1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Slipping Tuners?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bendercaster, Jan 20, 2021.

1. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I get what you are saying, but in this case it isn't from too many windings. I string it, and all my fender style guitars, the way fender suggests. In 25 plus years of stringing up Fender style guitars, I've never had a problem like this.

2. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

If you think the tuner could be problematic for any reason and you got $50, there’s plenty of solid options to replace them. Sometimes parts get old and wear out. With a new nut on the way and the bridge replaced plus all of your knowledge and techniques seem sound why not just get new tuners and worry no more.
    If money is tight you can always take them off, clean them, look them over and replace anything you don’t feel good about.

bendercaster likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Maybe swap it to the high E string and see how it behaves up there with less tension ?

bendercaster likes this.
  4. cfreddy813

cfreddy813 TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Take it to a pro for eval, not at Guitar Center or Sam Ash. Someone who's also a builder. Good luck!

5. bendercaster

I took a closer look at the tuners last night and tightened up the screws on top of the buttons. I noticeed on a few of these tuners the black spot/screw? Was protruding from the bottom of the tuner. Tightening the screw on top pulled what ever that is back in. IMG_20210122_092710416.jpg IMG_20210122_092652056.jpg

6. bendercaster

The tuners don't have as play in them now when I tune up. A couple of strings go way out of tune with heavy trem use, but the are sharp now. I have a new nut on the way. I may try going back to 9s too and go through the video Peegoo posted when setting it up again.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

See ?

I'm stunned at how much stuff is being discarded all the time as junk, when all it needs is to be looked after, taken care of, adjusted and most of the time it will go on performing flawlessly for many years to come. That Strat is 10 years old, it's been played for maybe over 3500 days. Why would it decide for no reason to fail now ?

bendercaster likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Tuners don't slip The gears have at least a 14 to 1 ratio that keeps them from slipping under string tension while playing. It's physics at work. Even sloppy tuners with lots of lash in the gears don't slip, because of the ratio. 14 to 1 is used as a standard ratio because it doesn't slip.

bgmacaw and bendercaster like this.
  9. bendercaster

Well, it's 20 years old, but I'm with you. I hate to replace something if it doesn't need it. The trem was damaged and the nut has seen better days, but from what I can see and what everyone has said, the tuners aren't the problem. Thanks guys.

DrBGood likes this.
  10. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

For a tuner to actually "slip" or rotate enough to go out of tune, it would have to be awfully loose and there would have to be some very serious tension on the string.

But, every geared mechanism has some inherent "play" between the gears.

That's why we always tune "up" to pitch. Doing so, takes that "play" between the gears, or slack, out of the tuner.

But, the tuner is just a part of the whole string system. Proper string wrap and freely operating nut and saddles come into play. If you have a tremelo feature, it adds another potential for tuning problems.

The strings themselves need a proper stretching too, when you put a new set on. I saw a Joe Walsh video one time where he shows a great way to stretch them in. I think it was part of a set-up demonstration.

You can tell pretty easy if it really is the tuner that's slipping.

To satisfy your curiosity, just mark it with a small piece of tape so you can observe any change :).

11. bendercaster

I got the new nut today and got that installed successfully. When I had the guitar apart, I noticed that the knife edge had developed some burrs, despite it being nearly brand new. I suppose that is bound to happen when you have metal on metal. I got that smooth again, lubed it with some dry teflon, discovered the G tuner nut was a little loose, tightened that, put some slinky 10s on it (I had been using D'Addario), stretched the crap out of the strings, and it's staying in tune! Thank you for all the expertise friends! I'm happy to have a Strat that doesn't randomly go out of tune or bind up anymore.

12. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just a few thoughts. It sounds to me exactly like the string windings are loose on the peg. As others mentioned, the slack in there can release at some random time if there are too many turns. It's good to ensure they are self-locked on there with the free end looped under the string where it enters the peg. Plus I always hold tension on the string when winding the first time, ensuring the wraps are beside, not on top of each other. Then I stretch the strings - guitar flat on the bench or my lap, two hands pulling/pushing each string in a big 'S' curve back and forth, retune, repeat until stable.

A few years back I switched all my guitars over to locking tuners - much less hassle and time spent. A Fender staggered set is $50. Pretty good deal, I think. (Same steps, as above, but just pull the string tight thorough the peg, lock it, perhaps yank it around the peg once to get a right angle bend at the exit side, initial tune up (about half a wind), stretch, retune, cut the ends, done.)

13. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you found the culprit and fixed it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.