1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Slightly lower output replacement for stock ceramics in MIM Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by nashsed, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

The Broadcaster/Twisted Tele set, as in a 50s Baja, are pretty good. The bridge pickup seems less shrill to me but still cuts thru well.

2. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

If it has no Cobalt why is it called AlNiCo?

aluminium (Al), nickel (Ni) and cobalt (Co)

MrYeats likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I second Cavalier.

4. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

Neither me nor a lot of other people don't know the answer to that...I guess AlNi just doesn't sound right.

From an article on Alnico magnets:

Here are the most commonly used AlNiCo blends in order of magnetic strength:
    1. alnico VIII
    2. alnico V
    3. alnico II
    4. alnico III (which actually has no cobalt and should be named AlNi III)
    5. alnico IV

savofenno likes this.
  5. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Are you sure standard pickups are ceramics? I believe they swapped to alnicos in 2016 or 2017, can be wrong with that.
    Ceramics in a Fender feels strange when CV Squiers have alnicos and some VM`s too. I see no point with that.

I think Broadcasters are great pickups.

nashsed likes this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Scour Ebay and similar for a set of Classic Vibe pickups. Snobbery means a fair few folk have replaced them with brand name items, only to discover just how fine the stock CV pickups truly are.
    I unremember which way round they are. Some models had AlNiCo III, some V. Either set is a delight to the ears, and they respond so wonderfully to picking changes and the guitar controls, you'll be enthralled. Just write 'SeeMore Dunkin'' in sharpie on them for the name mojo and you're good to go.

It's also worth re-evaluating your pedal and amp settings. You may need to tweak the controls more than you'd think to get into your tonal pocket.

nashsed likes this.
  7. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Hahahaha!! Yeah I get what you're saying.

So far I have resisted the urge to change the pickups and as suggested have been tweaking my settings.

Also, I think I use the volume and tone knob on a Tele more than I have on any other guitar and it makes a huge difference. Who knew?!? :p

8. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yeah... humbuckers suddenly seem quite muddy when you get to comparing them to clean, articulate, detailed single coil pickups.

Teles have brought me to very much prefer the brighter, more detailed tones that Fender-style single-coil pickups offer. Gretsch and TV Jones Hilo'trons and T-Armonds are awesome, also. The only "humbucking" pickups that I can enjoy now are Gretsch-style Filter'trons, with relatively high resistance (500k to 900k, depending on the tonal qualities of the individual guitar.)

You may need to cycle through a few sets of pickups before your Tele lands on that tonal place which is magic to your ears. Just remember that you need to work with volume pot resistance, tone pot resistance, AND pickups to fine tune the tone to your taste.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.