Slightly baffled by Eric Johnson

Winky

Tele-Meister
I've been listening to some of his stuff, and enjoy quite a bit of it, but I find he spans across a wide range (too wide?) of styles, even on a single record. It swings from blues to pop to folk to new-age. I find it a bit disconcerting. He's obviously a great player, but I kind of wish he'd settle down a bit in terms of styles. Any comments or suggestions?

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
His live shows are fantastic for that very reason. He will finish a Hendrix tune and follow it with a Jerry Reed, Wes Montgomery, Dylan, Monkees tune and kill at all of them. If he played blooze all night it be tough to watch. It is literally one of the things that made him popular. The first time I saw him (79’) he played Cream, Jeff Beck, Speedy West, Supremes and Ventures among his originals of the time.

Just noticed the Dumble Steel String Singer behind him in this clip. It’s a seminar.

Last edited:

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Eric Johnson has been in my top 5 guitarists for more years than I can remember. Very few guitarists can master most all electric and acoustic guitar styles as well as being a great pianist on the side. I read an interview he did a number of years back on how he comes up with some of his signature chord shapes and string skipping patterns. He comes up with many of his ideas on the piano and then works to transfer them to the guitar. Piano music is not guitar friendly, yet, he pulls it off. He's a freakin' musical genius. I own every recording he's ever made and, while I'm not really into certain styles, I'll listen to Eric play them just as a counterpoint to everything else he does. Speed equal to Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani or Steve Vai. Technique equal to Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Guthrie Govan, Kenny Burrell, Bill Frisell. Tone equal to or better than Gary Moore, David Gilmour or Carlos Santana. Also ..... My wife and I have met Eric on a couple of occasions and he's one of the most polite down to earth folk we've ever met. When all the instruments are put away he's just a plain old super friendly guy you'd love to have as a neighbor.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I've been listening to some of his stuff, and enjoy quite a bit of it, but I find he spans across a wide range (too wide?) of styles, even on a single record. It swings from blues to pop to folk to new-age. I find it a bit disconcerting. He's obviously a great player, but I kind of wish he'd settle down a bit in terms of styles. Any comments or suggestions?
what
ChicknPickn
said

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
If you'd like to dial into the core of his 'signature' vibe, make sure you have your chord theory pretty well in hand, and then work on playing through spread triads for the chords of the tune you're working on.

This--besides his fluid speed--is the foundation upon which he builds his single-note lead work.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I first saw Eric in 1974, at the Armadillo World Headquarters.
I met him at my music store job (Picker’s Paradise) in 1975, and took a summer’s worth of lessons from him.
I was 18, Eric was 21.
For me, it was a life changing experience.
Eric has always been incredibly versatile.
He plays all kinds of styles.
He taught me his great country instrumental Dusty, and a lot of extremely useful chord theory.
He was, unsurprisingly, a fantastic teacher.
Eric is a singular musician, and is still my favorite.

Last edited:

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I first saw Eric in 1974, at the Armadillo World Headquarters.
I met him at my music store job (Picker’s Paradise) in 1975, and took a summer’s worth of lessons from him.
I was 18, Eric was 21.
For me, it was a life changing experience.
Eric has always been incredibly versatile.
He plays all kinds of styles.
He taught me his great country instrumental Dusty, and a lot of extremely useful chord theory.
He was, unsurprisingly, a fantastic teacher.
Eric is a singular musician, and still makes favorite.
Shame the Armadillo is gone, I saw many greats there in the '70's.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
When his Tones album hit town, our local music community did a collective double take. We were stunned. Like when Jimi exploded on the scene. The hot players tried to play Zap, Trademark etc. I just wanted to play Emerald Eyes, EastWes and 40 Mile Town. Saw him twice locally. Amazing talent.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Eric, like many of us, grew up with The Beatles and other bands of that era. If you listen to many LP's of that time, they would have a wide variety of genres, from ballads to rock to show tunes. Personally, I get weary of bands who record albums where every song sounds like the last one....and every RECORD released sounds like the previous one. To paraphrase Gordon Gecko, "Variety....for lack of a better term.....is good".

unfamous

Tele-Holic

So you like the guys who play the same style of material over and over for years? Maybe as an artist different styles appeal to him. I don't think it would be wise for him to truncate his interests just so you can be happier or at least, less bothered.

unfamous

Tele-Holic