Slide guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RLee77, Aug 19, 2019.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

WingedWords likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

So many great tips in this thread, I'm inspired to renew my efforts!

I would love to pick up one of my normally strung guitars and be able to get a tone like Sonny Landreth, but it just ain't gonna happen! So I keep one of my "normal" guitars strung with a D'Addarrio EJ22 set (13-56 with wound 3'rd) and tuned to open D. It seems to be the only way I can get a thick, clear tone and almost sound like I know what I'm doing. I use a small, glass Dunlop 212 on my pinky so I can fret the strings with the other three fingers.

RLee77 likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I struggled for years with slide until I found Rock Slides and went to shorter knuckle lengths. I play on all of my medium-low action electric and acoustic guitars with them. Practice and good technique of dampening with your fretting index finger really helps. As I got better, I realized that you really don't strum all 6 strings at the same time, so shorter slides just become easier to manage. Open tuning is easier, but I enjoy the hybrid style of slide and fingerpicking, so the slide might be on my ring finger or pinky depending on the needs of the song. I'm still trying to improve my vibrato with a slide and I think this becomes your own slide signature.

RLee77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.