1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Slot head screw set doesnt fit.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SixgunElectric, Jan 16, 2021.

1. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

I hope this is the correct section for posting this...

Eh, I recently purchased feom Ebay, what was advertised as a:
    "Callaham slot head stainless steel screw kit for Telecaster"

However, none of the screws fit the guitar i hoped to install them in.
    Not the neck bolt screws, pickup mounting screws...none if them have the same thread size.
    The threads are obviously larger than the guitar's OEM screws.

ALSO...
    The slot head set's intonation screws do NOT fit the Gotoh InTune compensated saddles.
    Is that common?

Now, the question i have is....
    Did i get, uh...screwed...on the purchase?
    OR
    Is the set i purchased normal and the guitar just contain non-standard size screws?
    The issue of the slot heads threads not matching the Gotoh in tune saddles has me really wondering...

The guitar in question is a 90's MIJ Fernandes TE-1, tele copy.

Anyone?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

It’s likely a metric vs “US traditional units” mismatch.
    But why would you want to? Slot head screws are an engineering abomination which have no place in the modern world. Unless you like having a screw design which encourages the driver to cam out so that you scratch your guitar...

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Quite simply, your Japanese Fernandes is not an American Fender. Metric fittings not imperial.

4. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Many many years back my girl and I were out estate shopping and came into a cul-de-sac with a beautiful house that was owned by what the lady running the sale said was the recently passed away Head maintenance man for Knotts Berry farm which was a couple/few miles away. It had pretty much been picked clean but people Had passed up his organizers from what I could tell used to be a very cool workshop, along with some made in Germany coping and back saws, a set of high-grade lath turning tools I picked up for my buddy who makes pens and bowls, A couple Jorgensen’s and odd good grade handtools I found in a overlooked drawer, and his entire set of pocket knives or at least about 12 of them which I figured was all of them that were in a drawer upstairs in the bedroom. All of the screws that were in the organizers were slot head. I mentioned in passing that you don’t see them very often and the sales lady said oh he was very particular about fasteners and pre-drilling and all that. I guess there was a lot of old signage that was already bought with only one very large left behind that we passed on as it was very large, and sort of plain, and we were in a two seater.

I pre/stepped up drilled a body and used some of the slot heads all around, They were a sort of brushed aluminum nickel looking screw, and they looked really sharp I thought. I’m bummed I don’t have any pictures and I sold that guitar. Maybe I have some pictures in an old camera, if I do I’ll publish them. I still have every one of the pocket knives and do use them as daily drivers.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

This is normal, because there are no standards in the guitar industry for screw size and thread pitch for wood screws and machine screws--even within a single manufacturer's product line.

This is something guitar techs and repair persons have been aware of for many years, but it's always a thorn in the paws of players like you that are just getting into upgrades and mods. It's one of the unfortunate growing pains associated with this stuff.

A very common example of this issue is pickguards: the vendor will promise that it fits your specific guitar, and it certainly will--after you do some fitting and handwork, along with having to move a few screw holes in the body.

Unless you're prepared to spend more time and money to make those screws work on your guitar, send them back for a refund and consider getting the hardware from another supplier. I don't have that specific model guitar, so I cannot tell you what the specs for the screws are. However, you can go find a Fernandes group online and ask. I'm sure you're not the only Fernandes owner that has wanted to do this, and some of the folks there can probably point you to the specs.

Another option is to get a digital caliper and a thread pitch gauge and spec the original screws yourself. You measure the diameter of the threaded portion and the number of threads per milimeter/inch, as well as the length of the screw, the size and shape of the screw head, and the material/plating/finish of the screw.

With that info you can go to a supplier like McMaster-Carr or Small Parts and get the exact screws you need.

Look here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DKKCVB1/?

And:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J9V9JTK/

NOTE: the snowflakes in the reviews for this gauge, whimpering about "Oh, the tiny numbers on this gauge are so small! I can't read it!" make me laugh out loud, because how are they going to see threads on a screw? Igjits expecting to be spoon fed, I guess. You need magnification to work with precision parts and tools like these.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    bender66 likes this.
  6. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Ahthankya!

Appreciate the info and links.

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.