Slight Buyer's Remorse - DRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cleanjunkie, Feb 19, 2019.

1. cleanjunkie

cleanjunkie TDPRI Member

I've been in the market for my first tube amp for the past couple weeks. Searching for that classic fender clean tone--one that's spanky and bright, yet also able to warm up nicely. Primary usage right now is in my bedroom, but I'm planning to be moving to my own house here shortly where I'll be making one of the rooms a rehearsal area/studio. I want the ability to have enough clean headroom to gig with the amp eventually, but that's a little ways out.

Last week I picked up a Blues Deluxe from GC, really liked the tone it put out but quickly realized it was WAY too much wattage/power for what I need. Returned it and upgraded to the '65 DRRI yesterday which I know is still too much volume for bedroom usage, but since the BF Princeton and DRRI were the same price I decided on the Deluxe since I'd eventually strive for it.

I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance that I made a good choice. Am I missing out on a 'sweet spot' with the DRRI at in-home volume that I'd otherwise get with the Princeton? I'm happy with using my Fulltone OCD for crunch at reasonable volumes.

GC has the 45-day return policy, so I'm not locked into the DRRI. I'm thrilled about it, but I'm not sure if this feeling that the '65 BF Princeton was the better choice is valid or if I'd be feeling the same way had I gone the other direction.

edit: I play my strat majority of the time, but I also have a LP copy with beautiful Seymour Duncans when I want some humbucker in my life.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

If you're absolutely sure you won't be playing anywhere but in your home, a PR could be a better choice. But the DRRI has the guts that the Princeton won't if you are going to play live with a drummer. What you may be losing in a pure 'sweet spot' you are making up in versatility with the DR. And you can always find effects that can emulate that sweet spot at a lower bedroom volume. My two cents.

3. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I like the Timmy for said spot.

timmy.JPG

4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

If what you mean by sweet spot is clean at the edge of break up DR's do that quite nicely at relatively low volume levels. On the other hand much like my Twin without pedals they are a single voiced amp and that's what you get. My two cents is that for both home and venue use consider a Katana. Almost infinite tonal versatility at any volume, they actually do sound exactly like a tube amp, works for gigs as well and you'll save yourself a ton of money.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Chicago Slim likes this.
  5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

They are both BF in voice, but the voices are different, so it's not just that one is louder.

If you're just a home player, the Princeton is one of the best amps you can have for that purpose. You can get into the more musical parts of its tone at more comfortable volumes.

imwjl likes this.
  6. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I dunno, I have a DRRI, a 75 twin and a 74 Vibrolux Reverb. I kinda like playing through the twin, even at low-levels, but the DRRI puts out some great sounds at most any level.

brogh and jman72 like this.
  7. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

you got a classic amp, which will give you all the classic fender tones for a long time, yes it's pretty loud for home use, get a good attenuator for that use, and when you're going to gig you just leave it home :)

i'd stick with the DRRI

Easy Peasy.

uh and welcome :)

Greggorios, Piotr, RadioFM74 and 2 others like this.
  8. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Never personally loved the breakup on my Deluxe Reverb RI. Weber speaker replacement, my sweet spot is around 4.3, where the tubes are pushing and it is full sounding but clean and reasonably loud for most live situations. I do agree it is very versatile and takes most pedals well. If you want early breakup at lower volumes I'd say get a Princeton.

9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I bought a few newer Fender amps over the years and realized amps with printed circuit boards are missing something. So I ended getting used vintage Fender amps, 79 Vibrolux Reverb, 68 Bandmaster both are hand-wired. I don't play out much anymore but love the sound of the amps. They provide that clean sparkle, at least to my ears. I know, I'm weird.

10. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

The power difference between the princeton reverb and the deluxe reverb isn't huge to be honest.

The DRRI has a 12" speaker, as opposed the the 10" in the PRRI - And that's a big difference. I much prefer 12". Much fuller sound.

