Slight return of the Dark Clouds o' Madness (mix content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Jan 21, 2013.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Thanks, Tony!

With fresh morning ears, I managed to ID the noise culprit at 1:34-137, and it's definitely the lead guitar track. It's against my religion to go back and and retrack after a mix has jelled, but may have no choice — now that I've heard it, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and I really don't want suckage on this cut.

Hope no news is good news on the organ — no comments on it, so maybe it's sitting OK now.

2. woodman

Rooted out all instances of amp buzz I could find and replaced a few bars here and there.

Dark Clouds mix3a

3. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Wow Wood, sounds like you were bound and determined to root out the buzz!

The buzz is gone from the beginning of the song now. I still hear some on about the upbeat of 4 in bar 29, but it is much more quiet now and fades before start of bar 30 (in the earlier versions it continued through beat 2 of bar 30).

I can still hear the very low volume buzz in beats 3 through 4 in bar 52.. but, it was never as loud and noticeable as the beginning and bars 29-30.

I didn't mention this before because it's really nit-picky: there is a very short "pop" on beat 2 of bar 4 (right where you sing "on"). The snare disguises it a bit. Maybe there is some flex time there?

4. woodman

Man, once you get the scent, you stay on the hunt, don'tcha! :D

The pop was actually an ugly snag in the vocal waveform, which I fixed with the pencil tool.

That's the part I punched in — made sure my hand was grounded on the bridge at all times, so it doesn't have the ugly snarl of the ungrounded strings that was on the previous part. Whatever's there now is no doubt from the dirty power in the room, which I can't do much about til I can afford to get an electrician out here to run a grounded line from the box.

Any thoughts on the rookie organ part, Kev?

5. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The instrumental track sounds great! Everything sits really nicely.
    IMO the lead vocal is a little hot (spoken part is fine).

6. woodman

Appreciate it, Ken ... I think as I pulled the instrumental tracks back to make room for the organ, I hung the vocal out to dry!

7. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, pull the vocal down 1-2db (at most) to get it sitting better in the mix-just a skosh :D

Franc Robert

8. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Woodman - Just have to say, again, what a great song, arrangement and mix this is. Has been running through my brain in an endless loop for the past few days now. Hasn't driven me crazy yet, either! Looking forward to the next mix.

9. woodman

Thanks, T-ray — maybe that's because dark clouds of madness permeate so many levels of our culture far beyond veterans' issues!

Taking the lead vocal down about -1.2 dB seemed to tuck it into mix. Hopefully this is the final mix (at least for now). Much appreciation to all who contributed.

Dark Clouds mix4

10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounding good to me!

Cheers,
    Geoff

11. woodman

A few tiny tweaks (most notably smoothing out the organ on the second half of the Beatles gimmick) and I'm calling it a mix for now. Here's the final (earlier mixes have been taken down):

Dark Clouds of Madness

12. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah man. Sounds really good.

*Just as a note regarding the subject matter ...
    Due to my age I was too young for Vietnam and too old for Desert Storm. My Grandpa, my Dad and closest Uncle all served though - WWII and Korea. I also have several friends and acquaintances that 'signed up' after high school or college. Most did do service in one local or another. A couple of career guys have just finished up in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the 80's I had a guitar student who had severe PTSD and possibly some affliction due to Agent Orange(?). He used to scare the hell out of me sometimes in his lessons - he was really on edge. I liked him though. One day his wife calls and says he won't coming to any more lessons because well, you know. RIP Randall. My point being - I 'get it' (as much as I'm able to) when I hear songs like this and read the tales.
    Thanks for making the music, thanks for doing whatever you had to do over there and thanks for coming back alive.

Peace, - KL

13. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Hey Woody. In limbo at the minute (in between houses) so have a temporary set up with headphones. Well I have to say had a listen his morning on the cans and am really impressed. I think the mix is fantastic. Everything is sitting nicely and the seperation is great. The organ now sits nicely and I felt the level of he vocal was just right for the song. By the way, give yourself a pat on the back for the keyboard work.

14. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Great mix - your vocals sound magnificent Woodman-thats you I take it.Huge and warm.

The song is very moving - great storytelling...

15. woodman

Ken, you always do, no matter what the subject matter. :cool:

Aw shucks! Glad you dug it, Pete, and hoping your transition goes smoothly and you end up happy with yer new life.

Thanx, SP ... this was a hard song to write, but I was better off by getting it out of my system. I had PTSD issues my own self, trying to move on.

16. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

As I get older Im starting to realise that the best/ most important stories are usually the hardest to tell.. Music can say alot with a great groove, a few hooks or riffs or even just a great chorus... but a single voice with the right words defies the language that it uses... Johnny Cash.. Woody Guthrie.music with difficult subject matter ...Billy Holiday could make a trite standard say something else entirely! You know what I mean. Keep doing it!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.