Slight Buyer's Remorse - DRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cleanjunkie, Feb 19, 2019.

1. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Weber Mass 50.

If you run it full out then yes tubes will wear faster, just like playing full out without it.

2. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Jim Campilongo just dimes his Princeton Reverb and controls volume with his guitar volume knob. Amazing tone. He is an unbelievable musician, I've had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times too and he is an absolute gentleman. I want a Princeton just cuz he has one!

3. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

For my home playing, either one is too loud to really dial in to "the zone." I wonder if the 68 Princeton RI is a little more geared to home use than the 65?

4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love my prri run through a 2x12 cab. it sounds great to me at each volume point, but at home I almost always play clean. clean has come tobe the most desired sound for me, the normal thing, whereas most players are seeking that "edge of breakup". I'm always seeking "sweet and detailed". a drri would work fine here at home for me, too, cause I don't need it to be loud at all. BUT, if I was gigging with a drummer, or thought I would be, and it's my only amp, i'd do the deluxe.

the drri is a great amp, it'll do about whatever you need and you shouldn't have regrets over it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  5. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

I have this same amp and run it with a Weber Mini Mass 50 attenuator to knock off a few dB. For my money, best tone for my 335, Les Paul, Strat and of course Tele, they all sound great.

GGardner likes this.
  6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah they sound great. I just bought a Badcat Unleash so I can have a 50 watt Princeton. Can’t wait to get that on the gig.....

TheMindful likes this.
  7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Take a deep breath. Exhale. Repeat.

You did good.

You are experiencing, "post purchase cognitive dissonance". That's normal with more expensive purchases

Your screen name is "cleanjunkie".

The Deluxe Reverb is a great and classic clean tone.

So is the Fender Twin, but to get the warmest tones, it needs to be extremely loud.

The Princeton Reverb is another great amp, but to keep up with most drummers, it will need to be cranked up into natural overdrive territory. You willbend up sacrificing those clean tones just to be heard.

From everything you said, I think you made the right choice.

The Deluxe Reverb is what you want.

In fact, you probably want a Princeton as well, and you wouldn't mind having a Twin either...

Maybe someday you will have all of them.

But if you can only afford one, the Deluxe Reverb is the best value for your money.

Plug it in. Play it. Enjoy it.

You made the right choice.

Now stop obsessing over gear and go play guitar!

Milspec, imwjl, gridlock and 3 others like this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

What Jay said!

First: congrats! The Deluxe Reverb is considered by many (including me) to be one of the best amps ever made.

"Hitting the sweet spot" at home, without infuriating the neighbors, is very difficult with a Deluxe or Princeton. Living in an apartment, I can't even crank my tweed champ (let alone my 30W '64 Tremolux - a cousin to your DRRI).

So at home, be content of having your amp slightly cooking (say, 3 on the dial) and bask in those cleans, trem and reverb.... When you'll play out, then you may start wondering about the sweet spot. You can always book a studio for experimenting and if you do, be sure to wear ear protection!

For dirt, try pedals but be careful (a) to get pedals that go well with blackface amps (Timmys are not famous for this); (b) to avoid (for home use) pedals that require your amp to be "at the sweet spot" to work as intended (e.g. the Tube Screamer).

I wish you lots of satisfaction with your nice amp!

Edit: I missed your reference to the OCD. So you have a great dirt pedal too! You're all set to go! ;)

cleanjunkie likes this.
  9. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I have both the drri and a 68 Princeton custom. At home I use a ts9 for dirt. Like others said hitting the sweet spot at home is always difficult. If I had just 1 amp it would be the drri. Mine has the p12q which is a less efficient speaker, meaning it breaks up earlier. Great since I don’t gig anymore. If I need to use it for a gig I will just throw in a c12k or something similar.

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

You made a great sensible choice; for a good snapshot at classic Fender cleans.

Thant being said; please dig that Even a 1-watt amp - is too much for home use (100db)

Even a Half-watt amp; is too much for home use (97db)

There is no tube amp that will reach a sweet spot; until cranked to around 4

But even at low volume; the bf circuit is great. Enjoy the amp

tlsmack, Ricky D. and RadioFM74 like this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

The Princeton is not a solution for "in-home volume"... neither amp can be opened up to full potential without disturbing everyone else in the home.

That said, both amps are classics for a reason. You can't go wrong with either. Personally, I prefer the Deluxe - but that doesn't mean anything ;)

gridlock and RadioFM74 like this.
  12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a DRRI into which I have an Eminence Maverick speaker which has a sort of attenuator built into the magnet. It actually works well. You are essentially changing the efficiency when you make the adjustment down to -8db. It doesn’t sound like much, but it makes a difference between blasting the place out and just being a little loud. It also has a nice voice. Not quite as sparkly as the stock Jensen, but definitely sounds like a DRRI, which works for me.

13. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

To OP;

Been there man. I wound up with one of those limited edition PRRI's with a 12" speaker.

Surprising amount of low end on tap if you want it. I've been able to keep up with a drummer and bass player. It'll stay reasonably clean up to about 6 on the volume. If you ride the guitar volume just right. But will easily get crunchy if you start to play aggressively. Thats easily 100db+.

GGardner likes this.
  14. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

It ended my search for a solid state drive pedal, and I've had a ton of them, including the OCD. Timmy was the first one that allowed me to dial off the bass and treble cuts that are normally built in to such pedals, to get an actual transparent drive. I leave them both almost at zero. It's a great little pedal. And it's the middle clipping toggle position for me, always.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

While I was saving up for a '68 CDR, I came across an open box deal ($160), on Boss Katana 50. I found that the power scaling works great, at home volume levels. Plus, it has paid for itself with the built-in effects. I have since sold two small tube amps, without any effects. But I admit, I still have a nice large tube amp.

16. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Great info here comparing the PR to the DR. Both great but fairly different BF voices, both can be loud-ish but with the DR 12" fuller and louder at max.

If you want loud cleans or play out, the DR probably wins, and if you want sweeter, more approachable dirt at home, the PR probably wins.

One thing to cheer you up: The vintage PR and DR are both considered near-perfect, but in the reissue series, the DRRI seems to get more total love than the PRRI. Although many folks love their PRRIs, the amp does seem to have more detractors (about mostly the speaker?) than the DRRI.

Side note: Seems like no one *except* Jim Campilongo can dime both the tone and volume controls on a PR. I've read his amp has some subtle mods and he runs very-low-output pickups.

cleanjunkie likes this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You have a bona fide classic amp. If you're looking for that classic Fender blackface clean tone and you don't like the DRRI, then you don't really want Fender blackface clean tone.

cleanjunkie likes this.
  18. cleanjunkie

cleanjunkie TDPRI Member

Chuckled at this--nailed it with the post-purchase cognitive dissonance. Played for 4-5 hours straight after work last night--definitely happy with my purchase :)

JayFreddy and sonicsmitty like this.
  19. cleanjunkie

cleanjunkie TDPRI Member

Really appreciate everyone's feedback here. I'm over the hump of the post-purchase uneasiness, and in the territory of digging into my playing to make this thing really sing. Realizing that if I want a tube amp that I can crank at home or in the studio, I'm shopping for two completely different things.

I work for a property management company, and one of our buildings currently has a vacant warehouse so I'm going to spend some time this weekend breaking in the speaker and movin' some air :) :cool:

Ordered a Weber Mass 50 for the Deluxe, and for if I find a used Blues Junior sometime in the future to run it hard (and have fun modding it when I have the money).

My 20-watt SS amp has a cabsim, so I'll keep resorting to that with headphones if I need to play incognito.

Thanks again!
    Ted

JayFreddy and imwjl like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.