Each to their own though.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  11. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Here's the best explanation of difference between a Princeton and a Deluxe Reverb:

In the Princeton Reverb -
    1. Tremelo is tube driven, varying the bias rather than a diode/optoisolator switching type. Makes it smoother, richer sounding.
    2. Preamp/Phase inverter is not Blackface style at all, it is pretty much the same as a Brown Fender. Not as bright, less mid cut. Again it is a richer tone than a Deluxe Reverb. One of the best designs anybody ever did.

IMHO, there's not that much real world difference between the wattage. But if you're looking for that classic Fender sparkle/scooped mids keep the Deluxe. If the tone description in 2 above sounds better, the Princeton would suit you.

Personally, my preference is for the Deluxe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    LudwigvonBirk and cleanjunkie like this.
  12. cleanjunkie

cleanjunkie TDPRI Member

Hell yeah, that’s the most helpful answer I could’ve asked for. Thanks for your input man.

Being in the room with just me and the Deluxe (rather than noisy GC next to a 15 y/o shredding death metal) I really love the tone this thing puts out. Realizing for myself why it gets so much love.

Going to look into the Timmy OD pedal recommended here, and see what it’ll run me to maybe get an attenuator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. cleanjunkie

cleanjunkie TDPRI Member

Thanks! Any recommendations on an attenuator that won’t cost me an arm and a leg?

Also, would you say an attenuator shortens the lifespan of the tubes by much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love the DRRI. I don't think you could have made a better choice. I have been through a lot of amps, but the DRRI is without a doubt my favorite.

cleanjunkie likes this.
  15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Tough spot my man.
    You could get a special run Princeton with a 12".
    If you anticipate playing out, there will more likely than not be a PA. Put a microphone in front of it if you can't carry the venue.

I am not a fan of big amps idling at "1" and too loud at "1.5".
    Not that a DRRI is huge, but you know where I'm coming from.

And FWIW, I've never owned a Deluxe reverb but I've always wanted one!

16. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    To me, this response nails it....much fuller, deeper, sound with the DRRI. I like to also say that, to me, the PRRI is much more focused, because of the 10" speaker. FWIW, I've got both, play 99% at home, never thought the DRRI was too loud. Flip a coin, you don't have a "wrong" choice.:D

cleanjunkie and RodeoTex like this.
  17. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

If you're looking to jam with friends, and eventually play out, I think the DRRI is a good choice. Not being able to hit the sweet spot while practicing at home isn't all that big of a deal.

That's not to say that you couldn't pull all that off with the PRRI, but you have a bit of extra headroom with the Deluxe. Not hitting a sweet spot at home is fine, but running out of headroom at a gig sucks!

18. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I say you can't go wrong with either one. I prefer a Princeton over a Deluxe but that's what I like. A Tweed Champ type amp is where it's at for me.

19. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

Deluxe reverb = brighter (bright cap), bigger cabinet (more "full" sound), and a little louder

Princeton = Less bright, smaller cab (a little more "boxy" perhaps, but a good sound nonetheless), and not quite as loud at the same settings.

To me, if you aren't playing with a band, it depends on if you like the brightness and fuller sound of the DR, or would you prefer what the PR has to offer.

20. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

If you play with the setup you have I think you will find some very good sounds can be had. Your rig sounds like what I gigged with for about the last ten years until I quit the band. I have a DRRI and my primary dirt pedal was an OCD. I have used my SG, Gretsch hollow body, and Tele, but my primary guitar was my Strat. Like TheMindful said in his post I set mine around 4 on the volume, depending on the club, and it sounded great when the OCD was kicked in, but had nice enough clean at that volume as well with pedals off.

I now just play over at my daughter's house with my son-in-law. Lately I've just turned the gain back on the OCD for general light dirt and stacked it with a Zen Drive or a Green Rhino for higher gain with good success. I'm not a metal player though, so what I call higher gain ain't what others call it.

I've never played through one, but that Timmy pedal that StoogeSurfer recommended is supposed to be a top line drive that stacks well with other pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.