other or with some compensation for string diameter. What you'll end up with is a guitar with the outside strings (both e and E strings) closer to the edge of the fretboard at the nut than normal. Whether or not you can live with that is going to be determined by your playing style, how much bevel is on the ends of your frets, etc.

4. Rob52

Rob52 Tele-Holic

Tusq nuts used to be available for both widths and hopefully still are, their packaging allways included the specs on string spacing, so you can check. Find somewhere that sells them and read what the packet says, or try the Tusq website for info.

5. the_best_of_fools

the_best_of_fools Tele-Meister

Great. Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure because I know that an R2 locking nut for a Floyd Rose (1-5/8" width) has the same string spacing as an R3 locking nut (1-11/16" width). The R3 nut is used for necks with binding, and the R2 nut is for necks with no binding.

This will be my first Tele I'm building and I am learning a lot in the process.

Thanks for the links too. :D

tbof

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.