Slide guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RLee77, Aug 19, 2019.

1. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I use a '61 SG Reissue set up specifically for slide with slightly higher action but .010 strings. I have gone through a lot of slides but finally landed on the Rock Slide (glass and metal). Flat radius is much better for slide and of course an SG has the easiest fret access. Keep in mind if you have a guitar for 'slide only' the fretboard really doesn't come into play. You can buy an inexpensive Epi SG and put decent pickups in and it will be as good as the Gibson.

2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

For you guys that use ring-sized slides, do you get it sized for doing single-string slides, or two-strings?

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

This seems pretty cool, think I’ll try it out... thanks.
    Let us know how you like it.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I will, and you , likewise

5. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Clayton socket-slide on my little finger is my favourite up to now for several reasons; secure and comfortabe fit, its moderate weight and thickness give a good defined & sustained tone, that thin slides don't offer, but it still leaves me feeling a closer reactive contact with the strings; large and thick glass or ceramic slides seem to alienate my conection with the guitar by comparison.....or at least thats how I feel it.

upload_2019-8-20_23-33-15.png When the local music store went bankrupt, the complete stock was auctioned off. One of the lots I purchased was a draw full of slides, and so I have a selection of about 30 or so to choose from, long/short, thick/thin, light/heavy, metal(s)/ceramic(s)/glass, small/medium/large diameter...............I guess I should give (more of) them away, or sell them off, as I tend to use just a few of them.

Guitars; dedicated open tuned mostly G, but D as well. Gauge 12 or 13, higher action, but still comfortable enough to fret. Flatish curved fingerboard.

RoyBGood and Tommy Biggs like this.
  6. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

my avatar is my slide geetar... and I've got a slip nut for my acoustics. The avatar guitar has a flat (no radius) fretboard and I abso love it. Action is low... but I don't hit the frets because i don't tilt my slide. Might not be the right feel for everyone but for me it is awesome sauce.

verb boten likes this.
  7. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

A little bit of tape inside
    I like slides that can reach all the way across the neck, but can work with shorter, if I make them fit tighter.
    [​IMG]

WingedWords and RLee77 like this.
  8. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Flat (no radius) fretboards seem ideal and it's what i prefer, but there are a lot of slide players on strats...different strokes i guess.

9. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

right, well I started (playing slide) on a dano so I guess it's what I know. I can't for the life of me manage to play slide w a radius. the muting alone kills me... but many seem to manage it so... what do I know.

verb boten likes this.
  10. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

How in the world do you get the skin off? Little bastards bite me every time.

11. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Most of my serious slide playing is on a lap steel or a squareneck resonator , Using either a bullet nose steel or a Stevens type steel. No fretting involved on those.
    Every now and then I’ll play a bit of slide on my regular guitars in standard tuning, with my normal action and a light glass slide. Hanging mostly on the D,G,&B strings.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Although I will noodle with open tunings ( on a Martin dread) at home, at gigs,
    I play in Standard tuning...

( just milking a 1-4-5 pattern in usual E or A shape barre chord positions all over neck, plus combining open strings, depending on the key)

Once you get familiar with the ' geography' of the fretboard ( from playing rhythm and lead guitar all over- and THIS took me years...) playing in Standard is not such a big deal.

I play the same stuff whether on acoustic or electric- use slide on pinky so my other fingers are freed up.

Finding the right comfy slide made all the difference in playability and tone:

It's a glass Dunlop 212, which is kind of stubby, 2" of thick glass- nice sustain and weight on the strings/neck, w/o being heavy and clunky, too long. A great ' pinky slide'!

Daytona.57 likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I only ever bring one guitar to shows anymore. Setup for standard but I play slide maybe 15% of the time.

1. Glass slide
    2. Pinky (frees the other three up)
    3. Factory spec action (higher than most like these days) does the trick with a lite touch
    4. Use the “A” shape triad on the DGB stings - you can play all three at once on the same fret and the “F” shape triad on the GBE strings. Play the BE together and then slide up two frets on the G. Sounds cool. And you always know where you are.
    5. Less is more with slide in particular. Fragments. Spare. Sustain and vibrato. Not busy notes.

Have fun

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    RLee77, Daytona.57 and Mr. Neutron like this.
  14. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!! :cool:

From "MilwMark above:

4. Use the “A” shape triad on the DGB stings - you can play all three at once on the same fret and the “F” shape triad on the FBE strings. Play the BE together and then slide up two frets on the G. Sounds cool. And you always know where you are.
    5. Less is more with slide in particular. Fragments. Spare. Sustain and vibrato. Not busy notes.

Great Advice!!!

For me, learning this was REALLY HUGE in my Slide Guitar journey. Also, not allowing the slide to move on strings that it doesn't need to be on minimizes "noise". In other words, say that you're playing on the D,G, & B strings, per above. The slide does not need to be covering (and sliding on) the upper E (lower tone) & A strings, and if possible, not even the lower (higher pitch) E string. Unless you have notes to play on those strings. But that's where focusing on string muting techniques really helps.

I personally have the best luck ditching my regular blue Jim Dunlop jazz tortise pick, so I can also mute with my rt. hand. I'm curious how many folks use a regular regular pick when playing slide?

Tommy Biggs and RLee77 like this.
  15. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I have a couple slides that are big, i've cut the fingers off jersey gloves and use them for padding inside...slip one on my finger and voila!

pixeljammer likes this.
  16. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I always ditch the pick for slide, for me right hand muting is a critical as the left.
    With the exception of bluegrass dobro, where fingerpicks are kinda necessary.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  17. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

RLee77 likes this.
  18. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Lots of great info and advice in here!

19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol:
    Absolutely, a 390 dollar slide will make me a great slide player... :eek:

Wonder if there are any titanium slides?
    ... Who am I kidding, of course there are. Furious Slides, endorsed by quite a line up of players, including one of my favorites, Joe Walsh... 75 bucks, so a steal compared to Wolfram! Ha. I’ll stick with my mundane metal and glass...
    http://furiousslides.com/index.html

789E8DAA-1BD0-4D6C-B49E-035679593F8D.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  20. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Of course there are!

http://furiousslides.com/index.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.